A week with the Bionic - Impartial Review

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I picked mine up off contract so I will be playing with my DB while I wait to see if those rumors pan out. Damn it's expensive to be impatient!

Stingray71

Reaction score
Good review. I went from a Nokia e71 to the bionic, this is a huge upgrade for me. I do have a Xoom though, so know my way around an android OS. Gingerbread actually seems to work better in some regards, specifically, flash support and video playback. Hope ICS brings together the best of both worlds.

Have to say I like the camera more now then when I first bought it, especially its outdoor performance. Indoor performance is still average, what can you expect from a phone camera. Video is first rate outdoors even at 720.

Only concerns, netflix audio clicking issue. Had a hard lock up this morning, first in a week. Audio issue/whine being reported, haven't experienced it yet though. Hoping these are issue that will be fixed with updates.

In short, I really like my Bionic! dancedroid

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I've seen screen shots of peoples screen with pixelation, lines and the battery. I even got out a magnifying glass. I see nothing on mine. Which is very unusual because normally when I walk into a VZW store I think they go in the back and find the phone that was returned with the most problems and just give it to me :p It also can be how the brightness is set, a lot of factors. I'd return mine if some of those issues happened with me, if it looked like I was looking thru a screen door or saw 2 lines across the screen, it would have been returned day 1. Now as for the battery pixelation, I don't think that's the screen, I think that's just how the battery icon was drawn.

Ok then would u be so kind as to post a screen shot since u don't have pixelation issues. Or even give me a link to the screen shots of people having that issue. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok then would u be so kind as to post a screen shot since u don't have pixelation issues. Or even give me a link to the screen shots of people having that issue. Thanks in advance.

This is a screen shot I was sent, someone else also posted this in another thread, but this is an example of what some people are reportedly experiencing:

aefc39aa-17ae-5c96.jpg

I haven't this issue, if you do, I would exchange asap.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
This is a screen shot I was sent, someone else also posted this in another thread, but this is an example of what some people are reportedly experiencing:

aefc39aa-17ae-5c96.jpg

I haven't this issue, if you do, I would exchange asap.

Ok, thanks. I don't have that problem, thank god. If I did my buddy works at VZ so I would have got it swapped out.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
I am with you 100% JaCelica2k. I was impressed overall, but just felt as though I was settling. The screen really did bother me. I tried to talk myself out of it, but I just couldn't shake it. It is however, THE BEST screen I have used in sunlight. Wow!

The speaker next to the camera on mine didn't work. The noise from the earphone jack also annoyed me. It was the sum of all of that, along with the screen that brought me to the decision to send it back.

Maybe I'll regret it, maybe I won't? We'll see, I guess. I do miss the speed now that I'm back on my OG.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok, thanks. I don't have that problem, thank god. If I did my buddy works at VZ so I would have got it swapped out.

This is my actual phone I posted in the official Bionic thread last week, albeit the screen isn't set to black, it might give you an idea of why I say I see none of these issues:

bio.jpg

Of course there is going to be some glare on the screen due to the angle it was shot at...

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
This is my actual phone I posted in the official Bionic thread last week, albeit the screen isn't set to black, it might give you an idea of why I say I see none of these issues:

bio.jpg

Of course there is going to be some glare on the screen due to the angle it was shot at...

Yeah I saw this when u posted it, I was misunderstanding the issue people were having. My screen looks fine, I'm one of the happy owners of the DB. HUGE upgrade from the OG for sure. Just waiting on CM7 to drop and I'll be uber happy. When the bootloader gets unlocked I'll be ecstatic. :)

nalgon

Reaction score
Coming from a Charge u can tell how pixelated the bionic is.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea no one should be unhappy about the screen, meaning, if yours isn't perfectly clear and crisp .. just exchange it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The 3 I've used all have pixelation, I think it's an agreeable fact now that the pentile screen is the reason for the problem. It's just whether you're sensitive enough to see it or deal with an inferior screen for a flagship device.

A phone's screen is the most important thing to me, so I'll wait until a device is released with a screen comparable to the SGSII, however long that may be.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Dont know if I'd call the screen inferior. The daylight viewing and the battery savings are a plus. Who knows, it may be one of the reasons the phone is so smooth as well.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that the daylight viewing is a definite plus, something that will be essential in the future. The battery savings I'm not so sure about, as it seems users are pretty split on how well the Bionic's stock battery is doing overall. That's not to say the screen isn't helping, it just doesn't seem to be helping enough to sacrifice a higher quality viewing experience.

lilhill

Reaction score
All of the docks have a tray which pops out to accommodate a phone in a case...

DROID BIONIC

Retired OG DROID CM7 Supercharged 1GHZ