Best Rom for the Eris

fingaz

Reaction score
so...... I upgraded to 2.1 and I have had a few problems with it. (specifically, google maps directions, camera force closing, other programs randomly force closing). So I want to upgrade to a cooked rom.

It seems that Ultimate Droid was voted very highly. Has anyone used this on their eris?!?!?

pros.. cons.. bugs.. comments..? What do you think is the best rom for the eris?

edit: it seems that everyone is just talking about the droid.. not the droid eris... when talking about roms. I really just want to see if everything is OK on the eris before I go ahead and install this stuff.

Mattb

Reaction score
Did you upgrade to one of the leaks, or did you root your phone? If you used a leak you can't load any new roms. Also, if you installed a leak there is no way to go back to 1.5 and root it now.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
These ROMS (such as Ultimate Droid) are for the Droid. The Eris is a completely different phone and at this point there are a couple versions of the 2.1 leak but I don't think there are any actual links. Also, once you apply the 2.1 leak, you won't be able to go back...

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
I have 2.1 root (build number ends with "test-keys)

so..... I should be able to install a rom.................. right?

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
These ROMS (such as Ultimate Droid) are for the Droid. The Eris is a completely different phone and at this point there are a couple versions of the 2.1 leak but I don't think there are any actual links. Also, once you apply the 2.1 leak, you won't be able to go back...

yeah.. I thought it was just for the droid and not the eris.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are no Eris ROMS right now. Until it is fully rooted and recovered, your stuck with what you got I think. :(

ytwokc5

Reaction score
so...... I upgraded to 2.1 and I have had a few problems with it. (specifically, google maps directions, camera force closing, other programs randomly force closing). So I want to upgrade to a cooked rom.

It seems that Ultimate Droid was voted very highly. Has anyone used this on their eris?!?!?

pros.. cons.. bugs.. comments..? What do you think is the best rom for the eris?

edit: it seems that everyone is just talking about the droid.. not the droid eris... when talking about roms. I really just want to see if everything is OK on the eris before I go ahead and install this stuff.

You are not stuck. You do not have to root. You just have to install the right 2.1 leak on your Eris. There were two, sounds like you have the older leak. You can install the newer "ota" leak over the one you already installed.

The leak you want is here:
Download all Eris ROM's/extras here -- ROM makers can host your roms here too - xda-developers
You want to read the first post which will direct you to
HTC Droid Eris ROM Site
Click on "PB00IMG ROMS"

You want the one called:
"PB00IMG-21-official.zip"
Click on the green down arrow on the right of the screen to download the zip file.

Instructions for installing the ROM can be found here
http://thekrtek.net/2010/03/03/eris-...updated-31010/

Good luck.. my wife's Eris has been issue free since I installed 2.1 on it.

Jolest

Reaction score
You can install the newer "ota" leak over the one you already installed.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but please be more careful in what you tell people. There has NOT BEEN a real Android 2.1 "OTA" ROM for the Eris that's available to the public ("leaked" or otherwise). There will not be an OTA version until it's sent OTA (over the air). Until then, these are leaked Eris version 2.1 ROMs.

The first leaked ROM was rumored to be "the OTA" version... Then there was another leak and that one was rumored to be the one-true-OTA. Neither is an OTA ROM.

The truth is that HTC and/or Verizon may make ANY changes they damn well please before there is a real OTA version and we won't know the details about what that version will contain before it arrives....

ytwokc5

Reaction score
You can install the newer "ota" leak over the one you already installed.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but please be more careful in what you tell people. There has NOT BEEN a real Android 2.1 "OTA" ROM for the Eris that's available to the public ("leaked" or otherwise). There will not be an OTA version until it's sent OTA (over the air). Until then, these are leaked Eris version 2.1 ROMs.

The first leaked ROM was rumored to be "the OTA" version... Then there was another leak and that one was rumored to be the one-true-OTA. Neither is an OTA ROM.

The truth is that HTC and/or Verizon may make ANY changes they damn well please before there is a real OTA version and we won't know the details about what that version will contain before it arrives....

Jolest is correct. I referred to the ROM I posted as the "OTA" rom in quotes, because it is commonly called the "OTA" candidate. Please don't anyone install it thinking it is the real OTA ROM from Verizon. Oh... and be sure to enjoy the second leaked 2.1 on your Eris.

Was that OK Jolest?

txarsoncop

Reaction score
Rooted & ROMmed

Been rooted & ROMmed here for about a month and loving it! The Eris is as fast as wifey's Moto Droid now.

Last I checked, it's been a while, there's no live wallpapers if you want to keep your Sense UI. I like Sense and the extra home screens more than some fancy wallpaper and not all of the live wallpapers will work with the Eris.

Be absolutely certain to backup your phone before you flash it with a new ROM! If not you'll be adding ALL of your contacts back to your phone book... ask me how I know... :mad: It was my fault, I read about that and forgot to do it.

GrdLock's all-in-one-rootscript will do all the work for you to root your Eris if you're nervous about d/l & installing SDK on your computer and then working with the command line stuff (C: _____ )

bill

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I told my wife I'd root/rom her Eris but she is hesitant. If she ever lets me, what ROM do you think works pretty well? She definitely wants to keep Sense but would like the phone to be a little snappier.

txarsoncop

Reaction score
I'm using GrdLock's and have been happy with it. I haven't tried any others though. My phone responds quicker and generally switches from portrait to landscape much faster, before it had HUGE lag when switching modes.

TDianna

Reaction score
Rooting

Before I download the all-in-one file to root my phone I have a question. I have the 3rd 2.1 leak and I am wondering which version does the all-in-one have?

Thanks

Update- it's the 2nd leak

Last edited: