chrome cast

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Saw the device, saw the post in our news section...very nice. Gotta get me one'a those! :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm still debating if I want this or not. I got a "smart tv" and ps3 media server to stream from my PC, debating if this would be worth the small price...

Can you stream directly from Chrome? As in any videos or do they have to be specific supported websites?

Hmm just read it won't stream local content from your PC, think I'll sit this one out even though it's so cheap.

Last edited:
OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
Saw the device, saw the post in our news section...very nice. Gotta get me one'a those! :biggrin:

Oh, I must have missed it, do any stores sale the fob?

sent from a note yee (2)

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Do I have to have a separate internet connection with this or will it work using the phone's hotspot?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you stream directly from Chrome? As in any videos or do they have to be specific supported websites?

It will - though they said that feature is in beta, but will be quickly improved upon.

Oh, I must have missed it, do any stores sale the fob?

Best Buy is supposed to be selling it. I saw on G+ one lucky guy that convinced them to let him buy it early (doesn't that always seem to happen?), and I'm going to check with my Best Buy today to see.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well, you just got me debating the chromecast again, jnt :D

Any word on support formats? Cause PS3 Media server is what I mainly use and that's pretty good at playing a good selection of video files (mp4, mkv, wmv, etc). I have a couple that won't play through it so I end up having to move it to my laptop and play it through my laptop via HDMI cable. Can be a bit of a pain, but it is a workaround. If I can solve all that with a $35 dongle, then I'm in.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure - it sounds like it's pretty open, but there's always some format that doesn't work everywhere...

I'm excited to be able to stream Amazon Instant Video finally.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I'm not sure - it sounds like it's pretty open, but there's always some format that doesn't work everywhere...

I'm excited to be able to stream Amazon Instant Video finally.
True.

We'll see. I almost got a WDTV Live awhile back cause that one was very universal, but my current setup is pretty good so far. If it does and at that price I'll get it, but I'll wait a bit. I'm sure unlike their other attempts at TV, this one is going to be sticking around. If not, heck, it'll be even cheaper if I do decide to get one down the road.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me the price point is a no brainer. We already pay Netflix $8/month, so even though it'll be spread out over a few months, this will ultimately only cost us $13-14 after taxes. I've been waiting for an Android-like solution to compete against Airplay (we have Apple TV), and this looks to be it, with even more options potentially. I just checked and a lot of the Best Buys around me have them in stock, so I'll probably drop by and grab one today sometime!

The only thing I can't seem to find is whether or not it has to be plugged in constantly to it's usb power source, or it just has to charge every now and then. I'm guessing it's the former, but the videos I've seen show it plugging in to the HDMI port without being plugged into the usb power source.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For me the price point is a no brainer. We already pay Netflix $8/month, so even though it'll be spread out over a few months, this will ultimately only cost us $13-14 after taxes. I've been waiting for an Android-like solution to compete against Airplay (we have Apple TV), and this looks to be it, with even more options potentially. I just checked and a lot of the Best Buys around me have them in stock, so I'll probably drop by and grab one today sometime!

The only thing I can't seem to find is whether or not it has to be plugged in constantly to it's usb power source, or it just has to charge every now and then. I'm guessing it's the former, but the videos I've seen show it plugging in to the HDMI port without being plugged into the usb power source.
Hehe, yeah but you gotta remember, they gotta present clean looking technology. They're not going to show off the Chromecast with it plugged in to a power source (which is pretty misleading, imo). Even if it isn't what it is exactly shown, $35...you get ALOT for $35.