Bad WiFi Network detection how does it work

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Their is an option to detect WiFi that cant reach the internet but it wars you that it will use mobile data if it cant find another good WiFi with a pop up each time my question is if the WiFi network gets its internet connection back will it switch back to stays connects to the bad WiFi presumably to keep polling for the internet and let you connect to local intranet devices. Can anyone confirm that it will switch back off mobile data when the WiFi internet connection is back as i cant find a way to tell.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not really sure if it keeps trying or not. If it does, I would assume it does the same thing as my phone does when I disconnect my watch on the watch side. It waits exponentially longer to poll for the watch each time to help conserve battery.

The easiest way to tell if it's connected back to wifi and dropped mobile data is to keep an eye on your icons at the top, by the clock. If you're connected to wifi, you'll see the wifi signal. If you're actively sending/receiving data over wifi, you'll see the little arrows "light up". If you're connected to mobile data, you'll see 3G or 4G (or whatever signal you're getting) and the bars. If you're actively sending/receiving data over mobile, those arrows will "light up" as well.

As android tries to be smart about helping you out and conserving battery, I'd be surprised if it just constantly polled to see if the wifi network had internet all of a sudden, but it's definitely possible.

It's hard to test such a thing though, without access to a "bad" network. When you have wifi turned on, but not connected, it polls periodically to see if networks are available, but I can't verify whether your device might label that network as a "bad" network and just try to avoid it. That's a newer feature of these devices and may or may not be the case in your situation.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I noticed it says bad internet connection on the offending wifi in the wifi list and it disconnects even though the pop up says its not gonna also the pop up prompts to use mobile data which i am ok with as long as it means it will switch back when it has a good connection. I am watching the 4g bars which seem to not be flashing now that it redected the internet on wifi so i hope it is working correctly and not using mobile data when it shouldnt