Don't like this new feature when typing - Can it be disabled?

Rocky

Reaction score
Hello there, guys.

I was wondering if any of you know how to disable a typing new feature that I've only seen on the D2, not the D1. It goes like this:

Whatever it is I'm typing (i.e., entering a new contact's name, making a note, composing a text) I get this annoying "help" from the phone, which consists of automatically moving back certain special characters that I type one space after the last letter.

For instance, if I wanna type as a contact name "Sean - Leader", as I press the "-" character one space after "Sean", the phone automatically joins the "-" with "Sean", so it makes this: "Sean-".

If I go back and separate manually the dash from the last letter, it accepts my decision, but it won't stop doing it by default.

Is there any way I can disable this new feature? It's very annoying to me, especially if I'm typing in a hurry. :icon_evil:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is one of my only gripes about the d2 and I think the only fix is turnin off auto correct which sucks.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
This is one of my only gripes about the d2 and I think the only fix is turnin off auto correct which sucks.

Hello, Spaz.

I actually have Auto Correct turned off both in the device and on-screen keyboards (I mean the check boxes are unchecked) and still get that problem.

Have you actually managed to avoid what I'm trying to avoid?

Regards

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually no. I have been contending with this issue since day one. I know we brought it up a while ago and I don't think we ever found a fix.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Actually no. I have been contending with this issue since day one. I know we brought it up a while ago and I don't think we ever found a fix.

Hi.

I thought so. Maybe rooting it and installing another keyboard program or something.

Hope somebody knows about and shares a solution to this.

Regards +

born2golf

Reaction score
Have you tried swiftkey? it is an awesome keyboard replacement app. I just tested your issue while typing a txt message in handcent, and I did not experience your symptoms.

I would highly recommend swiftkey regardless. The word prediction is really unbelievable. And, it remembers what you typically type, so in many cases I can type a whole sentence by just choosing the recommended works it offers (rather than typing the whole message). And they dropped the price to $1.99 for today.

SparkleBunny

Reaction score
I never could get the multi-touch keyboard to stop doing that. I'm using the Vlingo keyboard, which is almost identical but doesn't have that problem.

leakim13

Reaction score
Why would there be symbols in peoples names to begin with? If they are in my phone they are full babe or not at all... "sarah - tramp stamp blonde from (insert bar name here) stopped when i first moves to smart phones lol

Sent from the Great North Woods

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Have you tried swiftkey? it is an awesome keyboard replacement app. I just tested your issue while typing a txt message in handcent, and I did not experience your symptoms.
Hi, Born2Golf.

I assume you just test-typed with swiftkey; that's why... right?

A replacement keyboard app might be what'll cut it for me. I guess I'll look around for one.

I would highly recommend swiftkey regardless. The word prediction is really unbelievable. And, it remembers what you typically type, so in many cases I can type a whole sentence by just choosing the recommended works it offers (rather than typing the whole message). And they dropped the price to $1.99 for today.
Thanks for the recommendation. I type in spanish a lot, so I don't know if it'll work for me. I will consider it, though.

Regards

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I never could get the multi-touch keyboard to stop doing that. I'm using the Vlingo keyboard, which is almost identical but doesn't have that problem.
Hi, SparkleBunny.

All I found on the Market under "Vlingo" was Vlingo: Words to Action. Is that it?

Regards

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Why would there be symbols in peoples names to begin with? If they are in my phone they are full babe or not at all... "sarah - tramp stamp blonde from (insert bar name here) stopped when i first moves to smart phones lol

Sent from the Great North Woods
Hi, Leakim.

Even while texting, when I wanna quote something, it messes up my quotes. Not cool.

On my Contacs (most of them customers) I use the dash as tags, to more easily remember where they work, live, etc.

Regards

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

Hi,

Almost 4 months later did I install Swiftkey (actually a minute ago). I'm keeping it. It doesn't have that little "help" the stock keyboard offers. That's a big relief for me.

Just came back to thank you whether you see this or not.

Regards,
Rocky

kota

Reaction score
does this remove the "help" when using the physical keyboard too??

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
does this remove the "help" when using the physical keyboard too??
Hello,

Yes, on the physical keyboard it overrides that Android "helping hand", but not always. For instance, if I'm typing: "Where are you going", then press a space, and then press the question mark, it WILL automatically attach it to "going".

So that's cool. It does the same thing with the exclamation mark, and I suppose with other symbols of that kind. HOWEVER, other symbols, such as "$," it WON'T attach them to the last word (which I suppose is good and won't mess up the writing).

But the reason I'm not gonna buy that keyboard is simply because it lacks the D2G stock keyboard feature of highlighting unknown or mispelled words. (I'd rather struggle with the symbols than send mispelled txts, especially to my customers and a cute girl-friend of mine (the dash meaning, of course, she's my friend only... for now at least).

Rocky

P.S. I may've worn diapers while you were already kicking butt at games, but I was hard to beat at Street Fighter I, II and III. You didn't wanna mess with me. :icon_ banana:

kota

Reaction score
K.o.t.A means King of the Arcade, not a title I take lightly