Big Red Posts the Full Verizon Edge FAQ Online

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo-outdoor-sign.jpg

It's been quite a few weeks since VZW announced their new Verizon Edge smartphone upgrade programs. They were met with a great deal of skepticism, although for a rare few, the options might be worthwhile. Regardless of the intent or usefulness of the new Verizon Edge plan, Big Red just posted a full FAQ on the program online. We would be remiss in our duties if we didn't share it with you.

Here's a link to the full FAQ: Verizon Edge FAQs | Verizon Wireless

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
From what I've learned, I think the most important question -- suspiciously missing from the FAQ -- is:

When I purchase a new device in the Edge plan, will I pay the subsidized price or full price?

Answer: full price

In other words, by enrolling in Edge you gain the benefit of new phones every six or so months, but the added cost of paying full price instead of half. Now I understand why smarter owners recommend staying in a regular plan and then just reselling the phone you have when you want a new one.

-Matt

jspradling7

Reaction score
Yeah, you get to pay half price for as many phones as you want as long as you turn them all back in. And the last one you get to keep but pay full price for it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, you get to pay half price for as many phones as you want as long as you turn them all back in. And the last one you get to keep but pay full price for it.

Brilliant. The most clear and concise explanation I've heard!

-Matt

RemyL75

Reaction score
OK, I don't believe there is a carrier that is offering subsidized prices for any early upgrade programs, so why would VZW do it?? They are basically copying off of everyone else (save for Sprint, who so far has no early upgrade program in place).

Verizon actually has an upgrade program in place (Device Payment Program), but you pay an extra $24 (stretched out over 12 months) for it on top of the unsubsidized price. Thing is, you don't need to be eligible for an upgrade to get it. So basically they took away the upgrade fee and added the limitation of needing to be eligible for an upgrade and they double the time you have to pay the phone off (24 months as opposed to 12 months), and took out tablets as an option (Device Payment Plan allows you to purchase tablets). Yeah, I'll be sticking with ebay unless i REALLY want a new phone, then i will go with the Device Payment Program. $24 apparently gives you more freedom and less time on a device contract. Meh.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Without doing an analysis, you can't say with certainty there's no embedded subsidy. The carriers have risk in these plans - you're only paying $25 a month and the carrier needs that phone to be worth $450 or $300 depending on when you turn it in. If it's not - and there's plenty of risk - that loss represents your subsidy. I actually think they make money on these, but the fact that VZW can guarantee and certify a phone to sell it for more than you can on EBAY is neither here nor there.

Plus, "full retail" is $600 for phones that cost upwards of $700?

This plan isn't stupid because it's a rip-off, it's stupid because nobody needs a new phone every 6 months and the plan looks unaffordable because getting a new phone every 6 months IS unaffordable for like 98% of people.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I usually a get a "different" phone every 6-8 months. Do i get them directly from Verizon... every couple of years or so. Usually I go with ebay. Phone doesn't have to be brand new to be new to me. While this plan COULD help me get phones from Verizon, I will prob not be using it. And it's not that a new phone isn't out of reach for 98% of people, it's that 98% of people don't want a new phone or are that attracted to gadgets. Because let's face it, if people want it that bad enough, they will shell out for it. Most companies just aren't as good at brainwashing as others lol.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I guess the most practical use of the plan (in my view) would be to just pay the 25 dollars extra every month and replace your phone once a year with a new one. That would allow someone to get the newest version of their favorite device when it comes out without paying a lump sum.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I knew the day would come when people started paying on a loan for a phone. If you can't afford a phone from the get-go, you should probably check your priorities.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Droid Forums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I knew the day would come when people started paying on a loan for a phone. If you can't afford a phone from the get-go, you should probably check your priorities.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Droid Forums

If you look at the perspective of buying with a contract subsidy every 2 yrs (which is a bit light with where phones are now)...roughly $200 upfront and you can almost break-even two years later selling it for $150 or so. Compare that to $300/yr for the latest phone.

When I get a new phone, maybe a year from now (maybe a 6-mo old Note 3)...Not sure if I will sell my Rezound. Probably. My OG Droid is an alarm clock that I really don't need or use. I'd like to keep the Rezound for a back-up (I no longer pay insurance), but I'd probably be better off just taking $100 for it at that point.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm not thinking of it in terms of "it's stupid because nobody needs a new phone every 6 months" or "If you can't afford a phone from the get-go, you should probably check your priorities." How people spend their income is up to them, it doesn't affect me. I'm just talking about the plan because it was offered up in an article as a plan to help people who are concerned about losing their unlimited data and like to upgrade often. They offered 6gb and to sign up for this Edge plan to anyone who was on unlimited and has an upgrade due. (like me) 25 bucks a month is a lot for some people and one day's lunch tab for others. Paying 25 bucks extra a month for getting to trade your phone in for the latest tech each year may be a good deal for some folks. Plus they get the option to pay early and get a new phone in as little as 6 months if there is a device they just have to have and don't mind paying even more. As the plan is, in my opinion, a losing proposition. Now, if you got to keep every other device or some other advantage to make it worth while it may be a good plan. But this is a rental/lease plan. For me, staying on unlimited and buying a device when I want one is still a better deal.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
How people spend their income is up to them, it doesn't affect me...

If only this were true from the perspective of a taxpayer...When people who can't save two nickels to rub together hit hard times, they don't go to VZW with their hand out...

JoDroid

Reaction score
Do we lose our unlimited status with this plan? :serious:

edit: Nevermind... found the answer to be yes in another post :sad-b:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Do we lose our unlimited status with this plan? :serious:

edit: Nevermind... found the answer to be yes in another post :sad-b:

If you wait for the max plane you can receive 6gigs for the price of 2, only for those who have unlimited data to surrender.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

JoDroid

Reaction score
If you wait for the max plane you can receive 6gigs for the price of 2, only for those who have unlimited data to surrender.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

Hmmm..... not sure if I should give up the unlimited as I have the family plan? :question: