Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think it works but I didn't realize the edge screen lighting only lasts for a couple seconds. I don't stare at my phone so I'm not seeing the edge screen when it happens.
9a5518717f251a421b5d3df19a331444.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you leave it face down believe it repeats... It does come and go quick with screen on though.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
So after a couple weeks seems the last 2 weeks or so my battery in hosed. Anyone else seeing this after the 8.0 update? Android System is killing it. Just sitting idle its dropping 2-3 percent an hour sometimes more.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
no problems here with the battery. it is a bit better than before the update. you may need to go through things and make sure no settings changed after the update. just did a quick search and there seems to be others with the same problem with various solutions. too many to post here. My suggestions is to google the problem

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I saw no improvement, and on some days, it is worse. Today was one of those days.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I feel for you.
I just had a desktop hard drive crash. Years of valuable items lost.

Not to derail my own thread, but if anyone can recommend a hard drive repair/data recovery service that they have used, PM me.
(For the record, I have already tried multiple recovery software. I've had 2 crashes in the past and successfully recovered using software, but this time nothing can read the drive)

I know this is probably too late to have any value but I have had luck in some of those instances by putting the drive in a plastic bag and then the freezer for a couple hours. Add it to your computer and if it spins up copy as much as you can before it get warm and stops working again. Repeat until you get as much as possible before this fails.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My battery has been fine so far. The thing that is driving me crazy a persistent Device Maintenance pop-up (see screenshot). Tried troubleshooting it a million ways sideways of Sunday with no success so finally did an FDR. That solved the problem for about a week and it has now decided to show its ugly face again.

The error makes no sense. It's not an app. It's the system server. Selecting to close app only restarts the phone and soon after, the pop-up error reappears. When pop-up is present and I go into the Device Maintenance settings, it shows me at 99% "optimized"???
15b5a16f0d21e395e182fd96ed6accdb.jpg
bf96d984982ed144551654d1487d660b.jpg

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
did you turn notifications off? click on battery and the three dots on the upper right, tap it, then advance settings to disable notifications
Never considered turning the notification off. I may need to do that cuz it's driving me crazy. But what's ridiculous is that the notification seems absurd/inaccurate given that it's reporting an excess yet when going into the optimization settings it reports that it's 99% optimized. How & why is operating at 99% optimization soliciting an error popup?

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably too late to have any value but I have had luck in some of those instances by putting the drive in a plastic bag and then the freezer for a couple hours. Add it to your computer and if it spins up copy as much as you can before it get warm and stops working again. Repeat until you get as much as possible before this fails.
Thanks, I have heard of that, but have not tried it. I just may though.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thanks, I have heard of that, but have not tried it. I just may though.

there is a bit of controversy as to whether or not the method works but one thing for sure, it could damage other components. remember when something is frozen, then moved into warm air it causes condensation. It could drip on electronic components and cause shorts.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I was getting similar reports until I turned off notifications. I guess it is not good enough unless it is 100 percent.
Well, this has reached a new level of annoying. I turned off notification under the advanced settings for battery but I'm still getting the same alert. I may need to do another fdr.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
there is a bit of controversy as to whether or not the method works but one thing for sure, it could damage other components. remember when something is frozen, then moved into warm air it causes condensation. It could drip on electronic components and cause shorts.
One of the reasons for the plastic bag. I have an external method of attaching drives so the only damage might be to the drive that is already not working. I repair computers and have used this method numerous times - Zero negative effects, close to 100% ability to spin up the drive. If the original damage happened to be in catalog sectors other software might be required but that is rare. Usually I am able to image the drive before it again stops working and then get back almost everything. Only real issue I've had was with mac drives (my cloning is done on windows machine) where I get everything but their (in my view) silly iPhoto software does not store photos normally but in a database I can recover but not open.

This method can be effective after a head crash as metal contracts a bit when cooled and allows the head to come lose from the platter. Doesn't fix point of contact and that file or files will have damage. Other electronic failures of the drive are rare but happen and this will not fix those. In those cases you have to send it to a lab the removes the platters in a clean room and then spin them in different electronics. Cost $1000 last time I checked. Rarely really worth that. I looked into doing that but cost was prohibitive.

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well, this has reached a new level of annoying. I turned off notification under the advanced settings for battery but I'm still getting the same alert. I may need to do another fdr.

Long press on the notification in the drop down when it comes up and turn off notifications there.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My battery has been fine so far. The thing that is driving me crazy a persistent Device Maintenance pop-up (see screenshot). Tried troubleshooting it a million ways sideways of Sunday with no success so finally did an FDR. That solved the problem for about a week and it has now decided to show its ugly face again.

The error makes no sense. It's not an app. It's the system server. Selecting to close app only restarts the phone and soon after, the pop-up error reappears. When pop-up is present and I go into the Device Maintenance settings, it shows me at 99% "optimized"???
15b5a16f0d21e395e182fd96ed6accdb.jpg
bf96d984982ed144551654d1487d660b.jpg

Update: after doing everything to turn these notifications off with no relief, I decided to try a different approach. Looked for seldom used apps that seemed to use resources. One app seemed to be the culprit (VeryFit Pro). I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I have not gotten the notification since even though sometimes optimization is only 90%.