Buying a Maxx

jandrea95

Reaction score
Hey guys I hope this is technically the proper forum for this. Basically I want to buy a Maxx to replace my Thunderbolt that is now broken. My question is if I get one off of Craigslist is it as simple as going to the verizon site to switch it out? I currently am using an OG droid that I was successfully able to add to my account when the tbolt broke. But going BACK to a 4g phone with a SIM card will everything work ok? Hope this makes sense to someone :) . Also I was able to maintain my unlimited data with the OG droid because thats what my original contract was for.

Thanks and have a good day.

honors21

Reaction score
The Maxx takes a different Sim than the thunderbolt but everything is backed up from your Google account.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If purchasing from Craigslist, make sure the ESN of the phone is clear so that you can activate it. You will have to most likely go into the VZW store for activation as it does require the MicroSIM card (as indicated above)...If you are placing the phone on your current line that has unlimited data, that should not change and I would clarify before you leave the store that it didn't get changed in error - but all current unlimited users are grandfathered in and keep their unlimited data.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'd try swappa before resorting to Craigslist. Less risky IMO.

Tap'd to the Maxx

SallyC

Reaction score
If purchasing from Craigslist, make sure the ESN of the phone is clear so that you can activate it. You will have to most likely go into the VZW store for activation as it does require the MicroSIM card (as indicated above)

I'm not in the market for a phone, smalltowngirl, but just curious to learn. How do you check a phone's ESN and do you just go to Verizon and ask for a new SIM?

djsiva

Reaction score
sim cards are free at Verizon, and they can check your esn too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You can ask the seller for the ESN number and then verify it with VZW or even better, ask the seller to meet you at VZW so the ESN can be checked. And yes, you would just ask the VZW rep to activate your phone - there should be no charge for the SIM card and they would not extend your contract as you are using a phone that you own.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Buy one, get one free

Just as an aside here, wifey and I went in to Verizon today to buy/upgrade two new Razr Maxx's. Of course, we had to order them cuz the store was all out. But to our amazement, the deal was, BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE! Now, you informed folks might have already heard of this deal, but we hadn't, and were all prepared to fork over $600 or so bucks. Our total outlay was $424.72.

We had a $30 credit on our account (haven't a clue where that came from, but we don't ask...), bought one OtterBox phone case for mine (my phones take a LOT of abuse!), wifey got a standard case for hers, and we got a three-pack of screen protectors.

We have to wait until next weekend to pick them up (DRAT!).

$424.72! I'm jazzed to say the least. :icon_ lala:

We're in Carson City, NV, if that makes any difference.

DarthKinetic

Reaction score
Just as an aside here, wifey and I went in to Verizon today to buy/upgrade two new Razr Maxx's. Of course, we had to order them cuz the store was all out. But to our amazement, the deal was, BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE! Now, you informed folks might have already heard of this deal, but we hadn't, and were all prepared to fork over $600 or so bucks. Our total outlay was $424.72.

We had a $30 credit on our account (haven't a clue where that came from, but we don't ask...), bought one OtterBox phone case for mine (my phones take a LOT of abuse!), wifey got a standard case for hers, and we got a three-pack of screen protectors.[quote

We have to wait until next weekend to pick them up (DRAT!).

$424.72! I'm jazzed to say the least. :icon_ lala:

We're in Carson City, NV, if that makes any difference!!!
:blink::blink::blink:

THATS TOO MUCH!!!!!

i called in and got my two razr maxxs for$ 268 check the VZw website!!!! 249 bogo on linef if you have two lines available for upgrade!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I was almost a week too early for the BOGO. On a side note; the screen protectors will just collect fingerprints. The naked screen is extremely scratch AND fingerprint resistant. Scratch resistance is the number one reason why I came back to Motorola. My Thunderbolt looks like a pittbull was teething on it.

Zebulon

Reaction score
I got my BIONIC off of craigslist. I had a DROID X. I picked it up from the man, went straight to Verizon, they threw a 4g card in, called, I believe, *328, then handed it to me. I entered my Google account and I was on my way. No problems at all. Hope it goes as smoothly for you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
J

jandrea95

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies guys. I greatly appreciate it !

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I was almost a week too early for the BOGO. On a side note; the screen protectors will just collect fingerprints. The naked screen is extremely scratch AND fingerprint resistant. Scratch resistance is the number one reason why I came back to Motorola. My Thunderbolt looks like a pittbull was teething on it.

Take your receipt to a verizon store and they will give you their sale price (You will have to have another eligible upgrade or add another line to take advantage of the BOGO). I was just at Verizon yesterday. He got the rezound but debated on others that were on sale. I told the rep that I hate buying a phone that its not on sale and wondered if I should wait a couple weeks to see if the rezound drops in price. She said that if a phone drops in price or has a special within 14 days after your purchase then all you need to do its bring your receipt and they will honor the special.

Sent from my AT100 using DroidForums

MrTommy

Reaction score
DID get the deal...

:blink::blink::blink:

THATS TOO MUCH!!!!!

i called in and got my two razr maxxs for$ 268 check the VZw website!!!! 249 bogo on linef if you have two lines available for upgrade!!!!!!!

Well, we actually did get them for $269, but with all the sales tax, and the accessories we bought, it came out to the $425. Ya scared me there for a minute. :frown:

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Take your receipt to a verizon store and they will give you their sale price (You will have to have another eligible upgrade or add another line to take advantage of the BOGO). I was just at Verizon yesterday. He got the rezound but debated on others that were on sale. I told the rep that I hate buying a phone that its not on sale and wondered if I should wait a couple weeks to see if the rezound drops in price. She said that if a phone drops in price or has a special within 14 days after your purchase then all you need to do its bring your receipt and they will honor the special.

Sent from my AT100 using DroidForums

Thanks for the tip. I called customer service last night. My 14 days was up as of today. Amazingly enough, they honored it without hassle. Also exchanged my kids Bionic for another Maxx. Again, without hassle. Couldn't get them to budge on the 4G cap deal for the other kids Xperia Play, but it says right on the add that the deal is for 4G phones only. But the Play cost less than some of the dumb phones, and much less than the Vita that he wanted, so...