Bionic crawls out of the grave!!!

Oxn

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI) said that the Droid Bionic, a 4G smartphone, will launch with Verizon Wireless in the summer.

Motorola pushed back the timing of the launch to incorporate new features into the phone, which was originally slated to launch in the second quarter. While the phone may ship to carriers in time, a launch may occur in the third quarter.

"Based on compelling feedback since the show, we are incorporating several enhancements to make this an even better consumer experience," a Motorola spokeswoman said.

Many had speculated that the Droid Bionic was scrapped in favor of another model. It was one of four smartphones that Verizon Wireless held up during the Consumer Electronics Show in January during the presentation of its 4G service. Motorola Chief Executive Sanjay Jha also touted the device during his CES presentation.

Verizon Wireless so far has only one 4G smartphone, the HTC Corp. (HTCXF, 2498.TW) Thunderbolt, available to customers.

Verizon Wireless is jointly owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD, VOD.LN).

Motorola shares fell 2.3% to $23.03 in recent trading.

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2153; [email protected]

I wanna know what these "experience enhancements" are. Probably a rouse to buy more time to fix the 4g/tegra issues, and for our troubles we'll get an extra 512 of ram and maybe a little more internal storage.

Great news. I think I'll hold off on it...and maybe see what the Targa has to offer if it is coming soon after.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

this sounds just like what the insiders over at HoFo predicted: the Bionic would be scrapped, and the Targa would be renamed the Bionic and released in Q3...

Was about to post this, glad it is an official statement and from a good source. Bad news that it is pushed back even more, but it looks like it will be an even better phone. I'm done looking at rumors for a while now. dancedroid

this sounds just like what the insiders over at HoFo predicted: the Bionic would be scrapped, and the Targa would be renamed the Bionic and released in Q3...

That could very well be the case as well. They could just scrap the Targa design and update the Bionic specs to match what they intended for the Targa and the average consumer wouldn't even know. Either way, as long as it doesn't have too many issues, I can wait for it. I've been excited about it for a while so making it even better sounds good to me. Hopefully they'll soon announce what changes are being made.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

This is great news. We will have to wait longer, but I think the phone we get in the end will be worth it. I've all but resigned to ditching the Storm 1 I have and getting an X or D2 on ebay to make the wait more bearable.

This is great news. We will have to wait longer, but I think the phone we get in the end will be worth it. I've all but resigned to ditching the Storm 1 I have and getting an X or D2 on ebay to make the wait more bearable.

I got an X on ebay. It will make the wait much much easier!

I got an X on ebay. It will make the wait much much easier!

How did you pay because I was planning on doing the same thing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Doid-Life is saying the Targa is being renamed the Bionic and that will be coming out this summer. So it's not the original Bionic we have seen.

New Droid X directly from Verizon was recently reduced to $399 without a contract. Not a bad price for a still capable device.

I had a storm 1 and I hated it glad I have my droid 2 it will make waiting a lot easier. I would suggest changing.

Sent for Liberation

Is it a tegra or Bionic

I wanna know what these "experience enhancements" are. Probably a rouse to buy more time to fix the 4g/tegra issues, and for our troubles we'll get an extra 512 of ram and maybe a little more internal storage.

One way to know is the looks. The Targa has that nasty hump on the back for the camera. If you see the "Bionic" comes out looking like that you can bet they were saving face and renaming phones around.

Last edited:
Back