2012 razr family update ot kitkat news 4/14/2014

aarong03

Reaction score
Well I installed it, but my Razr HD is locked. I can get into the root menu. Anyone know how I can unlock it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Can't root a locked phone on kit Kat. If you have an unlocked bootloader then you can.

TWRP will need to be updated to work as well.

Sent from my DE Moto X

Last edited:

aarong03

Reaction score
Can't root a locked phone on kit Kat. If you have an unlocked bootloader then you can.

Sent from my DE Moto X

No, Installed Kitkat then was rebooting and it is just sitting on the motorola symbol. I can get into root menu, but I'm not sure what I need to select in order to unlock the phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
So bootloop....,? May need to factory reset.

Sent from my DE Moto X

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
First I wanna make sure you are allowing it enough time to boot. With a major update like that boot may take 5-10 minutes...

If it still fails. You want to enter recovery from the menu, then factory reset wipe data.

Sent from my DE Moto X

aarong03

Reaction score
First I wanna make sure you are allowing it enough time to boot. With a major update like that boot may take 5-10 minutes...

If it still fails. You want to enter recovery from the menu, then factory reset wipe data.

Sent from my DE Moto X

Yes, it ran for a over a half hour. Still has motorola symbol. I was able to get into the fastboot menu and it says device is locked, connect usb cable. I've tried recovery option, once I get the little android symbol I can not get to the next menu for the choice you suggest. I am pressing both up and down volume keys to get into that menu, but it's not allowing me to.

swharshbar

Reaction score
I got my KitKat update on my Razr Maxx HD this morning, and so far so good. I just need to tweak some settings I think to my preference. I'll report back how it goes later.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'm pretty sure kit Kat changed the buttons. Once on the Android symbol hold volume down and still holding it down tap volume up. If that doesn't work do it vice versa.

Sent from my DE Moto X

aarong03

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure kit Kat changed the buttons. Once on the Android symbol hold volume down and still holding it down tap volume up. If that doesn't work do it vice versa.

Sent from my DE Moto X

Ok did as per your instructions, but still not able to get the menu. Also the android symbol is not as bright as it was before all this.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Well, if you can get to the bootloader again, plug it in so you can charge your battery...

Other than that I am out of suggestions. Sounds like something is very wrong and you should contact Verizon or Moto.

Had you made any modifications to the phone before the update?

Sent from my DE Moto X

aarong03

Reaction score
Well, if you can get to the bootloader again, plug it in so you can charge your battery...

Other than that I am out of suggestions. Sounds like something is very wrong and you should contact Verizon or Moto.

Had you made any modifications to the phone before the update?

Sent from my DE Moto X

It was just rooted prior to update. I unrooted with voodoo and then downloaded the update and installed it. Thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestion regarding plugging it in. I don't have my wall charger with at the moment. Hopefully someone else might have some other options for me if I can not get it running still. I can plug it into my computer, will that work? Or do I need to use the wall charger?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Just use the computer for now. It will be good to see if the phone recognizes being plugged into as well. It should say USB connected.

If it was just rooted with no modifications then this shouldn't have happened.

A factory reset will most likely fix it but obviously you can't go in.

Just for giggles, have you tried pressing every button combo you can imagine at that Android screen for recovery? Throw in the power button too.

Sent from my DE Moto X

aarong03

Reaction score
Just use the computer for now. It will be good to see if the phone recognizes being plugged into as well. It should say USB connected.

If it was just rooted with no modifications then this shouldn't have happened.

A factory reset will most likely fix it but obviously you can't go in.

Just for giggles, have you tried pressing every button combo you can imagine at that Android screen for recovery? Throw in the power button too.

Sent from my DE Moto X

I was able to get the recovery menu, by pressing the volume down and power, I wiped cashe first but will go directly to factory reset next. I will advise.