Bluetooth Audio skipping

cheddarlump

Just got the Droid 4 yesterday. Using it on Verizon's 4g network, and have discovered a really annoying issue: When playing audio across a bluetooth connection (either to a droid roadster or my 2012 chevy sonic), there are occaisional skips in the music. This happens about once every 4-6 seconds, and the cutout is brief, about 1/8th of a second. It does not happen for phone calls, nor do the skips happen if i disable bluetooth and listen via the built in speaker or the headphone jack. Wifi is disabled, and the source of the audio doesn't seem to matter. I've tried Pandora, Tune-in radio, and locally saved music, same result. It's not the network, as I just upgraded from a Samsung Droid Charge (also a 4g phone) which does NOT have this issue. I've unpaired from all sources, and re-paired, rebooted the phone, tried while charging / not charging, enabling gps / disabling gps, everything I can think of to isolate the issue. This phone is my in-car entertainment device, and if I can't use it for it's intended purpose, it's useless to me. If anybody has any ideas as to what's going on, I'd appreciate it. I've tried my best to isolate variables, and the phone is the only remaining one I can see.

OP
C

cheddarlump

I may have answered my own question. In the bluetooth setup on the "Wireless" settings on the phone, if the music connection appears ABOVE the phone connection (the connection for calls) the stuttering goes away. This leads me to believe it's a software issue. So if anybody stumbles upon this issue, add the phone connection first, THEN the music one, and the order should be right.

OP
C

cheddarlump

Nope. No joy. The bluetooth audio will only play without stuttering the FIRST time I pair the phone with a bluetooth audio device. It will play un-interrupted without stuttering as long as I like. The second and subsequent times it auto-pairs, the audio will continue to skip / stutter as described above. This is really starting to anger me, and I'm considering going back to my Droid Charge as it never had this issue..

Jopom

I hate being that guy that doesnt fix ur problem but says same for me, but making it known its a real issue. If i cant solve this problem then his phones getting returned. I've had this phone one day and like you i mainly listen to bluetooth audio. Major issue

Mike.757

Silver Member
If you end up taking your phone back, pick a phone that was designed to play music. I'm thinking of the Rezound. I had an issue with my Bionic and bought a Rezound. The battery was an issue so I went back to the Bionic. If music were more important to me, I would put the Rezound back in play even with the battery life which isn't that bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dagwood00

I have the same issue with a Droid 3 and it is killing me. What happened to quality control at Motorola? My Droid was awesome. The Droid 3 isn't half the phone the original was, and the 4 does not look much better.

MistaMean

I am also experiencing a minor annoyance with my bluetooth headset as well. When streaming music from Pandora or playing music from My Library there is like a 1/2 second drop out or skip then the music continues to play and this happens every one or two minutes. Overall to me the sound quality is great except for these constant breaks in the music. I have tried two different bluetooth headsets with this phone, Plantronics Backbeat 903+ and Jaybird Freedoms. I returned the Jaybird Freedoms because they were uncomfortable and hard to keep in my ears without falling out when running, they both had this same problem. With wired headphones I am not having this problem and I have followed all the suggested guidelines when using bluetooth. Wish there was a solution or a fix to this problem, even though I have learned to ignore that skip or drop out because I do enjoy being wireless when working out or on the job.

battlecanary