Beginner ROm developer starting advice

Weapondrift

Reaction score
Goodmorning all, :)

im really interested in creating roms for the android incredible however im not really sure where to begin, I have been reading the developer.android.com pages so I have a general idea of how things work however I dont really have a knowledge of where to even begin....Do I just start throwing programs on my computer or do I need to Compile anything first what?

While I know that currently there is no "kitchen" for compiling and dumping the roms for the android devices is there any other method?

RoLa

Reaction score
How to Teach Yourself Programming

ars_longa_vita_brevis.PNG

RoLa

Reaction score
Hit up adrynalyne bro ....He and bgill are the smartest ones I know here. Thought you might like the comic...anyone who is trying to learn should read this...lol

OP
Weapondrift

Weapondrift

Reaction score
Hit up adrynalyne bro ....He and bgill are the smartest ones I know here. Thought you might like the comic...anyone who is trying to learn should read this...lol
will do! :) yeah im pretty easy going when it comes to forums...I blame it on the fact ive spent most of my time in the OT section haha

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Moved to Incredible area...good luck weapon and welcome to the forums

UnkleDuke

Reaction score
Since the Incredible is an HTC device, I think the Android kitchen on XDA will work.

I plan on upgrading to the Incredible myself, so I started looking into rom building for Android (I currently cook for WinMo Omnia under the name Waremike32). I've already unpacked the stock rom, made small edits, and rebuilt it using the XDA kitchen and it worked fine without errors. I don't know if the automated mods currently in the kitchen will need to be updated to work for the Incredible, but my guess is it will be supported eventually regardless.

Here's a link to the kitchen
[KITCHEN][APRIL 23 '10] HTC Android Basic Kitchen, v0.49 [Linux / Mac / Cygwin] - xda-developers

See you guys real soon
(Shout out to Bgill55, my WinMo mentor!)

P.S. - I used the VirtualBox/Ubuntu method

Last edited:

RoLa

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum UnkleDuke! A friend of bgill55 is a friend of mine!!..

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm, Incredible has already been rooted?

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Since the Incredible is an HTC device, I think the Android kitchen on XDA will work.

I plan on upgrading to the Incredible myself, so I started looking into rom building for Android (I currently cook for WinMo Omnia under the name Waremike32). I've already unpacked the stock rom, made small edits, and rebuilt it using the XDA kitchen and it worked fine without errors. I don't know if the automated mods currently in the kitchen will need to be updated to work for the Incredible, but my guess is it will be supported eventually regardless.

Here's a link to the kitchen
[KITCHEN][APRIL 23 '10] HTC Android Basic Kitchen, v0.49 [Linux / Mac / Cygwin] - xda-developers

See you guys real soon
(Shout out to Bgill55, my WinMo mentor!)

P.S. - I used the VirtualBox/Ubuntu method
So here you guys go again huh? Nice to see you here waremike... err unkleduke

UnkleDuke

Reaction score
Hmmm, Incredible has already been rooted?

I don't think so, but I was just testing the kitchen's compatibility with the stock rom. I have no idea if the rom it built will even boot, but the kitchen seems to handle everything fine. There is a script to add root to the rom, but I'm sure it will need to be updated to support the Incredible.

So here you guys go again huh? Nice to see you here waremike... err unkleduke

Yo Dan, good to see you again. Yup! Always tweaking, it's a way of life now :icon_ banana:

bgill55

Silver Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ware mike is that you???? Holy crap!!! made the switch huh!!! good to have you here bud!!!!