Webtop 3.0

clellisx

Reaction score
Ok, I'm really confused here. The current version of web top is a disaster. It's a nice comment, but the execution is terrible. Even with rebooting my phone, closing all the running phone apps, only using one firefox tab at a time, and disabling flash, it is still terrible. It's constantly freezing for a few seconds at a time, and the web top will actually reboot itself. The rebooting issue got so bad I actually sent it back to Motorola for repair.

I'm using a completely stock bionic with a bionic lap dock.

That pretty much sums it up :biggrin:

There appeared to be a whole slew of faulty lapdocks out there whihc might have also been a problem of yours?

Either way I don't see webtop 3 as the best thing ever but it certainly makes me happy for the simply fact it runs smooth thanks to ICS. Anything on GB was absolute rubbish. And I recommend no one gets their panties in a wad "just yet" as ICS OTA hasn't been released and there's still time for change/improvements. While doubtful it could happen. And even then after the OTA drops there's still a chance for more improvements to get pushed after that. Don't know about anyone else but I'm not keeping this phone forever especially with JB on the way down the pike. Can't say it enough times that people just need to be thankful ICS was even ported for the Bionic. Motorolla/Verizon could've told all of us to stick it and there's nothing we could've done about it. After all, this is exactly one way they get people to upgrade phones. Why upgrade if your phone makes you happy and and it works? You don't.
ICS leak has taken my irritating Bionic to a most pleasant and usable device. C'mon OTA and thank you Verizon and Motorolla!

dnyc

Reaction score
to clarify, i'm not using a lapdock - i'm using a webtop adapter and an HD dock
also, i have a RAZR, for which OTA ICS has been released - so i have real deal webtop 3.0
i totally agree that the old webtop version with firefox was buggy and could use improvement - but the premise was sound - it was a desktop/PC emulator
but they didn't even try to debug and improve it - the new webtop is a whole new product - it's not a desktop/PC emulator, it's a tablet emulator - there's a big difference - and i didn't buy a moto to get a tablet emulator, i bought it to get what i had originally - and now they pulled the rug out from under me

OP
B

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
So with the SystemUI crash fixed and using the stock launcher... I may be beginning to see the light!
I can see how, through widgets and the separate phone and lapdock homescreens, that it can be useful! It's all information at a glance, rather than buried in apps in your phone in a windowed desktop environment. The stock browser is surprisingly useful, as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

altbrian

Reaction score
I loved my hd station, the full desktop version of firefox was great, I had plenty of bookmarks and even a few add-ons.
Being able to click and have my phone in another window was absolutely fantastic.
Webtop 3 made the hd station a worthless pile of junk now.
I can just plug the phone, via hdmi cable, into any monitor and launch webtop.
$100 hd station or $7 hdmi cable.....not a hard choice.
I'll be taking the hd station back, Verizon can give me my money back.

altbrian

Reaction score
You might wanna wait for the ota before you try that since you found out about webtop 3.0 on an unofficial warranty voiding leak. Just sayin' y'know?

My update was the official OTA update.
I have the Razr....

llama_d

Reaction score
I just got the .232 leak

I just got the .232 leak for my bionic and am wondering if anyone here that is using webtop 3.0 knows how to hide the nav bar at the bottom when doing things like watching netflix. It is really croping a lot of my screen since it makes the app smaller on the left right and bottom.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorolla/Verizon could've told all of us to stick it and there's nothing we could've done about it. After all, this is exactly one way they get people to upgrade phones. Why upgrade if your phone makes you happy and and it works? You don't.
ICS leak has taken my irritating Bionic to a most pleasant and usable device. C'mon OTA and thank you Verizon and Motorolla!

Moto never had any plans to tell us to "stick it" as far as ICS was concerned. It was advertised from the getgo as an ICS capable device, and was build with 1GB of RAM with ICS in mind. While it has taken longer to get ICS than many would have liked, many people with other devices from other manufacturers are waiting as well.

Although I never thought of GB as rubbish - just not as nice as ICS.

Graymayre

Reaction score
Ok, so to sum some of this up...

Webtop 2.0 UI had lots of potential and was an excellent experience. It was as close to having a laptop/phone hybrid as you could get while retaining as much functionality as possible of both.
Downside: Memory issues were rampant. If you did not have your phone completely minimalistic in apps and UI, the webtop would be seriously limited in fuction. This is partially attributed to the limited available memory and the fact that the device was having to operate two complete UIs in unison while running all services and apps as well. As well, mobile apps had to usually be run in mobile view anyway with blown up proportions, and cause quality issues in video and graphics as they were scaled for the lower resolution.

Webtop 3.0 is supposed to be a fluid transformation of your phone into a tablet, as ICS is supposed to be a lycanthrop of sorts, able to transform to the devices it is running on so that you won't have so many different builds that it takes an entire forum population to keep tabs on them all. This eliminates the memory issues due to the fact that it is not forced to run dual UIs and your apps run more effectively and proportionally.
Downsides: The fact that it is a tablet interface without a touch screen and severely hinders you if you do not have an external mouse. The potential we all saw in 2.0 is practically flushed down the toilet and all of our hopes and dreams with it (ubuntu builds, chrome OS potential).

I am currently trying to install ICS 232, and before I do so I have been doing research and this is what I think I've learned so far. Is this accurate everybody?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am currently trying to install ICS 232, and before I do so I have been doing research and this is what I think I've learned so far. Is this accurate everybody?

Dunno about the operational specifics you mention, but in terms of the practical effects, it's dead on.

tracer

Reaction score

That's a pretty good summary. I'm getting used to the new UI, but I still miss having multiple windows open on one screen - it was very useful for work.

OP
B

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Graymayre said:
Ok, so to sum some of this up...

Webtop 2.0 UI had lots of potential and was an excellent experience. It was as close to having a laptop/phone hybrid as you could get while retaining as much functionality as possible of both.
Downside: Memory issues were rampant. If you did not have your phone completely minimalistic in apps and UI, the webtop would be seriously limited in fuction. This is partially attributed to the limited available memory and the fact that the device was having to operate two complete UIs in unison while running all services and apps as well. As well, mobile apps had to usually be run in mobile view anyway with blown up proportions, and cause quality issues in video and graphics as they were scaled for the lower resolution.

Webtop 3.0 is supposed to be a fluid transformation of your phone into a tablet, as ICS is supposed to be a lycanthrop of sorts, able to transform to the devices it is running on so that you won't have so many different builds that it takes an entire forum population to keep tabs on them all. This eliminates the memory issues due to the fact that it is not forced to run dual UIs and your apps run more effectively and proportionally.
Downsides: The fact that it is a tablet interface without a touch screen and severely hinders you if you do not have an external mouse. The potential we all saw in 2.0 is practically flushed down the toilet and all of our hopes and dreams with it (ubuntu builds, chrome OS potential).

I would say that is about as accurate of an assessment as we're going to get. Webtop 2.0 and 3.0 both have their up- and down-sides and it's really debatable which is better than the other. If the lapdock had a touchscreen, webtop 3.0 would make it among the most amazing pieces of consumer technology ever created.

I am having a premonition, and it is that there will in the future indeed be a lapdock that has a touchscreen, and it will be released alongside the Droid Razr MAXX 2.
The MAXX 2 will have Android 4.1 JB, a 1.8 GHz quad-core processor, 2 GB of ram, and a 4.5" 1080p screen. It will be released just before the holidays in 2013.
The MAXX lapdock will be identical to the lapdock 100 in terms of size, but will have a 1080p touchscreen, MHL, and a SSD, along with two USB 3.0 ports.

I see the future

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Graymayre

Reaction score
That would be nice. Although I doubt they will implement a touchscreen into a lapdock, that would be unjustified engineering for them. They would probably be more inclined to making the tablet webtop version more lapdock friendly.

altbrian

Reaction score
Ok, I'm really confused here. The current version of web top is a disaster. It's a nice comment, but the execution is terrible. Even with rebooting my phone, closing all the running phone apps, only using one firefox tab at a time, and disabling flash, it is still terrible. It's constantly freezing for a few seconds at a time, and the web top will actually reboot itself. The rebooting issue got so bad I actually sent it back to Motorola for repair.

I'm using a completely stock bionic with a bionic lap dock.

I NEVER had a problem with webtop 2.0 on my HD station.
I could surf multiple Firefox tabs, send and receive texts while on the phone.
The only time there was any lag is when I was also running WiFi through my phone and just using all of the bandwidth.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I NEVER had a problem with webtop 2.0 on my HD station.
I could surf multiple Firefox tabs, send and receive texts while on the phone.
The only time there was any lag is when I was also running WiFi through my phone and just using all of the bandwidth.
Well, maybe its my Bionic lapdock itself. I already sent it back once for repair, since it was rebooting on its own. I got it back, and its still doing it. Just set up another repair with Moto, so we'll see what happens.