Archos 101, Samsung Tab and Other Tablets

k1ng617

Reaction score
Thanks to an encounter with my sister's iPad, while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner, I now have a void between my desktop PC and my oversized Droid X smartphone that needs filling. I was always under the impression that I needed a small laptop 12-13in, but found that the iPad could be a great alternative. However, I am not fond of the pricing and that I would then have 3 OS's running in my house Android, Windows and IOS.

So I turned my attention to Android tablets.

I wanted to get your impressions on the Archos 101 that is priced at what seems to be very reasonably at 299 (8GB) and 349 (16GB)

I saw the Samsung Tab at Best Buy yesterday and the difference in LCD size compared to my DX is not enough to warrant a purchase.

Anyone think the Archos is a good buy or should I hold out for something in the pipeline? I have concerns about not having access to the Android market and how the apps will scale to the larger screen and increase in resolution.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my galaxy tablet. I also have a droid x and I find myself only using it for phone calls now. For me the screen is perfect on the galaxy tablet but I was unsure at first if it would be until I spent some time with it at the Verizon store. It seems to run a lot smoother than my droid x and the battery life is crazy compared to it running the same tasks. Plus I don't have to worry about having to buy from two different app stores.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
Yea I bet the Samsung has everything integrated properly i.e. market, email clients, maps etc and is just plain built better than the Archos. But I don't think I can get by with the 7in screen. However, I did only play Angry birds -the ultimate test of anything android- for 2 minutes until little kids starting hovering wanting to play too. So maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

P.S. I heard it was very simple to sideload the market onto the archos, but I question it's build quality now from reviews.

Reaction score
I think 7inches is perfect (twss). I can easily hold in one hand, and its the perfect size for two thumb typing in portrait mode.

I helped a guy activate his mifi to use with his ipad and the pad just feels too massive for my taste.

Also, my tablet led to a serious downsizing on my X, I've moved most of my social networking, email and gaming to my tablet. I use my X for texting, calling and the occasional email.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
Yea I can see what your saying. I really think the matter of portability is most important when choosing a screen size. I actually don't plan to leave my house with the tablet, unless I were to bring it on a plane or extended car ride and even then I might just let my X take care of that.

Or I might wait for one of the supposed dual-core tablets that will inevitably be outted next year.

Youminker

Reaction score
Personally, I do think 7" is the perfect size of tablet. Well, someone would say Jobs said the best size is 10" just as his iPad. Anyway, I do love 7" no matter what.

Reaction score
Although I have not used the Archos 101, I can speak on the behalf of the Archos 70.

Immediately, I was very impressed with the build quality, size and shape of the device. Extremely light, thin and easy to hold. In addition to the A70 I also have a Pandigital Novel (Hacked Vanilla Android) and a Droid1. So I have a good amount of experience with Android.

So far the A70 has not let me done. Getting Market onto it along with Gmail was as easy as putting an .apk onto the A70, running it and rebooting. I love having all of the apps I bought on my Droid available on this device as well.

Just a brief list of the testing I've done. All of these ran flawlessly:
1. SNESoid (with Wii classic controller)
2. PSXdroid (with Wii classic controller)
3. YouTube App Videos
4. Video Playback - Three different size/types of movie files.
5. HDMI out - Video playback, SNESoid playback
6. Web Browsing through WiFi
7. Bluetooth Tethering to Droid (Amazing)
8. nook - Sync'ed to my nook library
9. DungeonHunterHD - Gameloft game
10. Angry Birds (Of course!)

Awaiting a USB/Micro adapter that will allow me to hook up mice/keyboards/flash drives to the device as well. FroYo was just released today, still some kinks that need to be worked out but the community is committed.

Overall, it's freaking amazing!

Last edited:
OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
Although I have not used the Archos 101, I can speak on the behalf of the Archos 70.

Immediately, I was very impressed with the build quality, size and shape of the device. Extremely light, thin and easy to hold. In addition to the A70 I also have a Pandigital Novel (Hacked Vanilla Android) and a Droid1. So I have a good amount of experience with Android.

So far the A70 has not let me done. Getting Market onto it along with Gmail was as easy as putting an .apk onto the A70, running it and rebooting. I love having all of the apps I bought on my Droid available on this device as well.

Just a brief list of the testing I've done. All of these ran flawlessly:
1. SNESoid (with Wii classic controller)
2. PSXdroid (with Wii classic controller)
3. YouTube App Videos
4. Video Playback - Three different size/types of movie files.
5. HDMI out - Video playback, SNESoid playback
6. Web Browsing through WiFi
7. Bluetooth Tethering to Droid (Amazing)
8. nook - Sync'ed to my nook library
9. DungeonHunterHD - Gameloft game
10. Angry Birds (Of course!)

Overall, it's freaking amazing!

Sounds great thanks for the insight, because I have never tried an Archos anything so I was a bit hesitant. Where do you get your Archos hacking info, from here or somewhere else?

Thanks

Reaction score
Sounds great thanks for the insight, because I have never tried an Archos anything so I was a bit hesitant. Where do you get your Archos hacking info, from here or somewhere else?

Thanks

This is actually my first Archos product. I remember one of my friends buying one of the first Archos mp3 player/hard drive over 8 years ago. But until now I haven't used them at all.

ArchosFans.com has a lot of great resources for past and present devices. XDA-developers also has a lot of resources as well.

hbsdaddy

Reaction score
hey man can you get all the droid apps on your pandigital like games and such

Reaction score
hey man can you get all the droid apps on your pandigital like games and such

There's a decent amount of apps that won't shop up since it's technically 2.0 with faked 2.1 I believe. You can always sideload apps through the USB connection.

I do have to warn you that the processor isn't exactly the speediest, so as far as 3D games I can't really say for sure how they would function.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Have you found the schematic for the archos processors? I was trying to see what it was packing. I am still on the fence as I want them to add a real video editor to android's arsenal, but in february I might go eeepc or archos for portability.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hbsdaddy

Reaction score
hey minion after you put the android on your pandigital were you able to get all the snes and other game apps on your pandigital novel

Reaction score
Have you found the schematic for the archos processors? I was trying to see what it was packing. I am still on the fence as I want them to add a real video editor to android's arsenal, but in february I might go eeepc or archos for portability.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

On Archos' website there are the specifications for the tablets. I can tell you that FF7 works great. Loaded up a 720p movie which was a direct rip from DVD and that is playing beautifully. Played a little bit of DungeonHunterHD and Pocket Legends, both work great.