"Android is upgrading..." on every reboot

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having this issue where I get a pop-up window saying "Android is upgrading..." and "Starting applications..." every time I reboot the phone. It's not the same as when I wipe the dalvik cache where it states "Optimizing applications # through #" for about a minute or two on reboot. What I'm seeing is about 1 to 3 seconds.

I did a complete factory reset, re-flashed the ICS RUU as well as the ROM. It was fine in the beginning and for quite a while after I reinstalled my apps but it eventually came back.

I tried uninstalling apps a few at a time and it didn't change anything until I got down to the last four and then it went away. So, I then tried restoring from nandroid backup and just removing those four apps but it didn't work that time. The issue was unaffected.

I realize that the symptoms point to one or more of my apps but I was wondering if there is some kind of diagnostic logger that I can use to record whats happening during reboot that might offer some hints as to which one(s). One possible indirect culprit might be Superuser. I've had a permanent issue with updating the SU binary. When I do, I lose the ability to add new root apps. I keep root for existing root apps, but SU won't detect any requests from new apps. Therefore, I simply don't update the binary and I have no problems with new apps.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dasanman69

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having this issue where I get a pop-up window saying "Android is upgrading..." and "Starting applications..." every time I reboot the phone. It's not the same as when I wipe the dalvik cache where it states "Optimizing applications # through #" for about a minute or two on reboot. What I'm seeing is about 1 to 3 seconds.

I did a complete factory reset, re-flashed the ICS RUU as well as the ROM. It was fine in the beginning and for quite a while after I reinstalled my apps but it eventually came back.

I tried uninstalling apps a few at a time and it didn't change anything until I got down to the last four and then it went away. So, I then tried restoring from nandroid backup and just removing those four apps but it didn't work that time. The issue was unaffected.

I realize that the symptoms point to one or more of my apps but I was wondering if there is some kind of diagnostic logger that I can use to record whats happening during reboot that might offer some hints as to which one(s). One possible indirect culprit might be Superuser. I've had a permanent issue with updating the SU binary. When I do, I lose the ability to add new root apps. I keep root for existing root apps, but SU won't detect any requests from new apps. Therefore, I simply don't update the binary and I have no problems with new apps.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How are you rebooting? It does indeed sound like your dalvik cache is being wiped every time you reboot.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I normally use QuickBoot but it doesn't seem to matter whether I use that or the power button.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
OK... I just tried Superuser from ClockworkMOD and no change. I've used the SU update fixer to try to solve the issue with Superuser not detecting new requests and its the same result.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Check your SD card, make sure there is no PH98IMG.zip file on it... if there is delete it or remove it, this could be the issue. PH98IMG.zip is an upgrade file that would be checked on every boot, if it is there it would flash it's contents and cause what you are describing, including the Superuser issue.

Also, on the su issue, are you using Koush's Superuser or Chainfire's SuperSU? It sounds like you are using Superuser, you might want to change and try SuperSU, SuperSU is recommended for most Rezound ROMs from ICS and forward.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Check your SD card, make sure there is no PH98IMG.zip file on it... if there is delete it or remove it, this could be the issue. PH98IMG.zip is an upgrade file that would be checked on every boot, if it is there it would flash it's contents and cause what you are describing, including the Superuser issue.

Also, on the su issue, are you using Koush's Superuser or Chainfire's SuperSU? It sounds like you are using Superuser, you might want to change and try SuperSU, SuperSU is recommended for most Rezound ROMs from ICS and forward.

Hi acejavelin,

I am certain that there is no PH98IMG.zip file on the SD card. The ROM installation places one there during that process and I always delete immediately after flashing. I've tried using another SD card that is essentially blank and the "upgrading" messages still occur.

As for the superuser problem, I have always used the one by ChainsDD. It's automatically installed with RezROM. However, I will eventually try the one you are recommending. I did try the one by Koush and I lost root for some of my apps.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
In the process of trying to nail down this problem, I've discovered that it appears to have something to do with the relationship between superuser and RezROM.

Since I first flashed RezROM, I haven't been able to update superuser or the binary in any way. In addition to downloading from the market, I've tried re-installing superuser with Amon Ra, flashing it from the sdcard in recovery and from adb. No matter how I do it, I either lose root or it shuts down superuser's ability to detect requests from new root apps. I tried to find a solution but had no success so I just decided to ignore it as long as it didn't effect functionality. I've had root app issues here and there but always chalked it up to a bug with that particular app and either found a fix or ditched the app altogether.

I've been able to isolate superuser as the cause of the "upgrading" message issue with several full wipes, RezROM and RUU re-flashes. In my last three attempts to narrow it down, I did completely sterile RUU and RezROM flashes and used Root Explorer and Root Checker as test apps. In each attempt, I lost root and the "upgrading" messages returned as soon as I updated superuser or the binary. I tried doing the same with the stock ROM and with one of the BAMF ROMs and these problems don't occur with either of them.

So, with the "Android is upgrading" message popping up repeatedly, having new stability problems with previously dependable apps and increasing system bugs, it's apparent that the consequences of having such a severely outdated superuser has finally caught up with me. It definitely looks like RezROM is the problem and unless there are some options that I might try to fix it myself, it's up to the developer. I've contacted them but I'm not optimistic that they'll be willing to put any time into coming up with a fix since the Rezound is so "dated".

acejavelin

Reaction score
In the process of trying to nail down this problem, I've discovered that it appears to have something to do with the relationship between superuser and RezROM.

Since I first flashed RezROM, I haven't been able to update superuser or the binary in any way. In addition to downloading from the market, I've tried re-installing superuser with Amon Ra, flashing it from the sdcard in recovery and from adb. No matter how I do it, I either lose root or it shuts down superuser's ability to detect requests from new root apps. I tried to find a solution but had no success so I just decided to ignore it as long as it didn't effect functionality. I've had root app issues here and there but always chalked it up to a bug with that particular app and either found a fix or ditched the app altogether.

I've been able to isolate superuser as the cause of the "upgrading" message issue with several full wipes, RezROM and RUU re-flashes. In my last three attempts to narrow it down, I did completely sterile RUU and RezROM flashes and used Root Explorer and Root Checker as test apps. In each attempt, I lost root and the "upgrading" messages returned as soon as I updated superuser or the binary. I tried doing the same with the stock ROM and with one of the BAMF ROMs and these problems don't occur with either of them.

So, with the "Android is upgrading" message popping up repeatedly, having new stability problems with previously dependable apps and increasing system bugs, it's apparent that the consequences of having such a severely outdated superuser has finally caught up with me. It definitely looks like RezROM is the problem and unless there are some options that I might try to fix it myself, it's up to the developer. I've contacted them but I'm not optimistic that they'll be willing to put any time into coming up with a fix since the Rezound is so "dated".

So why not switch ROMs? There some amazing ones for the Rezound, just off the top of my head there is Tachyon, LiquidSmooth, CarbonROM, CyanogenMod (several version), Nils Business Sense, Talon, MIUI, ParanoidAndroid, and the list goes on and on. Right now, Tachyon and LiquidSmooth are my top choices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I will absolutely try them all. I've had a hard time finding a summarized list of Rezound ROMs that's reasonably up-to-date so. I don't have the patience to plod through the development forums so I really appreciate your suggestions.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I will absolutely try them all. I've had a hard time finding a summarized list of Rezound ROMs that's reasonably up-to-date so. I don't have the patience to plod through the development forums so I really appreciate your suggestions.

Tachyon is kind of the defacto "best" ROM for the Rezound right now, if there is such a thing... I would start there and you probably won't need to try anything else.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I'm partial to the black or generally dark themed ROMs. Are there any that you can recommend that are dark themed or have theme mods available for them?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I will definitely try them all. I've had a hard time finding a summery list of Rezound ROMs that's reasonably up-to-date. I don't have the patience to plod through all of the development forums so I really appreciate your suggestions.

I'm partial to the black or generally dark themed ROMs. Are there any that you can reccomend that are dark themed or have theme mods available for them?

Most are CM based so any CyanogenMod theme will work. CarbonROM and LiquidSmooth both have a "dark" mode, not sure on Tachyon... Been awhile since I tried it.

acejavelin

Reaction score
card that is essentially blank and the "upgrading" messages still occur.
3.jpg
Not sure what you are saying here... Are you saying on every boot you are getting "Android is upgrading" message?

Check both your internal and external storage for a PH98IMG.zip file and remove it. If you are still getting this message after verifying that this file not exist on any storage partition, you should do a complete wipe in recovery (all partitions) and sideload your ROM and Gapps again.