Droid 4 constant reboot, power button doesn't work!? WTH!?!

EdVal

Reaction score
I been reading and people said to clear the cache on apps...did that...still same

Then they said to do a factory reset...so I deleted all my good stuff and did that...SAME DAMN ISSUE

I press the power button to make it 'sleep' and nothing...if I press it again....it reboots completely. I can't get it to sleep...wtf just happened to my phone???

I even tried the 'cold reboot' with the volume down and power button....nope same issue.

Please help I want to smash this phone right now

OP
EdVal

EdVal

Reaction score
Well after getting pissed I did the power button and down volume like 3 times in a row and it looks like it fixed it! HAHA!!!

Sucks that I erased all my things for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilvred

Reaction score
Hi,
I think I'm having the same problem - my phone turns on, then about 30 seconds later, the screen goes dark and it's powering up again. Then 30 seconds later, the same thing. Over and over and over.... It doesn't stay on long enough for me to clear the cache or do anything.
I let it power down completely (drained the battery), turned it off, and charged it, but it's still doing the same thing.
So do I press the power + volume down button while it's off? I don't want to accidentally do a factory reset and lose everything on my phone... Oh, and I can't connect mobile network, just wifi.
So frustrated!!

OP
EdVal

EdVal

Reaction score
Hi,
I think I'm having the same problem - my phone turns on, then about 30 seconds later, the screen goes dark and it's powering up again. Then 30 seconds later, the same thing. Over and over and over.... It doesn't stay on long enough for me to clear the cache or do anything.
I let it power down completely (drained the battery), turned it off, and charged it, but it's still doing the same thing.
So do I press the power + volume down button while it's off? I don't want to accidentally do a factory reset and lose everything on my phone... Oh, and I can't connect mobile network, just wifi.
So frustrated!!

While it was on I did the power button and down volume and just held it...then it reboots...then I did it again.....rebooted...AND I DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!! LOL That fixed it for some reason.

But the factory reset may help yours as yours seems far worse. Mine only powered off if I touched the power button more than once......sometimes with emails.

ilvred

Reaction score
thanks, i'll try that!
and if it doesn't work, i'll throw it against a wall or something...

OP
EdVal

EdVal

Reaction score
Just keep doing it....it worked for me

But yours is just rebooting over and over...mine was when I did things or pushed buttons.

I would honestly do a factory reset...you lose your apps....and their settings but it's that or smash the phone......or pay deductible for refurbished one? hmmm think about it. THat is why I went factory reset when all I needed to do was this! UGH

ilvred

Reaction score
okay, how do i do a factory reset???
thanks for your help!

OP
EdVal

EdVal

Reaction score
On the home screen hit the soft stripe button next to the home button.....hit SYSTEM SETTINGS then go to PRIVACY...then go to FACTORY RESET DATA

OP
EdVal

EdVal

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes....I was sweating cuz I was so frustrated and flung the phone on a table when it rebooted lol

ilvred

Reaction score
will do - i'll have to try it tomorrow. i let the battery drain completely so i'll let it charge up overnight.

ilvred

Reaction score
hello~
so the Droid 4 is dead. i took it to verizon, we did the factory reset, and now it won't even turn on. they are sending me a replacement phone. apparently i signed up for extended warranty so there is no charge. in the meantime, i had my old Droid 2 (R2D2 version) reactivated. it has a cracked screen, but i can live with that for a few days!
thanks again for your help!
:eek:)

bofis

Reaction score
Sounds like you were having a hardware issue with your power button itself. In that when you pressed it to wake the phone, the phone read it as you were pressing and HOLDING the button down, which eventually causes a reboot. Hopefully replacing the phone solves it and they give you one without a busted power button.