Dead phone, data recovery?

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
I have a broken lcd and digitizer and would like to recover the data/pictures from my phone. For some reason the USB isn't being recognized by either of my computers at this time. Do I have any options or am I out of luck? Thanks!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Was the phone ever connected to those computers?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
C

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
Was the phone ever connected to those computers?

Yes, I had it connected to my main laptop previously.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, I had it connected to my main laptop previously.
Hmmm...not sure why it will jot connect now? Do you still have the Moto Device Manager software installed on the PC? And is it up to date? Most of my Moto phones have only connected successfully as a USB device when the MDM software was up to date.

OP
C

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
Hmmm...not sure why it will jot connect now? Do you still have the Moto Device Manager software installed on the PC? And is it up to date? Most of my Moto phones have only connected successfully as a USB device when the MDM software was up to date.

I just checked and it is up to date and still not connecting. I can hear the phone turn on so I know it's working, and it also appears to be charging when plugged into either the computer (USB) or the wall outlet.

I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to replace the lcd/digitizer or if the entire thing is just junk...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have had my Maxx connected to my laptop this afternoon and noticed that it did jot show as a USB device until I unlocked the screen....don't remember that happening on any other Droid I have owned (maybe I just never noticed?). If you have a lock screen enabled, maybe that's why your PC is not seeing the phone?

OP
C

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
Yea, that's kinda what I was hoping.
Is there anyway to see the phone on another screen (since we don't have mini-hdmi ports)?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yea, that's kinda what I was hoping.
Is there anyway to see the phone on another screen (since we don't have mini-hdmi ports)?
I think the only other way was to have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options. You probably didn't have that selected since your PC is not seeing the phone. Maybe someone else will chime in here with another idea...but ts not looking good right now. Sorry.

OP
C

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
Bummer. Do you think it would be a safe bet to replace the lcd/digitizer and have it work again?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know that some people have done it. I have never tried myself...but have repaired a few other electronic devices. I think there are a few threads here already about screen replacements.

OP
C

cobrasteve

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT 1080M
ok, thanks!! I guess it's worth a shot...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There was a thread just recently where a member was able to gain access with his PC and remote control the phone in order to pull off data. I don't remember exactly what the circumstances but I'll look for it and post a link.

avelinocneto

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Recently, I recovered my data from galaxy s3 i9300 with broken LCD and digitalizer using the AirDroid APP, I was previously registered with my email and when I tried to connect using web.AirDroid.com the service was auto started on the phone without unlock or touch it.

blyngen1

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
A guy at work had the same issue and I through a different assembly on and he then but other his data to his new phone. He then gave me his old one so I can throw Ubuntu touch on to use for developing