2 simple questions about Clockwork Recovery

Reaction score
Hello friends I am looking for a couple simple answers to a couple simple questions about Clockwork if anyone would mind. First, how does a person boot into Clockwork from power off? I know how to access the stock recovery: power & x; and I know how to get into Bootloader: power & vol. up. I ask this in case I ever need to restore a Nandroid backup and I can't get into recovery via the app. That leads me to my second question. If I ever have the need to restore a Nandroid backup do I still wipe data/wipe cache before I restore? Please look over my inexperience. I have searched all over trying to find these answers. Any help is always appreciated.

Sent from my newly liberated Droid2

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well to answer the first you cannot easily boot into recovery from powered off, there is a supposed work around but I never got it to work for me. That's the unfortunate reality with a locked boot loader.

And second you can wipe it but you do not need to. The restore process wipes everything for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've only found one way to reboot into cwr from off... And I've only tried it on 2nd Init roms such as cm... And it involves adb

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Good point nemo, I didn't think about adb booting it. That's something I always forget about.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Ok knowing that, when do you use the Nandroid backup? Say I flash a ROM and I screw up and I can't get into the Clockwork app, say it keeps FCing? Is that when you SBF to stock, re-download Clockwork, then go in and restore your backup? (Cause the backup is stored on SD right?) I know these may seem like dumb questions, am sure they are, but I have scoured the internet and this and other forums and it is difficult to find straightforward answers like the 2 that was just answered for me. Thanks! I have yet to flash a ROM because while I understand the general process: wipe data/cache...flash, I want a general sense of what to do should something go wrong.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
JSM, I think you have answered ?'s for me before. Read about ADB elsewhere, no clue what it is though. I guess I will be researching tonight. :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok knowing that, when do you use the Nandroid backup? Say I flash a ROM and I screw up and I can't get into the Clockwork app, say it keeps FCing? Is that when you SBF to stock, re-download Clockwork, then go in and restore your backup? (Cause the backup is stored on SD right?)...

Yup. That is the type of situation you could use a nandroid in. Also before I flash a new rom I will make one. If I don't like the new then I just restore the old. Typically I make one right after flashing a new rom and before modifying too much else as well.

JSM, I think you have answered ?'s for me before. Read about ADB elsewhere, no clue what it is though. I guess I will be researching tonight. :)

Its very possible I have, I get around here quite a bit lol. And I'm not much of a pro with adb but there are some good quides and how tos out there.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

chevyno1 had a great guide to installing adb on this forum

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to get into Clockwork Mod from power off just press the down volume key when you see the M logo and the blue L.E.D. flashes in the upper right hand corner.

If you accidentally hit the down volume key too soon it will simply take you into the boot menu, from which you can select recovery, and then CWM Recovery.

Last edited:
OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
I have gotten into it twice before. The first time was completely by accident. I was just holding my phone weird I think while turning it on and boom, CWM. The second time I held Vol. Up, Vol. Down and Camera and Power and got in. I have not been able to replicate that though. I will give your way a shot and see what happens.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you want to get into Clockwork Mod from power off just press the down volume key when you see the M logo and the blue L.E.D. flashes in the upper right hand corner.

I believe that's only for roms like miui they have the boot menu built in