VZW unlimited global data going away

ba-b4

Reaction score
geez this sucks. I only use international data on a occasional basis so no point in leaving it on permanently so I can get grandfathered in. I guess I'll just use the overseas prepaid cards instead. =\

OP
F

freightdog

Reaction score
Just received verizon's email newsletter with this little gem, a few days after they discontinue their global roaming package:

Global Traveler named us "Best Service Provider in the World," noting the ease of our international service.

Yeah, it's still easy, I suppose. Definitely not of any value anymore.

Uxorious

Reaction score
Man that sucks!
The Unlimited Global Data plan was one of the best things VZN had going for them.

mariongiant

Reaction score
I called Verizon this morning. Their rep said that the 70 mb plan can be pro-rated. If you go to Europe for a week, you'll be charged $25, more or less, and can still use the full 70 mb. It's the same idea for North America. You're out of luck in the rest of the world.

She also said they might change it back if enough people protest. It might be worth a few phone calls to that end.

silver6054

Reaction score
I called Verizon this morning. Their rep said that the 70 mb plan can be pro-rated. If you go to Europe for a week, you'll be charged $25, more or less, and can still use the full 70 mb. It's the same idea for North America. You're out of luck in the rest of the world.

She also said they might change it back if enough people protest. It might be worth a few phone calls to that end.

That seems very strange! It makes sense to pro-rate unlimited, but to give the full 70MB for a fraction of the price seems uncharacteristically generous for Verizon. On voice plans, they pro-rate both the allowance and the cost.
But, if it is really true, it makes it a little better (but still not good!

mariongiant

Reaction score
That seems very strange! It makes sense to pro-rate unlimited, but to give the full 70MB for a fraction of the price seems uncharacteristically generous for Verizon. On voice plans, they pro-rate both the allowance and the cost.

I agree that this doesn't make sense, but I asked her specifically if the data was also pro-rated. She said no, that it was 70 mb no matter how long you were in Europe. Even then, that's a very low limit with extremely high penalties for exceeding it.

It's quite possible that she had this wrong. The policy is new, and sometimes the agents get confused.

The larger problem is that, if you travel outside of Europe or North America, the phones are essentially unusable at $20.48/mb.

silver6054

Reaction score

I agree that this doesn't make sense, but I asked her specifically if the data was also pro-rated. She said no, that it was 70 mb no matter how long you were in Europe. Even then, that's a very low limit with extremely high penalties for exceeding it.

It's quite possible that she had this wrong. The policy is new, and sometimes the agents get confused.

The larger problem is that, if you travel outside of Europe or North America, the phones are essentially unusable at $20.48/mb.
Yes, well it's not the phones that are unusable, just need to get them unlocked and use a local SIM!

silver6054

Reaction score

Yes, well it's not the phones that are unusable, just need to get them unlocked and use a local SIM!
I know how much better you can do in the UK (40c per day for 25MB per day on the network I use) but I thought maybe that was just there. But checking Germany, Vodafone websessions: $5.30 per day, or $17.50 for seven days, with a 1GB allowance, or $54 for a month with 3GB allowance.

$100 for 70MB doesn't compare very well!

Uxorious

Reaction score
Well I go to Japan every few months, so I'm screwed.
There's no way I'm leaving data on for $20.48/mb.
Last time I was there, Verizon had made some configuration mistake so while I was indeed on the unlimited plan, they still sent me usage warning text messages.
After landing in Tokyo and taking the train to my hotel, I got a message that I had incurred the first $20.48 roaming charges - a few hours, and all I had done was to turn it on. Next day around noon (I landed at 10pm) I got the second message that the charges were now $200. Scary stuff!

Just called Verizon and got my SIM unlock code ... I guess they will lose money on me since I will not spend a nickle on their SIM card abroad now.
The Global Support lady told me that they had not received too many complaints.

Honestly, I am probably going to switch provider when my contract runs out.
The best things Verizon had going for me were: International Unlimited data and their coverage.
On the other hand, they are pretty useless as an international company otherwise - for example I can't send/receive any text messages from family in many European countries.

mariongiant

Reaction score
Honestly, I am probably going to switch provider when my contract runs out.
The best things Verizon had going for me were: International Unlimited data and their coverage.
On the other hand, they are pretty useless as an international company otherwise - for example I can't send/receive any text messages from family in many European countries.

I won't switch providers, as VZW is the only carrier with 3G in my area.

I've been to Germany and Cyprus with their old international plan, which offered great coverage. I don't think I can do it now. The data limits, even in Europe, are too low for an Android; maybe a Blackberry, but I don't have one of those anymore.

A dumb question, if I might: using a local sim card with data, such as the Vodafone plan mentioned earlier in this thread, is it right to assume that you have access to all the Google stuff on your phone that you do on Verizon here? That's basically what I'll do next time we go overseas.

Uxorious

Reaction score

I've been to Germany and Cyprus with their old international plan, which offered great coverage. I don't think I can do it now. The data limits, even in Europe, are too low for an Android; maybe a Blackberry, but I don't have one of those anymore.

A dumb question, if I might: using a local sim card with data, such as the Vodafone plan mentioned earlier in this thread, is it right to assume that you have access to all the Google stuff on your phone that you do on Verizon here? That's basically what I'll do next time we go overseas.

The coverage in US is certainly better than any of the other providers.

A local SIM should not limit your Google access, but I guess you can't use the Verizon Skype client ... not that you want to anyways.

If the phone is not on Verizon (even when roaming with Verizon SIM) you will not see the Verizon section of the Google market.
There are also a TON of applications you can't download/update while you are abroad as they are only released to the US Market - so remember to install your important apps before you leave.

silver6054

Reaction score

The coverage in US is certainly better than any of the other providers.

A local SIM should not limit your Google access, but I guess you can't use the Verizon Skype client ... not that you want to anyways.

If the phone is not on Verizon (even when roaming with Verizon SIM) you will not see the Verizon section of the Google market.
There are also a TON of applications you can't download/update while you are abroad as they are only released to the US Market - so remember to install your important apps before you leave.
Google Navigation is available fine in most of Europe (including Germany). I didn't see much difference in the market when in the UK, but certainly follow the above advice! What I am now note sur about is if there was a difference in the market when I connected using Wifi vs cell network (I seem to remember seeing prices in $s then, and in pounds when using 3G, but now that sounds a little unlikely).

mariongiant

Reaction score
I called Verizon again today as we're planning a trip to Canada in a couple of months. Now they're saying that the data is pro-rated as well as the price. Effectively in Canada you're limited to 2mb/day, probably less in Europe. She did suggest unlocking the phone, which I think is the only real option now for overseas travel with Verizon. She also said they might reconsider the rates if enough people complained.

silver6054

Reaction score
I called Verizon again today as we're planning a trip to Canada in a couple of months. Now they're saying that the data is pro-rated as well as the price. Effectively in Canada you're limited to 2mb/day, probably less in Europe. She did suggest unlocking the phone, which I think is the only real option now for overseas travel with Verizon. She also said they might reconsider the rates if enough people complained.
It's interesting that now they suggest unlocking, that's a change.

One thing: it looks like the official policy (unless that changed on Jan 16th) is that unlocking will void the warranty. This made almost no sense to me, as unlike rooting, I don't think you can do any damage to the phone just by using another SIM. However, looking around, it seems most carriers have a similar policy (presumably just because they can).

So, that might put some people off. If they strictly enforce it, is is an issue, as I don't know if there is a way to relock the phone (SBF doesn't do this).

If that does worry you, it might be time to go back to the old stand-by, get a good (Android) phone for use in the US, and a cheap unlocked GSM phone for making call and texts abroad! Of course, after using smartphones here,it is hard to do without when abroad....

chriskan

Reaction score
I too can confirm that the data is pro-rated as well. Roughly 2.3 MB per day (or, since I'm going to be gone in February, I get a whopping 2.5 MB per day)! This really does suck and I expressed my dissapointment with three different Verizon agents (including a global team supervisor). He said the change was due to the cost that Verizon was incurring. I got my D2 Global back in November and used the unlimited data plan the week I got the phone as I was on a trip in Italy. It was great. I am leaving today for Romania and called yesterday to activate the plan again and that's when I found out the change. I was hoping to use Google maps as I drove around Romania - so instead I spent an hour downloading various offline nav apps and maps to find one I like. I really hope Verizon reconsiders.

Chris
Als Ik Kan