Celebrating 10 years of Android.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had the Incredible 2 and it was a solid phone. IMHO it didn't live up to the Incredible name. It was a good phone but nothing about it blew me away. After that I had a Rezound. That definitely was the most under rated phone out without a doubt. Awesome camera, great screen, and powerful. The only issue was it was a battery hog. I bought the extended battery. That added some bulk to the phone but it would last all day. Loved that phone. That would be my last HTC phone. They made some nice phones. I'm still using the Beats ear buds to this day.
I couldn't remember, was the incredible 2 a LTE phone or 3G?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think the Incredible 2 was still 3G and the Inc 4 was the 4G version released a year or so later. I think?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looked it up. It was LTE. Wow hard to believe HTC really released 3 LTE flagship phones for Verizon that year. The thunderbolt was meant to say Verizon had its own Evo. Incredible 2 was a Droid phone for Eris users to upgrade, and still not sure the true purpose of the rezound, other that to have a "beats" phone.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Look at the battery life differences lol. But that shows LTE.
fd7d9235f2d011dfbd85105055dd9aec.jpg

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My first foray into Android was kind of through a backdoor. I was running an HTC HD2 with Windows Mobile, but was dual-booting Android Froyo from an SD Card. It wasn't 100% operational, and definitely not suitable for daily driving, but it was enough to play with and whet an appetite for OS's named after desserts. Sadly while working on the water one day, my precious HD2 went overboard to forever be entombed in Davey Jones' Locker.

At that point I was able to convince my employer to update my company flip phone to a smart phone and got the Incredible 2. That was most definitely not an LTE phone, just 3G which was what was available at the time. It was just a good solid reliable phone, but nothing wiz bang about it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before I start with 2012, I forgot a very important Android phone for 2011, The Galaxy note. But this will lead into 2012.

This is the year Samsung dropped their flag and began the shift of power from HTC and Motorola to Samsung. But before we get there let's talk about the other important 2012 phones.

I want to start with the Nexus 4. This phone was released without LTE after the debacle with the Galaxy Nexus. The LTE issues were such a problem that Google then denied the phone as a true "Nexus" phone. The Nexus 4 was made by LG and that would begin a long relationship with LG and Google.

HTC Droid DNA, take HTC One X, add in a beats logo, Verizon's custom apps, and the Droid label, and you get this phone. This was a nice looking phone overall.

Speaking of HTC, let's talk about the HTC ONE X. This was truly one of the last great phones put out by HTC. The phone had a solid build, awesome display, better battery life (compared to HTC phone in the past), and overall was a pretty good phone. This phone could have been the best phone of the year if it wasn't for Samsung.

The Moto Droid phones: Droid Razr M, Droid Razr Maxx, and Droid Razr Maxx HD, three Motorola flagship phones for Verizon. The Droid Razr M was the phone with the smaller footprint and introduced us to the famous Motorola circular clock widget. The Razr Maxx and Razr Maxx HD had the potential to be a top selling phone. But Verizon wanted to wait until Fall to release the phone versus the dead period of Summer. And that move cost them. There were a number of people, including myself, lined up waiting for the Droid Razr Maxx HD. A phone with a large battery, it was a Droid phone by Motorola, which meant awesome radios. And after coming off of the Galaxy Nexus, the talk for many of us were the poor radios on samsung phones versus Motorola. With the Droid Charge and the Galaxy Nexus having their problems we welcomed those Motorola radios.

Samsung has two big phones. First was the popular S3. This was Samsung going the Apple route making one phone (versus cannibalizing themselves like before). They took it to Apple starting their trolling of Apple fans in their commerical. "The next big thing".
The phone inspired by nature was one of the top selling phones of that year.

Then came the note 2. Samsung surprised and shocked the market with how good the note was, starting the term "phablet". After seeing the specs, a phone with a quad core processor .... Yeah that was the end for Motorola for me. Plus the note was able to be rooted and modded. Yeah it was an easy choice and I chose the note 2, just like many that year. And this begun the shift in power. Leading to the eventual change in where the Droid line stood in the food chain of smartphones.

The note 2 brought so much to the table with the s pen, large display, awesome specs, and was the phone that shifted the focus to Samsung as a heavy hitter. We also got to "love" Touchwiz.

I still have my note 2 in a drawer somewhere.

We also had LG's Optimus G and HTC ONE S phones, but those fell shadow to what Samsung did. Phablets were in, and we would see the push toward larger phones. Oh and those Samsung radios we were concerned about, not an issue.

What phones stood out to you in 2012?

source: Top 10 Android Phones of 2012

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The DNA was my wife's first Android. Her friends talked her into getting a Blackberry then they both switched, one to an iPhone the other to the Rezound. My wife saw all the fun I was having with my Droids and she got a little jealous so I got her the DNA. She doesn't know squat about phone's so I pick them out for her. It was a good phone but I still liked my Rezound better.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There were a lot of great phones in that 2012 list. The Note 2 was definitely solid, I had one as a company provided work phone for years and it ran good (all except the Bluetooth issues that plagued Samsung phones of that era). For me, the Droid Razr M stands out the most. That little guy was awesome. I liked it so much we ended up with all four of us owning one at the same time, in different colors. It had a great form factor, nice small size, yet long lasting battery. The contoured Kevlar backing was pretty cool also. And Moto was still making nice accessories back then; the car dock and bedside dock / flip stand for the 2012 Droid phones were awesome & very practical.

tedZilla99

Reaction score
I started with the OG Droid, and after I had the Bionic, X, and Razr. I think the Razr was my favorite at the time, hard to recall! I found the Bionic the other day, still boots up with that awesome startup screen.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
You do realize I'm going to have to boot up my old Droid when I get to work. DROID.

Wadman

Reaction score
Started with the OG droid
Then the droid x
og galaxy nexus (verizon)
galaxy note 2 and 3
droid turbo 2
currently using a moto z2 play
Really looking hard at galaxy note 9 but its really hard to give up the moto mods