AT&T Rollover Plan

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Isn't the rolled over data throttled?
Does it really matter? Rollover data, conceptually similar to rollover texts, the people who don't use all of their data are going to be the ones who accumulate the most rollover data. People who use all or most of their data aren't going to benefit as there is no data to rollover.

The idea being is that people get bigger plans to stockpile data they won't likely use. More money is made off of people buying a service they don't need.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Does it really matter? Rollover data, conceptually similar to rollover texts, the people who don't use all of their data are going to be the ones who accumulate the most rollover data. People who use all or most of their data aren't going to benefit as there is no data to rollover.

The idea being is that people get bigger plans to stockpile data they won't likely use. More money is made off of people buying a service they don't need.

I think it would matter if you are on a shared plan and had to dip into that rollover data.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't disagree, but I sure hope you're wrong. If there were any want they could convince me to give up my unlimited data plan, that would be it. I could buy a middle tiered data plan for less than I'm paying now for unlimited and bank the extra data for the future when the greater need would be there.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No idea. That would suck, but better than paying for overages one month after leaving a gig in the wind the month before...

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
Exactly! There is no better argument for roll over data just like there was no better argument but that for roll over minutes. You paid for it but didn't use it. If it was available for the price you paid, you should be allowed the full access to the allotment and to keep it to do with as you choose at a later date. Only restriction to that IMHO would be that your unused data (or minutes), could never be redeemed for a refund should you end your plan or service.

A possible analogy of this is buying home heating oil on contract. If you commit to a certain quantity in a season you get it at a reduced price per gallon, but if you don't use it all, at the end of the season you can either get it delivered and stockpile it for next year, or you're repriced for what you did get and prorated accordingly at a higher price per gallon. This forces you to be conservative in your estimates of fuel consumption to prevent being repriced retroactively.

So to clean up the analogy, you buy the tiered plan that is most closely aligned with your usage patterns but with a cushion for a heavy month. Then what excess you don't use is there for you on the unexpected heavy months. If it gets to the point where you're amassing a large reserve you could back down to a lower pricing plan going forward and slowly use up the roll over data till it's nearly gone. Then if need be, you go back to a higher plan.

I'm a firm believer of getting what you pay for.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I at that if someone is foolish enough to overpay just to stockpile excess data, minutes or texts that becomes their problem. Not everyone however, uses relatively the same amount of a particular service every month so roll over is a great and fair option for them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I at that if someone is foolish enough to overpay just to stockpile excess data, minutes or texts that becomes their problem. Not everyone however, uses relatively the same amount of a particular service every month so roll over is a great and fair option for them.

I agree. I'd stick with the 3 I have now unless we get on the family plan with 10 shared for 2 limes around the same price I'm paying now, which we'll be looking into shortly.

Even if I stick with 3 though, I don't quite hit 2GB on average, so to have a gig set aside a month would allow me to be more frivolous with my usage when needed or just because I can.

I burned 5GB during my last month of unlimited, but I had to try to do even that. My average over 6 months or whatever I was able to see on vzw's site was just under 2, so I took that plan & got a free promotional GB a month for 2 years.

I'm OK where I sit, but would be in a perfect position with rollover.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I could buy a middle tiered data plan for less than I'm paying now for unlimite.

FoxKat, the problem is that you can't get a tier data plan cheaper then unlimited, for me my unlimited data is 29.99 / month and i get 8% off that rate because of my employer, if i would drop to the cheapest tier data plan it's $30 / month and I loose the 8% off my data.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
TMO claims they will not throttle .. Not sure what ATT is doing. ATT will only let you roll over unused data for 30 days

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
FoxKat, the problem is that you can't get a tier data plan cheaper then unlimited, for me my unlimited data is 29.99 / month and i get 8% off that rate because of my employer, if i would drop to the cheapest tier data plan it's $30 / month and I loose the 8% off my data.
Yeah, it really depends on your usage.

For me, as I said before, knowing I rarely, if ever went over 2GB without worrying about it at all (I always updated apps over mobile on unlimited for example), I realized I could pay the same each month and still have enough data (Unlimited was 29.99 and the 2GB plan was as well when I made the switch), but not have to pay full retail for my devices anymore and/or get on the Edge payment plan.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What I'm wondering about is expiration. Has anybody on T-mo or AT&T gotten any literature on their rollover plan?

I seem to remember a friend of mine on Cingular and I thought those minutes carried over from the previous month, but dropped off after the current month, or at least after something like 3 months. Anybody remember that, or am I losing it?

If they're going to expire it'd be nice to at least be able to bank them for a few months.

Also, T-mo's commercial said they're starting everyone off with 10GB in the bank. Is AT&T doing anything similar? Not that it really matters in the long run to me, because T-mo doesn't exist here and AT&T's coverage leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm curious how each company's new deals differ.

EDIT: I reread the OP and saw that you only carry over data within your monthly limit, so you can't bank them for months and months.

That should also keep people from foolishly upgrading their plan to bank extra GB, because you're not going to have a TB after so many months of under-using.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What I'm wondering about is expiration. Has anybody on T-mo or AT&T gotten any literature on their rollover plan?

I seem to remember a friend of mine on Cingular and I thought those minutes carried over from the previous month, but dropped off after the current month, or at least after something like 3 months. Anybody remember that, or am I losing it?

If they're going to expire it'd be nice to at least be able to bank them for a few months.

Also, T-mo's commercial said they're starting everyone off with 10GB in the bank. Is AT&T doing anything similar? Not that it really matters in the long run to me, because T-mo doesn't exist here and AT&T's coverage leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm curious how each company's new deals differ.

EDIT: I reread the OP and saw that you only carry over data within your monthly limit, so you can't bank them for months and months.

That should also keep people from foolishly upgrading their plan to bank extra GB, because you're not going to have a TB after so many months of under-using.
When I get a chance I'll check with my corporate store. But knowing att they are just trying to respond to what t Mobile is doing while still making a profit. So I doubt we will get any free data to start. And from what I read any unused data rolls over for a month and after that it is use it or lose it. All the other details I'm sure will get brought forward soon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's a reasonable policy to me. I'm holding onto hope the vzw does a little something, even if it's a percentage of unused data that they rollover. I'm pretty sure they won't, but until they come out and say it, I'll keep that little flame alive.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have Verizon's Roll Over plan now. When I use my unlimited data, and don't use enough, it gets rolled over to the next month for me to use.

*snickers* :p

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Per my AT&T rep, existing customers on the original mobile share plan, business talk, nation, unlimited, or other consumer or business plans must move to a new Mobile Share Value Plan in order to receive rollover data. Any unused rollover data expires after one bill cycle, when customers make any changes to their plan or MSV group including changing data amounts, when the account or MSV group is terminated

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk