Any news on the apparent botched 2.2 OTA update?

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Yes, I know another wifi complaint..
My wifi was horrible when I first got my x, then the last week before 2.2 it worked GREAT! Then after 2.2 it is worse than ever....
I blame 2.2 bc I don't have anyone else to blame. There is an interesting thread on the moto site about it.....but I'm not techy enough to say he's got the culprit or not...
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/248530?pubid=987654#248530

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, I know another wifi complaint..
My wifi was horrible when I first got my x, then the last week before 2.2 it worked GREAT! Then after 2.2 it is worse than ever....
I blame 2.2 bc I don't have anyone else to blame. There is an interesting thread on the moto site about it.....but I'm not techy enough to say he's got the culprit or not...
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/248530?pubid=987654#248530
Wow, that analysis done by the poster on the Moto support forums is pretty thorough. It certainly makes you wonder a few things with his hypothesis on "why/if" that bug was intentional.
I won't speculate, but it is interesting.

Thanks for that link!

ericejs15

Reaction score
I'm stock 2.2 and it runs much better than 2.1. I don't use the music player so I can't speak for that, but I've had no noticeable issues at all with 2.2. It's faster and much smoother overall. I'd say it's far from a botched OTA.

Music player is definately an issue.... It works whenever it wants to, then the next day it will say i have the wrong format. Reboot does fix it but only til the next day usually when it will happen again....so frustrating!

Power

Reaction score
After reading this I tried getting to the stock battery meter and regardless of using ADW, Launcher Pro, or the stock home launcher, when I click the battery to get to the statistics I get a FC each time. I even went so far as to unstinstall both ADW and Launcher with the same results. Reinstalling ADW (I like it best of the 3 options) I was about to post. To be thorough I decided to shut it down and pull the battery. It came back up and works now.

I'm not really sure what this means except perhaps Froyo might be a little less stable and need occasional reboot/battery pull. So try that before you condem any app or the OS.

Reaction score
Guess i'll shot this down before someone else does. I've been running Launcher Pro since 2.2 update and battery manager f/c 99% of the time. It definitely is not related to the launcher.

Shoot it down?

Why would you "shoot down" my experience?

If anything, I posted my experience here to try to help people rule out issues. Installing ADW caused my battery manager to crash. Uninstalling it and replacing it with Launcher Pro (again), stopped that from happening.

Not really much to "shoot down" there. Especially considering I didn't blame ADW for the person's problem, only that it caused mine and removing it fixed that issue for me.

JLB09

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right thread or not but are there some that still have not received the 2.2 update for the Droid X yet? My son (in college) told me today that he has yet to get this. He really is too busy right now to be checking forums and so I came here to ask. I have the original Droid so I am not sure about the X but wondered if anyone knew here about whether everyone already was supposed to have this yet?

thefatmoop

Reaction score
Let me tell you what my understanding is. The problem was in distribution, and the phones getting locked in boot loop. Verizon did recognize this issue and said a fix would be applied. I don't think anymore Droid X's are now experiencing the boot loop upon receipt of the OTA, I could be wrong.

Now for the other "issues." The majority of people did not have problems with the update. It only looks bad because people who do have issues are vocal. Not to many people jump on the internet and say, "Got my update, love it." There are a few but that's very rare. So you see a lot of complaints.

IMHO most of the complaints are quite simple. User error, or not understanding what to do if you do have an issue with an update. For example all these people complaining about their phone running slow, the update was sucking up their battery, a simple factory data reset would clear that up for 90% of the people having issues with it.

My numbers are not scientifically based, they are rounded out to what I believe I see here in this forum. Now I'm not saying everybody fell into the category of "user error/lack of knowledge," some had genuine issues that could not be figured out.

I have said this many times before there are different stages we all go through when an update occurs. 1. Anticpation. 2. Joy of receiving the update followed quickly by 3. Complaints about the update. Every update I've seen come out over the last two years in dealing with smart phones has the same characteristics.

Right now we are all settling into the "acceptance" stage (#4). Complaints are winding down and most people are moving on to other topics in the forum. When Gingerbread hits, we will all go through this again.

If you look at the amount of complaints there were on 2.1 you'd see what I was getting at. You would have thought everybody hated it but that just wasn't so. Same thing when we went for 2.0 to 2.0.1. And they both went through the same cycle. This applies especially to the D1, but the X is coming around.

Normally I would agree with you... however; I'm not a noob or an idiot and to be honest, the OTA is full of bugs. Ive tried every solution to work around the issues I'm having and still haven't solved them. See the list below.

1. Music Player - Its broken. Loses Media, Once you switch orientation a few times, it will completely bug out, freeze the phone, and loop audio. Requires a battery pull.

2. Orientation - I calibrated the compass 3 times and its still fubar'd. I take my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and its upside down. I have to jiggle the phone around to fix it. Its a minor annoyance, but an annoyance non the less.

3. Battery Manager - It works when it wants to, shouldn't have to power cycle my phone every time I want to check power consumption.

4. Performance - Froyo runs exactly the same for me as 2.1 did. I'm deodexed, debloated, themed, etc. all the same stuff I did on 2.1, yet I dont see any of this speed improvement. Actually, if anything, it might be slightly slower.

5. Sound issues - Half the time I get a text, I have no notification sounds. Tried everything to fix it, used default tones, zedge tones, turned vibrate on/off, set notification volume separate, etc.

Those are the major issues I'm having. The only real benefits I got out of Froyo are Flash support, Battery life, and the ability to say I'm on Froyo lol.

Well first off the X has an accelerometer and this is what determines the screen orientaion. The magmetic sensor is for google maps and whatnot. Calibraing your compass will not fix orientation issues lol. to test this hold a magnet up to the phone and see if it changes orientaion without being tilted. (MOD EDIT) just don't move an extremely strong magnet quickly close to the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well first off the X has an accelerometer and this is what determines the screen orientaion. The magmetic sensor is for google maps and whatnot. Calibraing your compass will not fix orientation issues lol. to test this hold a magnet up to the phone and see if it changes orientaion without being tilted. (MOD EDIT) just don't move an extremely strong magnet quickly close to the phone.

First, I guess you've never heard of a Magnetic Induction Accelerometer.

Posts like yours only fail to contribute anything worthwhile to the community and give very little actual help to the people you are responding to.

MOD EDIT: Please report posts that are offensive rather than respond. Thanks :D

scf

Reaction score

I'm trying to see it from your point of view, but (MOD EDIT: Please report posts that are offensive rather than respond. Thanks :D)