Dinc2 can't get to Google Apps

jim1021

Reaction score
I just activated this used HTC Dinc2 phone with PagePlus. It seems to work great but I can't get to Market. This is no fault of PagePlus. When I click on Market, I get an error with no specifics. This phone's software is at 2.2.1 and I'd also like to upgrade it. I guess the biggest problem is that I can't bring in any apps.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you are wanting to upgrade to a JB ROM you will have to root the phone. That should also take care of the problem with the play store.

Now the play store issue. Does the app still say "android market" or "play store"? The android market is the older version and possibly why it isn't working. If this is the case, on your phone search for play store apk. Download and install that and see if that helps you. Return with anymore questions. Good luck!

OP
J

jim1021

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions but still get the error. I found com.android.vending -4.1.6 apk and attempted to install it. It acts the same as when I click on Market. When the TOS comes up I get the error: "Attention: An error has occurred. Please try again later"

I then tried downloading com.android.vending- 3.10.10 apk and got the same error again when TOS came up. I never have the opportunity to accept the TOS.

jim1021

comk4ver

Reaction score
Did you try to swipe the cache/data from the apps menu first? Then doing the install?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
J

jim1021

Reaction score
Comk4ver, No I didn't clear the cashe first. Which app would that be? I don't see one called com.android.vending.

OP
J

jim1021

Reaction score
I just went into my browser and cleared the cashe and cooklies and history. That had no effect on my problem. I noticed though, that I can not manually enter a URL to take me to http://play.google.com. If I can't get there, I can't bring in the apk I need.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Good luck.

Go to the application menu from the settings menu then go to all instead of downloaded or running then find Google play store. Then click on it then delete the cache and data then force close the app now reboot and try installing the new version. Otherwise check out a new rom with your particular carrier.
Also try clearing the Google framework app also in the all applications section.
a5e6anez.jpg

OP
J

jim1021

Reaction score
Finally success!!! I did a factory reset and went through the initializing again. I now have Google Play and Market is gone. However my phone software is still at
level 2.2.1, which is seems rather downlevel for a Dinc2. My old Dinc is at 2.3.4. How do I get the Dinc2 updated? I don't have Verizon service but rather PagePlus.

Later.....

I did some more research on the updating of Dinc2 and I guess rooting is my only option. I'll just use it as is and hope for the best. It has a problem of not charging and I have to remove the battery to get it charged. I might just look for another Dinc2 but for right now I'll use this one. Thanks for the help guys. It's fun learning about these phones.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Get a spare charger and battery. That way you just switch out the batteries. It's cheaper than fixing the charge port or buying a new phone. I'd get two extra because while one charges and one is in use you still have one more on standby, you drain batteries faster than you can charge. Unless you look up on YouTube and have the tools to fix the phone.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
A charging port is $4-10 with free shipping on eBay. I replaced the one in my sisters in about 15 minutes from start to finish. Worked like a charm. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to do it. Either way happy to hear you got your original problem worked out. Good luck!