Difficulty updating firmware

stgeorge

Reaction score
Hello-

I've got a Droid4 / VZW that recently received notice of this bugfix firmware pushed out OTA. The existing firmware is 98.72.18.XT894.Verizon.en.US and I've been attempting to update it to 98.72.189.XT894.Verizon.en.US *but* every time I click "Download" it begins to download but then fails (says that it cannot properly validate the file).

My phone is rooted and I have backed it up fully with Titanium - I also have SuperuserSU and the Voodoo keeproot software on the phone.

When I called VZW about this issue, they escalated it up to level 2 and that person then contacted someone at Motorola who basically told me that because my phone was rooted they would not be able to help.

The phone continues to post up the nag screen saying that I need to update the firmware, do I want to download / install now or later? So I keep saying Download only to have it fail.

Backing up a bit- earlier, I didn't want to research whether this update was going to be an issue for my rooted phone, so I renamed the update.zip file to update.zip.bak (after finding that in a forum as a way to stop the nag screen- but it didn't- and now I cannot find that update.zip.bak file anymore to try to rename it back to update.zip if it even still exists on the phone).

I guess I need to either figure out how to get the update file onto the phone and execute it (now that I've backed up the phone and prepared the phone to keep root) *or* I need to freeze the updater app that is giving me this nag screen and be done with it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

normnospam

Reaction score
Hello-

I've got a Droid4 / VZW that recently received notice of this bugfix firmware pushed out OTA. The existing firmware is 98.72.18.XT894.Verizon.en.US and I've been attempting to update it to 98.72.189.XT894.Verizon.en.US *but* every time I click "Download" it begins to download but then fails (says that it cannot properly validate the file).

My phone is rooted and I have backed it up fully with Titanium - I also have SuperuserSU and the Voodoo keeproot software on the phone.

When I called VZW about this issue, they escalated it up to level 2 and that person then contacted someone at Motorola who basically told me that because my phone was rooted they would not be able to help.

The phone continues to post up the nag screen saying that I need to update the firmware, do I want to download / install now or later? So I keep saying Download only to have it fail.

Backing up a bit- earlier, I didn't want to research whether this update was going to be an issue for my rooted phone, so I renamed the update.zip file to update.zip.bak (after finding that in a forum as a way to stop the nag screen- but it didn't- and now I cannot find that update.zip.bak file anymore to try to rename it back to update.zip if it even still exists on the phone).

I guess I need to either figure out how to get the update file onto the phone and execute it (now that I've backed up the phone and prepared the phone to keep root) *or* I need to freeze the updater app that is giving me this nag screen and be done with it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

normnospam

Reaction score
Greetings,
did you try updating over wi-fi? Mine would not update unless I used wi-fi.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry to hear about your update troubles. Obviously you do not want this update to go through while you are still rooted as it will break root and could possibly soft brick your device. Also, never contact Vzw or manufacturer customer support with a problem on a rooted device. Remember that when you root your device, you automatically assumed any and all responsibility of that device and any issues that will inevitably go along with rooting.
Have you frozen FWUpgrade and SDM via Titanium Backup? That should get rid of any updates that may try to get pushed to your device.
In the future, If you want an update via OTA, your best bet is to return to stock, take the update and reroot. (That is IF a new root method is available for that particular OS version)
Hang in there and hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of this particular device can give you a hand.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n