What is a ROM, How do I install it? Which is the best?

Garandhero

Reaction score
As I ask in the Title?

What is a ROM?
How do I install it?
Where Do I download it from?
Which is the best?
What does it improve?
What are the risks?

Thanks!

Probably best you just don't worry about it...

Don't be like that! There was a time that NONE of us knew nothing about any of this too! The only stupid question is the question that isn't asked! For all you know, he could be a dev someday! Give the guy a break!
To the OP, you can find the answers by using the search box on the home screen and Google is always helpful too!

+1 to this post. We were all new once. I was and relied on help just like the op. Pm me if you need any help.

+1 to this post. We were all new once. I was and relied on help just like the op. Pm me if you need any help.

+1!! Its so hateful to talk down to someone who asks for help! Imagine if someone had done that to Pete...Bugless Beast (well, started as Bugless Beauty) would have never came to be! The Forums are for support, not to bash others! If negativity is the only response you can give someone, just don't comment!

Last edited:
I really hate to say this because it's not usually my style, but 84 posts in 2 months, and still doesn't know what a ROM is? I think someone telling them to read a little more is exactly what was needed.

As I ask in the Title?

What is a ROM?
How do I install it?
Which is the best?
What does it improve?
What are the risks?

Thanks!

Now that I'm at a computer let me respond.

-A rom is a custom operating system made by developers.

-You can install through many methods. Rom Manager being one

-Some roms can be downloaded right here from the forums, others through rom manager. It's really based off of personal preference.

-Once again based off of personal prefrence.

- Custom roms can improve quite a few different things. ex. faster speeds, use of less memory, even neat little tweaks to make your phone more enjoyable.

-Rooting theming or putting custom roms on your phone can always be a risk.
Messing with the operating systems and its OG designs can cause issues. There are always solutions to almost every problem.

Do like I did. It took me about a month of reading post after post to even get the nerve to just root my phone. I was prepared though when I finally crossed that fence.

Once again if you have any issues or problems , thats what these forums are here for.

Not the most detailed response but I hope I answered a few questions. And I know that my grammar is horrible so no comments lol

As I ask in the Title?

What is a ROM?
How do I install it?
Which is the best?
What does it improve?
What are the risks?

Thanks!

-Some roms can be downloaded right here from the forums, others through rom manager. It's really based off of personal preference.

- Custom roms can improve quite a few different things. ex. faster speeds, use of less memory, even neat little tweaks to make your phone more enjoyable.

Messing with the operating systems and its OG designs can cause issues. There are always solutions to almost every problem.

Do like I did. It took me about a month of reading post after post to even get the nerve to just root my phone. I was prepared though when I finally crossed that fence.

Once again if you have any issues or problems , thats what these forums are here for.

Not the most detailed response but I hope I answered a few questions. And I know that my grammar is horrible so no comments lol

+1. awesome reply, It's good people like this that helps. I know that I've asked some retarded questions before. Thanks to all that has helped.

To the OP, I installed the Black Glass 928Droid BGX 2.2 theme, I love it. Just my opinion. I downloaded it from the forum. It took me awhile to get the nerve to install a ROM. But glad I did, Now just waiting on the official release of froyo to start all over again.

As I ask in the Title?

What is a ROM?
How do I install it?
Which is the best?
What does it improve?
What are the risks?

Thanks!

+1. awesome reply, It's good people like this that helps. I know that I've asked some retarded questions before. Thanks to all that has helped.

To the OP, I installed the Black Glass 928Droid BGX 2.2 theme, I love it. Just my opinion. I downloaded it from the forum. It took me awhile to get the nerve to install a ROM. But glad I did, Now just waiting on the official release of froyo to start all over again.

One post could have ended this thread a long time ago.

That would have been directing the OP to this link:
android custom roms - Google Search

Seriously... People are saying, "don't jump on the guy he's new to this stuff." But c'mon. On my first droid, I rooted it (the hard way) and installed about 20 roms and never asked a single question on the forums. I'm a tile installer and I had 0 experience with ANY of this stuff (I'm talking about NONE WHATSOEVER) but I do know how to google and hit the button that says "search".
I'm def not patting myself on the back because I'm still a noob compared to some people on here, but these forums need to stay clean and un-cluttered so that they're easy to navigate.

Back