Contract Extension VS New 2 Year

androidian

Reaction score
I don't see a category for verizon's service discussion, so Il stick it here.

A new droid x is FREE with a 2 year agreement, which a contract extension its $40.

My contract ends 4/19/12.

So, why not quit once your contract is up, and start over again with a new 2 year, and get the droid x for free, instead of renewing the contract for 2 years and paying $40?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
cause it's all personal preference.

2012 seems like a good year for more phones to come out and it's flexible to their customers. Wait to get a new phone when your contract is up or upgrade early for a very small price on the phone.

OP
A

androidian

Reaction score
Well from people I talked to, you cant upgrade early. I tried to upgrade to the droid X, but it said I was not upgradeable until 4/19/2012

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well from people I talked to, you cant upgrade early. I tried to upgrade to the droid X, but it said I was not upgradeable until 4/19/2012

incorrect. I'm on a family plan and the main lines are eligible for upgrade after one year of contract has been met. I had the opportunity to get my added on line upgraded to a Droid Incredible from my original Droid, it just requires a renewal of another 2 years. Verizon was able to move the upgrade eligibility from the main line to my add-on line.

Normally an add-on line takes 20 months (maybe less?) before eligible upgrade, but a main line is i believe 12 months.

OP
A

androidian

Reaction score
Goody. Thx for the info. 4/19/11 is one day before my birthday. Should I get a droid incredible or a droid x?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Goody. Thx for the info. 4/19/11 is one day before my birthday. Should I get a droid incredible or a droid x?

There should be plenty more phones released by then, even some dual-core ones. You'll have many more choices than what's out right now, patience will pay off.

OP
A

androidian

Reaction score
Dual core? For real? I thought the fastest cpu on a phone right now is one ghz.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dual core? For real? I thought the fastest cpu on a phone right now is one ghz.

by the time you upgrade the phones will be far more advanced. the cell phone and computer industry moves very fast. by the time you get your new smartphone, it will be obsolete in practically 3 months, well not obsolete, but no longer the fastest phone on the market.

however, don't ever look at it that way, or else you will never truly enjoy your phone. i had the original droid for just a couple days over the 1 year mark and loved it. rooting,ROMing, customizing it. Sure it may have lacked in hardware compared to the DX or Dinc, but it was fully customizable, something the other two, or no other phone on verizon had for that matter.

You'll be in for a real treat once its time to upgrade your line. The DX or Dinc probably won't even cross your mind anymore by the time your upgrade arrives.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about the option here. Did you have significant time remaining until your NE2? Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Leaning towards wanting to get my plan on annual renewals. Phones are changing fast and are very soon going to become a realistic option for me at times in lieu of lugging around my laptop. Maybe if I upgrade to a more expensive plan than the base $40 for 450 minutes I'll get annual upgrades. Just not sure I trust that and it's a lot of cash (so in the end you pay the same amount regardless, which makes sense).

Hmmm....Need to convince a family member or friend to trade their upgrade for my old phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm confused about the option here. Did you have significant time remaining until your NE2? Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Leaning towards wanting to get my plan on annual renewals. Phones are changing fast and are very soon going to become a realistic option for me at times in lieu of lugging around my laptop. Maybe if I upgrade to a more expensive plan than the base $40 for 450 minutes I'll get annual upgrades. Just not sure I trust that and it's a lot of cash (so in the end you pay the same amount regardless, which makes sense).

Hmmm....Need to convince a family member or friend to trade their upgrade for my old phone.

I have a family plan, 4 people; 2 main lines and 2 add-ons (i am an add-on). The two main lines were eligible for upgrade and instead of upgrading those lines, verizon allowed me to upgrade my add-on line with one of the main line upgrades. The main line can be upgraded after 12months i believe, an add-on line can be upgraded after 20months. By doing so i upgraded from the original Droid to my Incredible now. However, as any renewal, it requires a renewal of contract, meaning I'm with Verizon for 2 more years (not that I'd leave anyway).

Annual plans are more expensive since the commitment isn't as long. Unless you plan on switching carriers due to various reasons, they set up the 2yr plan to be flexible like that. Main line can upgrade after one year of contract, the add-ons get same opportunity, just at a later time. In the end it depends who's on your plan and such and their willingness to sacrifice their upgrade for your line, I was lucky enough

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Annual plans are more expensive since the commitment isn't as long. Unless you plan on switching carriers due to various reasons, they set up the 2yr plan to be flexible like that. Main line can upgrade after one year of contract, the add-ons get same opportunity, just at a later time. In the end it depends who's on your plan and such and their willingness to sacrifice their upgrade for your line, I was lucky enough

I guess I've never looked at it. I understand the subsidy is less for 1yr plans but didn't realize the minutes is maybe higher priced.

Just trying to figure out how to manage upgrades without getting into tacking on another 2 years to my contract every year. I don't see myself ever leaving VZW but I don't necessarily want to rack-up a 5yr commitment, either.

Nopetize

Reaction score
I don't see a category for verizon's service discussion, so Il stick it here.

A new droid x is FREE with a 2 year agreement, which a contract extension its $40.

My contract ends 4/19/12.

So, why not quit once your contract is up, and start over again with a new 2 year, and get the droid x for free, instead of renewing the contract for 2 years and paying $40?

1 pro - You get to save $40 on the new phone.

2 cons - You will probably lose your current number and will probably have to pay an activation fee associated with the new account.

So....it would save you paper work and time to just pay the $40...no real savings to get a new account.

Nopetize

Reaction score

I guess I've never looked at it. I understand the subsidy is less for 1yr plans but didn't realize the minutes is maybe higher priced.

Just trying to figure out how to manage upgrades without getting into tacking on another 2 years to my contract every year. I don't see myself ever leaving VZW but I don't necessarily want to rack-up a 5yr commitment, either.

You won't rack up 5yrs...the renewal will always run for 2 and only 2 years...it will start from the date of the renewal!

Detonation

Reaction score
To make things even more complicated, you can also sign up for a one year renewal (instead of the usual 2) at your annual upgrade, meaning your contract doesn't get extended any further. However, the discount on the phone is $70 less...but for me thats worth it to keep myself free from contract as much as possible while still getting new phones.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You won't rack up 5yrs...the renewal will always run for 2 and only 2 years...it will start from the date of the renewal!

If you're offered an upgrade. What I was talking about is I have been offered, in the past, the chance to get the NE2 price by tacking an additional 2 years onto my contract. Maybe those reps were mistaken, but clearly you can't get a new phone today, and then another one tomorrow by doing a new contract that effectively ends only one day later. I'm saying at that point you are locked in for 4 years. Sounds something like maybe what the OP was offered, basically $0 for a free X and a contract going 3.5 years from today or $40 for the X and a contract ending 2 years from today.