Cracked screen

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I felt awful. I only had my 8 + for about a week. Coming out of a building, the music from the phone started playing for some reason. So I picked the phone out of my pocket to turn off the music when my foot caught one of those concrete parking lot dividers and down I went.

The screen cracked in a number of places near the bottom. Nothing broke...just spider web type fractures. It's not covered from what I've read even if you had insurance on the phone (which I didn't - because I've used these things for decades and never ever dropped one.

So I find this screen replacement kit. Does anyone know how difficult this. If the factory did it, I'd be without the phone for god knows how long and I doubt there's any place here in town where I can walk in and get it replaced.

Galaxy S8 Plus: Repair Kits, Screens, Cases, Chargers

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there are several youtube videos on replacing the screens. you may want to search for then watch them and see if it would be difficult for you. what is easy for one person may be difficult for another.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear about your broken screen Bluesman. Hope you can get it repaired / replaced.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Oh man that sucks.. I'm one not too confident I could replace a screen without causing further damage myself

Sent using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
So sorry, bluesman. I too cracked my screen on my N5. First time I ever cracked a screen. It's almost a two year old phone and I was sickened to see that cracked screen. I can imagine how much worse it must've felt for you.

See if you can find a Samsung tech, locally. Best Buy stores often have them. They may be able to suggest the quickest and best way to fix.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just saw a repair place online and called them. They wanted over $300 to replace it. That's not going to happen. Actually, the phone works perfectly so I'll try to live with it. When the phone is turned on, you can barely see the cracks. But next time in Best Buy I'll ask for others local who can fix these things. I watched one of the "how to" videos. I think I'll pass on that endeavor.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Just saw a repair place online and called them. They wanted over $300 to replace it. That's not going to happen. Actually, the phone works perfectly so I'll try to live with it. When the phone is turned on, you can barely see the cracks. But next time in Best Buy I'll ask for others local who can fix these things. I watched one of the "how to" videos. I think I'll pass on that endeavor.

did you check locally? a lot of mom and pop phone stores will do it. However. you can live with it and don't already have one, put a screen protector on it. It could hide some of the cracks and since cracks tend to expand, hold the glass in place.

Personally I would get it fixed. pressure on the cracks during usage or kept in tight pockets could cause external damage in the future and eventually make the phone unusable and even more expensive to fix.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Ok. Will try best buy and see if they have any recommendations.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok. Will try best buy and see if they have any recommendations.
See if they have a Samsung representative. If so, I hope the rep would be able to advise on best ways to get it done.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I'll do that. Not crazy about best buy..makes me nuts when I can't just pick up a phone and call them. I'll see if they have a samsung rep

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
See if they have a Samsung representative. If so, I hope the rep would be able to advise on best ways to get it done.

Just a heads up, the Samsung area will be replaced this month with a home security company.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
What is Samsung area??

As an aside, I read somewhere that if your screen is cracked, it won't be covered under warranty. Don't know if that's true but how is that possible?