Battery Life and Heat

droidy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've had the Droid for 4 days now and I'm loving it. I had questions about the battery, because there seems to be a lot of variation between what everyone says.

First of all, with the brightness turned all the way down and only sync running, the battery drains at about 10% an hour with very light usage such as texting, and about twice as fast when I browse the web. The second issue is that after a few minutes of web browsing, my phone will get slightly warm- about 99-100 degrees F according to the battery temperature meter. The one time I turned on GPS and activated Google Maps, the battery got REALLY hot- 107 degrees after 5 minutes of use! Is this normal for everyone out there? I'm afraid that with that amount of heat being generated, the phone is going to be damaged if I use Maps too much.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Southern_Belle

Reaction score
I have also noticed if I am browsing the web for some time that my Droid gets uncomfortably hot. I wonder if Motorola will have a fix for this.

OP
D

droidy

Reaction score
Does anyone else have similar problems with heat? I'm using my Droid to type this right now and the battery meter is reading 110 degrees and the back is very hot. I don't know if it is supposed to get THIS hot or if my droid might be defective...

biteme

Reaction score
Mine does get warm when I'm downloading music and heavy browsing. Where are you getting the temp info at in the phone?

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Doubt you'll see a fix for something like that. It's just the nature of the beast. If you're working her hard she's gonna heat up.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Its a computer with no active cooling. Add in that your hands are constantly insulating it, and adding there own heat to it, thats not that hot at all. Come on people, do you really have to nitpick every little thing about these phones?

rothenbj

Reaction score
Its a computer with no active cooling. Add in that your hands are constantly insulating it, and adding there own heat to it, thats not that hot at all. Come on people, do you really have to nitpick every little thing about these phones?

Amen

Look, go over to the iPhone board and check out the various problems. Many are the same issues you're seeing here. Well that is except the one I haven't noticed here- dropped calls and weak signals. Made me laugh, they don't get that the have a weak network.

OP
D

droidy

Reaction score

Hey, I'm not trying to nitpick... when I was using google maps, I put the phone down on the passenger seat for a couple minutes. When I picked it back up and the back of the phone hit my hand, I was so shocked that I almost flung the phone across my car. I've never had a phone feel like it could burn me before, so I wasn't nitpicking, I was trying to see if this is normal!

(And I also went back to the Verizon store and made sure to add insurance for my phone.. I can't imagine that the phone will last me a whole two years when it is putting out this kind of heat)