Can You Bring Game Data From Stock ROM to Liberty?

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Before flashing Liberty, I made a backup of my stock ROM right after rooting. I even placed all my games to my SD card, but after flashing Liberty, I couldn't seem to find my game data. The only one I care about was Angry Birds because I was working on 3 starring everything and was pretty far.

Anyway, is it even possible to bring such data from the SD card to a ROM like Liberty or should I just accept the hundreds/thousands of pros that Liberty offers against one measly con (still fun to play the game).

Thanks in advance :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can use titanium backup to backup and restore apps and data. It will carry over your saved games.

tappin and a talkin

Reaction score
The Angry Birds game data is stored at /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua. Save that file to your SD card. Then, when you're ready to restore your game data:

(1) If you haven't already done so, complete the first level of Angry Birds so that it will create the requisite folder structure.

(2) Replace /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua with your saved copy, using Root Explorer.

(3) Bingo! Your saved game data will have been restored. However, it seems like the next level after the last one you completed will remain locked, so you'll have to complete the last level you'd completed in order to unlock the next level.

If you perform step (2) without first performing step (1), the highscores.lua file may have the wrong permissions, and the game may force close or quit unexpectedly. Fixing it is easy, but following the above process is just as easy and quite foolproof (at least from my experience).

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
The Angry Birds game data is stored at /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua. Save that file to your SD card. Then, when you're ready to restore your game data:

(1) If you haven't already done so, complete the first level of Angry Birds so that it will create the requisite folder structure.

(2) Replace /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds/files/highscores.lua with your saved copy, using Root Explorer.

(3) Bingo! Your saved game data will have been restored. However, it seems like the next level after the last one you completed will remain locked, so you'll have to complete the last level you'd completed in order to unlock the next level.

If you perform step (2) without first performing step (1), the highscores.lua file may have the wrong permissions, and the game may force close or quit unexpectedly. Fixing it is easy, but following the above process is just as easy and quite foolproof (at least from my experience).

I've actually completed about 6-7 levels so far. So do I need to clear data then redo the first level only?

I'll have to search the market for Root Explorer as I don't believe I have that program, unless its built into Liberty.

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
You can use titanium backup to backup and restore apps and data. It will carry over your saved games.

tappin and a talkin

I'll see what titanium can do for me as well. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

EDIT: I downloaded it and it looks a great app and I'll be sure to hang on to it, but doesn't seem to fix my situation, but will prevent it from happening again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've actually completed about 6-7 levels so far. So do I need to clear data then redo the first level only?

I'll have to search the market for Root Explorer as I don't believe I have that program, unless its built into Liberty.

No, you can skip step (1) then.

Root Explorer costs a few bucks but it's worth it if you have a rooted phone and want direct (and graphical) access to your file system. In my opinion, it's the only file manager you need.

canvs2321

Reaction score
Some emails i've got from ppl using my app and titanium backup, be sure that the data you restore has the correct file permissions so that that app has permissions to it.

People restoring my app and app data has caused problems as it didn't restore the correct permissions.

Reaction score
I don't know about Titanium Backup, but Root Explorer seems to keep file permissions intact when you replace a file, hence my suggestion to play at least one level of the game first so that the requisite files and folders are created with the correct permissions.

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score

Using the default File Manager on my phone, I navigated my "data" file from ClockWork, which I used to back up my phone prior to Liberty. However, my data is called "data.img" and I am unable to open it. Is this why I need root explorer to be able to open these types of files or did my backup not work correctly or something?

Reaction score
Using the default File Manager on my phone, I navigated my "data" file from ClockWork, which I used to back up my phone prior to Liberty. However, my data is called "data.img" and I am unable to open it. Is this why I need root explorer to be able to open these types of files or did my backup not work correctly or something?

It looks like the backup is in the form of a disc image. There may be a way to extract files from the data.img file but if there is, I don't know it. The only solution I can think of is to make a new backup, restore the old backup, copy the highscores.lua file to your SD card, restore the new backup, and then use Root Explorer to copy the highscores.lua file from your SD card to the appropriate folder.

I know, I know, that's a pain. If anyone else has an easier solution for pulling files out of Android .IMG files, I'm certainly interested in knowing it.

(Note: On retrospect, the OI File Manager that comes with Liberty may or may not be able to write to your /data folder. I know that it can't write to the /system folder, which is why I removed the file manager from my phone awhile ago and use Root Explorer instead. But you should try it and see; if it works, that would save you a few bucks from not having to buy Root Explorer.)

(Note #2: Alternatively, if the OI File Manager refuses to write to the /data folder, you can still save yourself a few bucks by creating an update.zip file that copies the highscores.lua file into the appropriate folder. Let me know if you want to pursue this route and need help. Try using the Liberty File Manager first, though.)

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score

It looks like the backup is in the form of a disc image. There may be a way to extract files from the data.img file but if there is, I don't know it. The only solution I can think of is to make a new backup, restore the old backup, copy the highscores.lua file to your SD card, restore the new backup, and then use Root Explorer to copy the highscores.lua file from your SD card to the appropriate folder.

I know, I know, that's a pain. If anyone else has an easier solution for pulling files out of Android .IMG files, I'm certainly interested in knowing it.

(Note: On retrospect, the OI File Manager that comes with Liberty may or may not be able to write to your /data folder. I know that it can't write to the /system folder, which is why I removed the file manager from my phone awhile ago and use Root Explorer instead. But you should try it and see; if it works, that would save you a few bucks from not having to buy Root Explorer.)

(Note #2: Alternatively, if the OI File Manager refuses to write to the /data folder, you can still save yourself a few bucks by creating an update.zip file that copies the highscores.lua file into the appropriate folder. Let me know if you want to pursue this route and need help. Try using the Liberty File Manager first, though.)

Thanks so much for trying to help me figure this out! I'll have to try tomorrow though as its getting late and I'm expecting a phone call and would hate to miss it due to me messing with my phone. I'll report back tomorrow and see what I can do.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well its not all that honest but there's an app in the marketplace called angry cheaters alpha that can rewrite your angry birds save data. Granted its only a solution for that one game but you could use it to get yourself back to where you were.

tappin and a talkin

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Well its not all that honest but there's an app in the marketplace called angry cheaters alpha that can rewrite your angry birds save data. Granted its only a solution for that one game but you could use it to get yourself back to where you were.

tappin and a talkin

Could be a plan B. I honestly can't remember each one I actually 3 starred, but at least I could the bulk of correct.

Reaction score
Well its not all that honest but there's an app in the marketplace called angry cheaters alpha that can rewrite your angry birds save data.

Honesty is overrated when it comes to games. All's fair in love, war, and shooting green pigs, eh? :icon_ banana:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's true. My girl lost all of her saved data when she got a replacement phone but she was only like ten stages in so I just gave her 3 stars on all of em.

tappin and a talkin