Anyone unsatisfied with the D3

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
As I've said on several D3 threads I guess I got lucky with mine. Had mine for a week and only had 2 quirks happen. Had 1 reboot and the statusbar disappeared on me. Other than that zero issues.

Love the screen size, having a stable version of Gingerbread, and of course the keyboard. Missing the camera button a little, but it didn't work all the time anyway with my D1, ..lol

I love my D3. I went into the local VZW store and did a quick comparison with the DX2, Charge, and TBolt and don't regret my decision at all.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

How is the battery life? (sorry I have been having trouble finding reviews for it)

And also if you have used a Tegra 2 phones, how does the D3 processor compare?

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Like others, comes with a lot of junk. However, I rarely kill tasks...and havent noticed this thing slowing down at all. I've used Teamviewer and Nesoid a lot and have had zero issues. Again, I havent noticed any slowdown.

Small gripes

-Talking on speaker. When call is done, the screen is blacked out. Have to hit the top button or a volume button to light screen back up so I can end call. Saves battery I guess this way.

-Phone seems to lock on its own at random times of inactivity. Sometimes it seems like as little as 30secs.

Try turning off "in-pocket detection" in the display settings. That should cure the random locks.

howzball

Reaction score
I find the D3 to be everything I loved about the D1 only faster. I originally wasn't sure about the D3 because of battery life but a few tweaks have really improved that.
If you like physical keyboards then, you just have to love the D3. It's keyboard is about as good as it gets.
I'm sure the blur will drive some folks nuts but, I really don't even pay much attention to it.

The one thing that really burns me is that I set up that ridiculous Verizon Backup Assistant and apparently the only way to get rid of it is a reset of the phone which sucks. Who needs Verizon to backup their contacts when it's all stored in your Google account?
The really suck part is that the Backup Ass. doesn't even work and gives me an error every morning because it say the Network is unavailable and you can't tell the thing to stop syncing.
Guess that's not really the phones problem.

tonydelite

Reaction score
I find the D3 to be everything I loved about the D1 only faster. I originally wasn't sure about the D3 because of battery life but a few tweaks have really improved that.
If you like physical keyboards then, you just have to love the D3. It's keyboard is about as good as it gets.
I'm sure the blur will drive some folks nuts but, I really don't even pay much attention to it.

The one thing that really burns me is that I set up that ridiculous Verizon Backup Assistant and apparently the only way to get rid of it is a reset of the phone which sucks. Who needs Verizon to backup their contacts when it's all stored in your Google account?
The really suck part is that the Backup Ass. doesn't even work and gives me an error every morning because it say the Network is unavailable and you can't tell the thing to stop syncing.
Guess that's not really the phones problem.

Yeah, when I first set up the phone, I made sure I didn't enable backup assistant.

I did notice that by default new contacts will not be saved to your google account, even if you don't set up backup assistant! So check your contacts settings and make sure you set it up to save to your google contacts!

I think i'm going to make a new thread about that.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
As I've said on several D3 threads I guess I got lucky with mine. Had mine for a week and only had 2 quirks happen. Had 1 reboot and the statusbar disappeared on me. Other than that zero issues.

Love the screen size, having a stable version of Gingerbread, and of course the keyboard. Missing the camera button a little, but it didn't work all the time anyway with my D1, ..lol

I love my D3. I went into the local VZW store and did a quick comparison with the DX2, Charge, and TBolt and don't regret my decision at all.

How is the battery life? (sorry I have been having trouble finding reviews for it)

And also if you have used a Tegra 2 phones, how does the D3 processor compare?

At first battery life was suspect. After changing from Global to CDMA much better. I also set display to about 60%
Getting about 10-12hrs unless im playing Drag Racing..lol then it drops to 3..lol

rushmore

Reaction score
I have installed about 200 apps so far on the D3 and none of the reboots, accumulated lag, excessive heat, or audio pops the DX2 had.

Where out of box, the DX2 normally hovered around 50mb free average, the D3 hovers around 150mb. It seems like from a firmware side the DX2 and D3 were made by two different companies.

Another bonus is performance. Flash sites are smoother and N64 & PSX games play faster than the gTablet, A500, DX2 and Thrive. All use Tegra 2, which I thought performed great already (for a passively cooled device).

Still, the DX2 is rooted, so easy wifi tether for tablets. DX2 should get better with custom roms or a Gingerbread update.http://www.anandtech.com/show/4504/this-just-in-motorola-droid-3-for-verizon

Last edited:

rushmore

Reaction score
This is my third Android device. I'm not giving up too quickly. Similar bugs have plagued previous devices, and I've had both the previous phones rooted as well. I'm looking for something more reliable, and that's what I'm going for. I use my phone for business a lot, and I can't have it keep freezing on me and giving me BS. After Ice Cream Sandwich is out, you bet your ass I'll take another look into Android, but right now, it's not cut out for me when there's a more stable and reliable alternative out there. I'm an equal opportunist, and I've given Android enough attention for now.

Nice that some people can understand, but to the others, get off your high horse and fock yourselves. Have fun being the loser that everyone in your circle of friends hates talking to because you're too obsessed over your phone :)

Seems you are on the high horse and then accusing others of such. Can understand the reliability need, but so far even after loading 150 apps, the D3 is very stable. Now, if you were referring to the DX2, I would agree.

I have an iPod4 64gb, but see iPhone as too constraining.

Hey now, no x2 bashing! I love my phone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Sorry. My results with the DX2 were rough, but did not mean to slight other folks.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
Ok. So here is my dilema. My wife is using a 3 year old BB 8330. She doesn't seem to mind it's complete lack of functionality. She has never had a real smart phone and the BB WORKS with VERY few glitches. The biggest problem she has is the crappy trackball that I have to remove and clean every couple of months. She does think it is a little neat all of the stuff that I can do with my D1 (rooted) and I can see her taking advantage of some of those features if she had them available.
Her BB is rock solid- Half Dome- stable. She does not tolerate even the slightest glitch. I always get a phone call if there is a problem with the phone. "What do I do? :mad:This is BS!@#^%" I would hear from her. Fortunately this rarely happens with the BB. What really drives ME crazy is that I pay the same data access for her phone as mine and she can't do even a fraction of what I can with my phone. Her GPS doesn't even work unless I pay for VZ Navigator!
Personally, I am able to deal with bugs. Seriously, I'm still using my D1, playing with different ROMs all the time. My wife won't deal with bugs. End of story. I am going to have to convince her that charging her phone every night is not a big deal. That will be some work. Definitely a spare battery will be needed. All that aside, she needs the email ability, she is selling crap on Ebay now (the BB app for that sucks), loves Angry Birds, and will probably even want to tether occasionally.... She needs a better phone.

Is the D3 going to work for HER? I really think she needs the slide-out keyboard because she is so used to the BB. I would just get her a D-Pro but she doesn't seem interested in it for some reason!?:blink:, but she does seem to like the DX, D2 and DINC. I am not sure if she will deal with the learning curve on a soft keyboard though.
Myself... I'm waiting on the Bionic to see what it is all about. The D1 is just too slow for me anymore, but still a great phone. If the D3 was 4g I would get it yesterday because of the slide-out keyboard, but that is not a deal breaker. I really got used to using the soft keyboard on the D1 with "Swiftkey":heart: because the slide-out sucks so bad on the D1.

Just looking for some words of wisdom...

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Ok. So here is my dilema. My wife is using a 3 year old BB 8330. She doesn't seem to mind it's complete lack of functionality. She has never had a real smart phone and the BB WORKS with VERY few glitches. The biggest problem she has is the crappy trackball that I have to remove and clean every couple of months. She does think it is a little neat all of the stuff that I can do with my D1 (rooted) and I can see her taking advantage of some of those features if she had them available.
Her BB is rock solid- Half Dome- stable. She does not tolerate even the slightest glitch. I always get a phone call if there is a problem with the phone. "What do I do? :mad:This is BS!@#^%" I would hear from her. Fortunately this rarely happens with the BB. What really drives ME crazy is that I pay the same data access for her phone as mine and she can't do even a fraction of what I can with my phone. Her GPS doesn't even work unless I pay for VZ Navigator!
Personally, I am able to deal with bugs. Seriously, I'm still using my D1, playing with different ROMs all the time. My wife won't deal with bugs. End of story. I am going to have to convince her that charging her phone every night is not a big deal. That will be some work. Definitely a spare battery will be needed. All that aside, she needs the email ability, she is selling crap on Ebay now (the BB app for that sucks), loves Angry Birds, and will probably even want to tether occasionally.... She needs a better phone.

Is the D3 going to work for HER? I really think she needs the slide-out keyboard because she is so used to the BB. I would just get her a D-Pro but she doesn't seem interested in it for some reason!?:blink:, but she does seem to like the DX, D2 and DINC. I am not sure if she will deal with the learning curve on a soft keyboard though.
Myself... I'm waiting on the Bionic to see what it is all about. The D1 is just too slow for me anymore, but still a great phone. If the D3 was 4g I would get it yesterday because of the slide-out keyboard, but that is not a deal breaker. I really got used to using the soft keyboard on the D1 with "Swiftkey":heart: because the slide-out sucks so bad on the D1.

Just looking for some words of wisdom...

I think she would like the D3. I like it much better then my DX and my Thunderbolt. It feels good in the hand and the keyboard is awesome!

I swore after getting the dx and tb on release day that I would never do that again because of the problems straight out of the box but I couldnt resist the urge to get this one. LOL.... so far, the D3 has blown the other two out of the water and actually works!

If she likes to take lots of pics, the D3 is perfect! The camera is amazing. Ive never used a bb so I cant compare them, but its far better then the DX.

Tethering is a breeze. I use pdanet once in a bluemoon.

I really can not picture anyone truely not liking this phone. Even my husband (a proud enV touch user...lol) has picked it up and played around with it.:)

Stik

Reaction score
My only complaint is that sometimes when I unplug, the battery still shows its charging. When I shutdown, the phone restarts because it thinks the charger is still plugged in. Also, on occasion, 3G wont kick in after coming out of night saver mode and my battery will drain quickly. I dont know if these are hardware or software issues though. The keyboard on this device is amazing...

ddoback

Reaction score
The keyboard is awesome... the docking station sucks.. feels cheap and doesn't have all the bells and wistles the atrix has.

Markster1

Reaction score
I bought it on the 14th and returned it the next day. I got it for the keyboard but the phone is slow to do functions and the screen is horrible. Everything is grainy due to the pentile screen. Another thing I hated was the camera, you take a picture and the still you see is not the picture it takes, what? My wifi radio also was not working right. It would take forever to do anything thru it if it connected at all.
I got the incredible 2 now. I was upgrading from an original incredible. I'm happy now.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought it on the 14th and returned it the next day. I got it for the keyboard but the phone is slow to do functions and the screen is horrible. Everything is grainy due to the pentile screen. Another thing I hated was the camera, you take a picture and the still you see is not the picture it takes, what? I got the incredible 2 now. I was upgrading from an original incredible. I'm happy now.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
Really? Wow.. must have been your phone? Because I haven't seen a complaint like that before yet. Especially about the speed, the speed on mine is GREAT! I mean, it's pretty damn fast. Definitely not like my rooted OG Droid was beginning to get. Now that was slow and laggy.

And the screen, well, for the DROID 3 and it being pentile, no one seems to be complaining about it much. And I'm with em, it looks great. Definitely nothing like the DX2 screen.. bleh. And I'm a very picky guy with pixels and stuff. In my room before I got HD and Blu-Ray, I hated watching standard def shows knowing I can have much better resolution. HDTV's make SD look even worse so people go out and buy HD. But I digress.

Anyways, pentile looks good to me. Only place I notice it is the notification bar with the battery icon, really. To me, the colors look a lot more realistic then colors popping out at you all the time. When I go outside on a bright sunny day, colors don't even look quite like that(super amoled screens). The qHD is great. So is the 1080p for videos. As for pictures.. not having the same problem.

But to each their own.. everyone has their own opinions. It's good you found a phone that suits your needs. I just hope you didn't make the account just to trash the Droid 3, since it's your first post and all(not assuming, just saying that'd be dumb. Some people do that).

Markster1

Reaction score
No, on my incredible, actions are instant, the droid was slow to action. Now I know the processor is faster it just didn't respond to my commands instantly. I didn't like the color display, its not true to life. Just my 2 cents. I really wish it had worked out, I wanted a keyboard.

I've had problems with my first incredible, 2 blown speakers and 1 one on my wifes as well. She now has an iphone.

This was not to bash just to note my experiences.

Sent from my Incredible 2

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, on my incredible, actions are instant, the droid was slow to action. Now I know the processor is faster it just didn't respond to my commands instantly. I didn't like the color display, its not true to life. Just my 2 cents. I really wish it had worked out, I wanted a keyboard.

I've had problems with my first incredible, 2 blown speakers and 1 one on my wifes as well. She now has an iphone.

This was not to bash just to note my experiences.

Sent from my Incredible 2
I'd like to say my D3 actions are instant. I see no pause between doing things like I did with my old phone. Other people seem to be saying that too, so I don't believe it's just me. And for the colors, I disagree again. To me they're real, not "over-colored" almost like some phone where it's all nice and shiny looking. As I said, maybe this is just me.. but I have 20/20 vision, and real life not everything pops like that. A lot of things that are so bright on some phones, more more matte even on the brightest of days.

So I'd say that's personal preference/your phone experience different to maybe a not so good phone(did you buy in store, cause I'd assume if so you could have checked those things out with the display phone) which is completely fine, lol. It's your phone of course, better get it the way you like it. Just saying my personal experience as well just in case someones views and/or experiences are the same to not mislead people, just in case.

Last edited: