Removing Unwanted Included Apps

Agrajag

Reaction score
I have a few apps I'd like to kill off in my desire to free as much space as possible.

I'm assuming each of these are not tied to the OS (or at least most of them) but I don't use any of them so I'd like them gone. What's the process for removing them as you can't do so with the default Uninstall approaches:

Calculator (I use Retro Calculator)
Latitude (boring battery draining)
Music (I use Music, in other words the new cloud app from Google)
News and Weather (total waste)
QuickOffice (I don't use Office so another waste for me)

Thanks.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have a few apps I'd like to kill off in my desire to free as much space as possible.

I'm assuming each of these are not tied to the OS (or at least most of them) but I don't use any of them so I'd like them gone. What's the process for removing them as you can't do so with the default Uninstall approaches:

Thanks.

Assuming you're rooted, use 7zip to open the ROM archive before flashing. Go to system/apps and delete any .apk's you don't want to install.

If already installed check the ROM to see if it has scripts for removing system apps.

If not, use a program such as Root Explorer to browse to system/apps and delete the .apk's from there.

Be careful with any of these choices. DO NOT delete anything you are unsure about.

jayman350

Reaction score
if you have Titanium Backup you can also remove any programs via the Backup/Restore Menu. Just press on the app and then select uninstall

OP
A

Agrajag

Reaction score
Did the Titanium Backup approach and it worked. Thanks. The music is working fine without the core music app. Calc gone. News gone (I need to check that as I think someone else mentioned it was used for some odd core functionality). QuickOffice gone. I'll be damned if I can find Latitude so I won't worry about it.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
you can remove all of those minus latitude, because its part of the stock maps app, but the rest are fine to remove

Thanks.

saradroid

Reaction score
I'd like to remove the stock skimpily dressed women wallpapers.. haha ..
don't do much for me. can you tell me how?

listenman20

Reaction score
if you don't care for any of the DC wallpapers then you can just remove that whole app using root explorer. the default one you should be able to replace with your favorite either by long pressing homescreen and choosing your paper of choice or use your favorite backgrounds app. the default one is written into framework i think, which makes it harder to remove from the phone altogether but once it's replaced you shouldn't see it again unless you revert back to stock for some reason.

genebean

Reaction score

If you pull it out the way I posted about just above you can open the app and save the wallpapers you like to your SD card.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
the one is built in, the other is in the DCWallpaper app, you can either remove the app altogether if you wish, and once you change wallpapers you wont see the default one anyway. And if you backup your settings google should automatically change to the wallpaper you had set before rather than going to the system default.

dpaine88

Reaction score
Hey woodyman,

to make room for the new vending.apk that came out I had to delete a few things in/system/app.

I deleted

1) Launcher2(i use LPP)
2) the sony launcher
3)geniewidget.apk(should be news/weather)
4)quick office

Are these 4 safe?

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
no problems as long as you have a replacement launcher :)
and the other 2 aren't needed neither. :)

Hey woodyman,

to make room for the new vending.apk that came out I had to delete a few things in/system/app.

I deleted

1) Launcher2(i use LPP)
2) the sony launcher
3)geniewidget.apk(should be news/weather)
4)quick office

Are these 4 safe?