Droid 2 Call Quality

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I have been following these forums since I got my Droid 2 August 17th to learn more about it and see what other people's experiences were. For a quick background, I'm a first time Droid and smartphone owner. Well, technically I had a BB Pearl, but without a data plan so I used it for voice and text only. I always wanted an Android phone my last one was dying, so I switched to Verizon and got a Droid 2 because of the physical keyboard.

I've had the phone for a while now and I really like a lot of things about it. Most of it is just the whole being new to smartphones and being able to do so much with just a phone. The apps are great, I use Google Maps/Navigator extensively, and I really do enjoy the physical keyboard over the touchscreen one.

My only issue with it is call quality and sometime signal reception. All of my calls seems to be very poor. I tend to hear a constant background hiss/static and often times it's dropping words (audio cutting out) in both directions (I've gotten complaints from the people I call/answer, in addition the experience on my end). I also encounter the random drops to 1X from 3G in places I don't usually expect it, but I'm also not too familiar with the Verizon coverage area.

I just don't know if this is what I should expect with smartphones. Should the call quality be less than crystal clear? I would think if my data connection is decent, then so should my voice. Also, what is an acceptable range of signal strength in dBm for a cell phone. Obviously I'm not radiating 5W peak power, but should -79dBm to -90dBm be all right?

I'm considerring sqitching to an Incredible or Droad X. I really preder the physical kb and I am not a fan of the size of the Droid X (how does anyone feel comfortable with that beheamoth in your front pocket?), but if I can't use the phone as a phone, I may want to switch before my 30 days is up. Thanks for listening to my rant, now I'm intersted in yours.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Reception problems are known about on the Droid 2.

I called customer service to complain and they did acknowledge that there is a problem.

The rep I talked to said there are some areas that were mostly Alltel are having more problems than others.

He did something to block some type of signal having to do with Alltel coming to my phone and had me do the PRL update again. I've only dropped 1 call since that time, though I also know I missed at least 3 calls with no acknowledgment by the phone.

mindytyson3

Reaction score
VirtualCLD-I am also a first time user for the D2. I also had the blackberry pearl and loved it but the trackball would stick from time to time but thats about it. I had a data package on mine so was use to getting emails and surfing the net from time to time but not much.

I hadn't had any problems with calls though but I have to go to a certain small town for work and its always had problems with calls incoming and outgoing. But that is normal for that small town. Its in a hole...ha.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Dial *228 and select option 2.

I have no reception problems with my droid 2.

OP
V

VirtualCLD

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the quality still is not great, but maybe I'm being too picky? In any event, I like the phone enough that I'm willing to stick it out for a year (contact length) and see what happens.

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the quality still is not great, but maybe I'm being too picky? In any event, I like the phone enough that I'm willing to stick it out for a year (contact length) and see what happens.

I have a Droid 2, and the reception on it is much better than when I had an Incredible, and Droid 1. If you are truly having trouble with call quality I would take it in. As far as bars, it's digital, so essentially you have signal, or you don't have signal, the bars are very deceiving.

belome

Reaction score
I have the same issues... and mostly in Alltel areas (mid michigan)

I can have full 3G bars, try to make a call and it drops to no bars... I hit end call and it immediatly jumps up to full 3g bars again.

I miss tons of calls... poeple hit my VM all the time.

I'm pretty disgusted by it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Call quality on the Droid 2 was noticeably improved over the call quality on Droid 1, which wasn't bad to start with.

DeniseSays

Reaction score
I went from a BB to the Droid2 and the call reception is terrible comparatively. It's static-y and just..bad. And the beep to alert you to an email or text while you're on the phone is super loud [especially when the phone is, naturally, up to your ear]

travelingfool

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 2 for almost a month now. I've driven coast to coast multiple times on different routes, and I've experienced zero call and signal problems. My signal is at least as strong as on my two Blackberry's, the call quality is excellent, it never fights between 3G and 1X, etc. I am extremely pleased with everything about this phone. (With the exception that it doesn't play nice with one of my bluetooth headsets: it keeps it not only paired, but connected, and sucks the headset's battery down in no time because it wont put it in standby)

MrKleen

Reaction score
I agree with Hookbill. The call quality on my Droid 1 was always an issue, but is much improved on my new D2.

Try this... but don't mess around with anything else in this menu or you can screw up your phone.

Go to your dialer and type in ##program (##7764726) then hit the call button.

It will pull up a box that says enter spc password. Enter 000000 then verify.

You will then see a bunch of options but don't go into any of them except option 04 (Vocoder). Inside Vocoder you will see 3 options and the one that is preset is EVRC. Switch it to EVRC-B and hit apply. Then back out... and your phone will restart.

You can look this up if you question this process and would like to know the technical details. It was something many of us did when running out D1's and it did help out my call quality on that phone.

I have not had problems with my new D2, but I just made this change myself.

Let us know if this helps in any way.