.902 Root Method (complete) + Safestrap. Features Th3ory Axi0m ROM

battle

Reaction score
If you follow this guide, you will have Axi0m (ICS build) AND your stock ROM installed on your DROID BIONIC which has to already have the .902 OTA update

FIRST download Motorola drivers
ROOT/UNROOT Droid Bionic - RootzWiki
depending on your WINDOWS system you will either need
32 bit Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_32bit. msi
64 bit Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit. msi

SECOND download the .902 exploit
Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
here is the actual download link
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip

THIRD root your Droid Bionic
Instructions were taken from these two websites and combined to make things easier
How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic via wicked Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
1. Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed
2. Download the motofail_windows.zip file from above and unzip it to your Windows PC.
3. On your phone go into Settings>Applications>Development and check the box for USB Debugging.
4. Plug phone into your computer and select “Charge Only” mode.
5. Navigate to upzipped folder and execute run.bat
6. Follow the instructions in the command window.
7. Your phone will complete 3 steps, rebooting along the way. When it finishes, you will be rooted.
(you may have to set your phone to charge only again after it reboots, I can't remember)

FOURTH download the ROM you want
I like this ROM if you're trying to get an ICS build for the bionic
Axi0m | cm9 | 4.0.3 | 2/18/2012 via DroidTh3ory
here is the download link AXI0M IONIC ALPHA
If you choose this ROM, also download this apk http://db.tt/Xa50f7qY
place both files on your external SD card
DO NOT UNZIP anything

FIFTH install safestrap
(this allows you to have your STOCK ROM and install any other ROM you like in a "safe" mode so you can switch back and forth)
instructions here
[HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup via guidot
make sure you read and understand these instructions

SIXTH install ROM
instructions here
[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP) via guidot
For the Axi0m ROM:
YOU MUST BE ON THE .902 UPDATE TO RUN THIS OR YOU WILL BRICK
NOTE: For Data go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Network Mode/ Select GSM only wait till the screen flashes twice (or it says 4G SIM detected would you like to switch to LTE/CDMA) then switch to LTE/CDMA. Data will come up.

Personal tips: (related to Axi0m ROM)

Once the ROM has started
Its going to ask you to try and sign into your google account
This won't work because you're not receiving data.
You can either connect to a WiFi network OR cancel and sign into your google account later

To get Data working
go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Network Mode/ Select GSM only wait till the screen flashes twice (or it says 4G SIM detected would you like to switch to LTE/CDMA) then switch to LTE/CDMA. Data will come up.
You will have to do this everytime you boot up.

When you initially boot the rom, a loud boot noise will play
To stop this
"go into system/media and delete the audio file, that's the boot sound. It's the folder with bootanimation.zip in it."
-via DroidmanDan

I use Titanium backup, but if you choose to restore apps, make sure you proceed with caution.
I initially restored apps and data and went thru the list carefully to make sure I wasn't going to mess with the build.
However, I ended up deleting all the ringers and notification sounds (this build has the ICS ones and they're nice) and caused some other errors.
When I flashed the ROM a second time, and manually installed and configured everything, its all perfect, No issues.

When you rearrange apps, if you place on over another, it will automatically create a folder, similar to how iDevices do.

There you go!
Good luck!
-battle

Last edited:
OP
battle

battle

Reaction score
can anybody confirm that this guide works?
and that I'm not missing any steps?

harryhun

Reaction score
Help: i can't find GSM only

I did all the steps you mentioned, when I restarted the XT875, in the mobile network settings, i only find two options: lte/cdma and cdma only, so i can't set it to GSM only. and i can't get data network back. And i dialed *#*#4636#*#*, change the network to GSM only, and now it pop the information " com.android.phone" stop run" again and again, so what can i do now?

vbn

Reaction score
Is there a route back to stock (unrooted) if following this procedure?

Mattcat1

Reaction score
Battle...I was just gonna get on and type the basics of what you just NAILED in ludicrous detail! Fantastic job! You should throw this on EVERY Android and Bionic forum out there. The only thing I'm not sure of right now is the links for the downloads. The original Th3ory site is down last I checked but his DL's were also at bionic.th3oryrom.us.to.

If I can add, there is a 902 compatable Liberty 3 Gold out there also.

And in my opinion from using all of the aforementioned ROMs, Kin3tx with AOSP add on and Th3ory(s)cream t-pax is the bomb! Fast and stable as hell! And using all the ROMs was made so easy due to safestrap! Non-safe was just a backup of my stock rooted system and all ROMs tried out on safe side. And backed up on SD card after install and tweaking too!

And to answer another oft seen question, the backup files can be renamed in any file viewing/editing program, just make sure you leave no spaces in the file names you pick and do not move them from the safestrap backup folder.

can anybody confirm that this guide works?
and that I'm not missing any steps?

Macdaddydc

Reaction score
hey guys, first of all, thanks for your hard work to get us root. Unfortunately, I have only a Mac and cannot use your method as written here, any suggestions or help on this? My Bionic has the latest ota and was previously rooted but now root is broken and I'm having trouble getting it back, really don't want to factory reset but if that's the only way, then so be it.Any and all help would be appreciated.
Verizon Bionic:
Sys ver 5.9.02 (en.US)
Android ver 2.3.4
Baseband version: cdma_N_04.07.00r
webtop ver: wt_1.3.0-108_dbn-24
kernel ver: 2.6.35.7.g83f1a47
build #:5.5.1_84_-71-dbn

Mac OS X Lion

Thanks in advance

OP
battle

battle

Reaction score
I did all the steps you mentioned, when I restarted the XT875, in the mobile network settings, i only find two options: lte/cdma and cdma only, so i can't set it to GSM only. and i can't get data network back. And i dialed *#*#4636#*#*, change the network to GSM only, and now it pop the information " com.android.phone" stop run" again and again, so what can i do now?

Sorry for the late reply.
If i were you I would reflash -- wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, format system, reflash

DO NOT RESTORE APPS AND DATA USING ANY SORT OF BACKUP APP
This usually causes bugs.

Let me know how it goes

cokey

Reaction score
Followed everything. Just haven't put safe strap on.. long time DROID user first time rooting.. dl'd ti-backup, anttek, superuser.. anytime I open them says im not rooted.. also pandora will only play for about 5-10 min now? Any advice? Prob wont do any roms just yet.. but do want to speed this and get rid of bloat.. thanks for your help..

Brian.Fox

Reaction score
Thanks for this guide! :biggrin: This worked great for me, except for number 4 because the links did not work, but I just used a different rom and got it going :) I have one question though, can I switch between stock rom and the rom I downloaded easily? Or do I have to wipe the data, wipe the cache, format, wipe dalvik cache, and reinstall the rom everytime I want to go back to the one I downloaded? Probably doesn't matter but the rom I downloaded is Eclipse v2.2. Thanks for your help!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
To help avoid confusion and give you guys a heads up, the 2 guides were merged and left in this section.

OP
battle

battle

Reaction score
Thanks for this guide! :biggrin: This worked great for me, except for number 4 because the links did not work, but I just used a different rom and got it going :) I have one question though, can I switch between stock rom and the rom I downloaded easily? Or do I have to wipe the data, wipe the cache, format, wipe dalvik cache, and reinstall the rom everytime I want to go back to the one I downloaded? Probably doesn't matter but the rom I downloaded is Eclipse v2.2. Thanks for your help!

you can switch without wiping anything, just enable to disable safe system, however it takes a few minutes and the phone is doing a lot of writing/rewriting so make sure you're either plugged in or have sufficient battery

Alwysbrke

Reaction score
Unable to download file from http://th3oryrom.us.to/BIONIC/ICS/AXI0M_B_BIONIC_4.0.3_A

Hello Everybody.

This is my first time using this forum.

I have a bionic that I have been trying to find ICS for. All the posts on the internet seem to send you to the above mentioned website however I cannot find the /zip file anywhere.

Could someone please lend me a hand?

With Much Respect,

Anthony