Otterbox and General Case questions

TNTIger62

Reaction score
New here but not new to the Droid . . . I have the new Droid Razr and love it. On my OG Droid I had a Body Glove case which really protected the phone and made it easier to hold. In addition to the case I had a leather pouch with a belt hook. I couldn't find a Body Glove case so I got the Otterbox Defender. So here's the dumb question - what's the easiest way to pop the phone in and out of the holster and should the phone face inwards or outwards while in the holster?

I've always avoided holsters because they felt flimsy but this one is so secure that I'm afraid I'll struggle to grab the phone when I need it.

Also, I noticed that there are 4 places on the case that are quickly being torn by the holding points of the holster. I'm guessing that they were designed to be torn since these points are outlined on the case but since no one else mentioned it I thought I'd ask about them. Perhaps it will be easier to holster/de-holster the phone when these rub completely off.

Last but not least, is there another case that is thinner and has a grippy surface like the Otterbox? I looked at all the cases at the Verizon store and they are all slick/high gloss silicone covers. If I can get used to the holster I'll keep the Otterbox otherwise I need something that will protect the phone and fit in my leather pouch.

Thanks!

FernBch

Reaction score
I have the defender for my DX. It only took a couple days to get use to holstering/unholstering and I carry it screen in. It seemed a little bulky at first but I got use to that pretty quick, too. Now the defender is my case of choice, my new phone will be getting one right away.

Into The VorteX

SallyC

Reaction score
Last but not least, is there another case that is thinner and has a grippy surface like the Otterbox? I looked at all the cases at the Verizon store and they are all slick/high gloss silicone covers. If I can get used to the holster I'll keep the Otterbox otherwise I need something that will protect the phone and fit in my leather pouch.

I have the otterbox commuter and really like it. It's slimmer than the defender, and there's no holster so that may be a show stopper for you. But I didn't want something that would add bulk and I actually like the grip of it better than without the case. It feels less likely to slip out. Also, fyi, it comes with a screen protector that has an access hole for the mic at the bottom front and the hard case has access holes for the mic, speaker and other things on the back. Plus soft foam covers for the access ports which I appreciate protecting.

OP
T

TNTIger62

Reaction score
Thanks all . . . for those who have the Otterbox Defender I still need help figuring out how to easily slip it in and out of the holster.

Thanks!!

satarecah

Reaction score
ok put your holster on table... look at it at eye level belt clip down duh :p the more curver slightly larger side should be facing your butt or towards the ground depending which way you use your case... after that you just pop the little things facing your front side while holding onto your phone

OP
T

TNTIger62

Reaction score
Thanks all - I've finally gotten used to it but most days I don't even use the holster since I'm usually wearing a jacket with pockets. When it warms up in the spring I'll go back to the holster and I think I've got the hang of it now.

Dweib

Reaction score
I dumped the big and ugly (rectangular hockey puck) defender in favor of the Motorola shell/holster combo. Check it out in the accessories app. Light weight, versatile, protective plus it looks great! Also the HD and navigation docks work with it perfectly. win, win situation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Kstyle723

Reaction score
Lol, I don't think there is an easy way... because it would be easy to fall out. Mine snaps in tight either way...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums