Z06_Mir's battery life trials and tribulations

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
If you've followed the "tips for improving your battery life" thread, then you've probably seen me post. I picked up my Thunderbolt on launch day more than a week ago, and here is what I have experienced.

The first two to three days I got around 4 hours of life after adjusting settings. My settings remain the same...
Screen - 1% (dimmest it can go)
Syncing - Only emails arrive instantly, friendstream is off, weather is 30 minutes
Widgets - Battery life, HTC clock/weather
Installed the app that kills apps on starup (not task killer)

Middle of last week though, something changed. I was getting over 12 hours of charge with 4+ hours of screen on time plus talking. wow! I was doing this dancedroid and living the good life.

Two days ago however, it all went back. I have changed no settings, go no new places.. and always on 4G as usual. Now I'm at 3.5 hours of battery life, if I'm lucky. I'm at 75% battery life right now with 1.5 hours since unplugged, 7 minutes of screen on time and 2 minutes of voice calls.

Defective battery? Possibly. I hope it's not a defective handset, because I really don't want to start all over with apps (mostly angry birds.....)

Hopefully my problems can help you. Good luck.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I believe I just turned off the BlockBuster updater thing. Hopefully that helps some too.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Unplugged for 1 hour 5 minutes, 78% remaining.
2 minutes display on time accounting for 14% of use. 1 hour of cell standby for 60%!!

AHHHHH.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Went to Verizon today, they told me to install JuiceDefender (which I already did, but didn't like it so I disabled it) and gave me a new battery. The new battery seems to hold up quite well... was at 31%, went to Target for 45 minutes did some light texting there and still at 31%. woot!

yukon

Reaction score
Went to Verizon today, they told me to install JuiceDefender (which I already did, but didn't like it so I disabled it) and gave me a new battery. The new battery seems to hold up quite well... was at 31%, went to Target for 45 minutes did some light texting there and still at 31%. woot!

i did the same for my gf, got her a new battery, lasted 3 days and now its draining in like half a day....and she doesnt even sue it other then texting. She went back to verizon to complain about the battery and they gave her a free charger and said thats how the phone is..... fuken idiots. they have no brain at the stores....

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Mine has been doing real good for the past two days. Ive had the phone for about a week. I dont use the phone much during the day at work (9 hours), but I do a bit of texting and surfing when I get home. I got 18hours of battery yesterday with 17% remaining when I went to sleep. I dont have FB or Twitter sycning, but I do have Gmail and Exchange mail pushing.. also have weather syncing. I have all my home screens filled up.. widgets = pandora, extended controls x 3, power amp, tip calc, and one or two other things. Brightness is set to about 20%... I also have "always on mobile data" unchecked under mobile networks.

At first I didnt think there was anyway Id be able to deal with this phone, but now that it's making it from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, it's good to go.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with the batt life this past week. I get down to around 50% and pull the batt to reboot and wheit comes back it's at around 25%. I don't think the batt is draining that much from one reboot but something is going on. My guess is that the phone is not charging the battery all the way AND It's not reporting the correct time remaining as it drains throughout the day.

This is a serious pain in the ass and I hope an update fixes it. I am on a 2750 batt by the way and don't even get close to a full day.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that my battery lasts around 12 hours with moderate to heavy use. usually an hour of talk time with a couple hours of screen time (I've been reading a book on the Kindle app while listening to Pandora) I do try to charge around 4pm or when I'm at 50% or so, so that my battery will last 20 hours or so when I go out. I did activate juicedefender and it didn't help or hurt the battery. All in all I'm happy with it now and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Update

Things were going well, my battery was lasting all day and I was having no issues. Then yesterday it all started again. I unplugged today and within 3 hours it was dead. 30 minutes of talk time the rest standby.. no games or texting even. It makes no sense at all. It says screen time takes majority of battery life but I only had 4 minutes of it!!!!

It's been charging for over an hour now and has only gone up 10%.. again, not even using it.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I started having problems with my battery as well. Have you installed a new app that might be running in the background?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I think I figured out my charging problem... it was a stupid thing by me... charger wasn't quite plugged in all the way... haha.

when it was fully charged I unplugged and it is doing fine again.. great battery life. i did go in and force stop a bunch of apps that weren't needed and that seemed to have helped... nothing out of the ordinary though and I usually do a restart once a day or every other day. Who knows.

Reaction score
:)

I think I figured out my charging problem... it was a stupid thing by me... charger wasn't quite plugged in all the way... haha.

when it was fully charged I unplugged and it is doing fine again.. great battery life. i did go in and force stop a bunch of apps that weren't needed and that seemed to have helped... nothing out of the ordinary though and I usually do a restart once a day or every other day. Who knows.

Yea my girlfriend did the same thing. We both got the entended battery because we love to watch our slingboxes. With the playoffs it's a must

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Update

Things were going well, my battery was lasting all day and I was having no issues. Then yesterday it all started again. I unplugged today and within 3 hours it was dead. 30 minutes of talk time the rest standby.. no games or texting even. It makes no sense at all. It says screen time takes majority of battery life but I only had 4 minutes of it!!!!

It's been charging for over an hour now and has only gone up 10%.. again, not even using it.

This is a problem Im having I think. Sometimes the battery is good, and sometimes it gets zapped in 4 hours. Battery usage doesnt tell you much, and even when I go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu, there's nothing running under partial wake that is killing the phone.

I think it's something up with the radios in the phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My TB out of the box gets 12-14hrs.....no tweaking needed.