Still on kin3tx 894, want to move to 902 and keep root...help

voodoodaddy

So IDK what the deal is, if its that Im on 894 still or what, but lately Ive had SOOO many problems with my data connectivity dropping out and not coming back. Sometimes I have to reboot twice before my data kicks back in. My son has a stock 902 bionic and no issues.

Im on a Mac, but have VMware with XP installed. Im currently in the process of downloading the 893 files to flash back in rsdlite.

Can someone give me a very easy to understand step by step how to do all this? I am rooted using some method I dont even remember. I have bootstrap installed. Ive read alot about this safestrap but dont know really what it is. And is it possible to still run the kin3tx rom?? I like the rom and dont want to run stock rom. Basically what I want is a rooted 902 with kin3tx if thats even possible.

I know this stuff have probably been answered 1000x but frankly Id like to find the best method and most straight forward way to do this. Thanks.

eye_dea

You have a few options here...
The first question is...did you make a stock backup in bootstrap? If you did, you can just restore that backup and then take the 902 OTA from your phone. Also, I would backup all your apps to be on the safe side.
If not, then we will go with another option.
FYI, when you use RSDlite...your going to loose root.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

I have a backup called "original" that was dated 10/4/2011. Thats probably right around the time I rooted so Im guessing this might be it?

I have backed up everything in Ti. So I can restore the original, take the 902 update, and still be rooted?

eye_dea

Are you forever rooted? Could possibly use OTA rootkeeper from the market too.
If you loose root...its not really a big deal...we have Motofail root method for 902 now. Takes less than 5 minutes and you will be rooted again.

Please remember that your old kin3tx ROM will not work on 902....you will have to upgrade to the newer kin3tx

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Pretty sure I did forever root, but its been so long ago I cant remember. So if I install the original backup I have, updated to 902 and dont have root I can get it back with the motofail method?

what about roms? I like the theory one Im running now.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

So I want to get the steps down before I do this. Ive installed the OTA rootkeeper and run that. If I do a restore with that original backup and get to 893, do I just take the official OTA, get to 902, then use that OTA rootkeeper then? Or do I do something when Im at 893 before I take the OTA?

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Ran the backup and its 886 not 893. Went to the update menu and its saying "check for update not available at this time, try again later." IDK if 886 was an official update or not so IDK if Im on the OTA path yet.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

I must be off path somehow cause its still giving me the same thing. Is there somewhere I can just download the 902 update and manual install?

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Appreciate the help, particularly pointing me to the ota rootkeeper and when to use it. After not being able to get the 902 update and some googling around found a number of people in the same situation. The answer for all of them seemed to be a factory reset. So I did that this morning, it left me at 886 again. But when I checked for updates 893 was available. Updated to that, then ran the ota rootkeeper. Then looked for updates and 902 was there. Updated to that, ran rootkeeper again and its all good.

Now to find a compatible rom. I found a thread here that said a version of kin3tx was but Im not sure. Here is the thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th3ory-rom-bionic/205581-kin3tx-902-a.html

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

I installed the 902 from that link I posted and now under about phone it says Im on 5.8.894. Last 2 people in that thread said even though it says that I would still be on 902. Any insight on this if its true or not? I dont want to go to all the trouble of 902 just to find out its reverted to 894

eye_dea

No, flashing a ROM can not revert you back to a previous upgrade. You are still on 902 and have the 902 radio.
Kin3tx was built on the 894 build and has been patched to allow it to work with 902.
Eclipse v2.2 was built off the 902 build tho.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. For those of us that dont mess with this stuff that often its a little overwhelming when you find 15 different ways to do something and alot of it is putting your trust in someone and hoping you dont run into any issues and brick your phone. So Im very thankful for people like you that are here to help and dont just say "search button"

Installing all my backups from Ti now, hope the update fixes the connectivity issues I was having.