Droid 4: the " In-call unresponsive dialpad issue "

cs3

Reaction score
For the past several weeks Ive been experiencing a rather infuriating problem with my virtual dial pad during phone calls on my Droid 4.
Normally, while in the middle of a call you can remove the phone from your ear, enter numbers via the touch screen dial pad, all the while while keeping the screen functional.
For example when you call your voice mail... dial, listen for prompt, pull phone away from ear to enter PIN, resume listening.
Or when you call your credit card company for whatever reason... dial, listen for prompt, pull phone from ear to enter last 4 digits of credit card #, resume listening to automated menu selections, etc.

But now whenever I try to enter a PIN, or for any reason touch the dial pad in the middle of a call, the screen just turns off immediately at first touch and makes it completely unresponsive.
It acts like I have the phone up to my ear, with the touchscreen disabled. Completely maddening.
I now have to switch to speaker phone every single time I call my voice mail, credit co., bank, etc and then switch back once im done punching in numbers on the virtual dial pad.
(well actually i have to use speaker phone for EVERYTHING at the moment, bu thats another issue:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-speaker-malfunctioning-covered-warranty.html )

Doesnt seem likely, but could the ear speaker and the dial pad possibly be related?
And could the dial pad problem be related to the well known issue with the mechanical keyboard illumination randomly turning off/on even when lighting remains constant and the sensors are NOT blocked? It seems like the sensors in this phone are terribly unreliable.

So a couple questions:
1. How many other people experience this problem?
2. Is there a known fix?
3. Does the ICS update resolve this issue? (im still stuck with GB 2.3.6)

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
nobody else has experienced this problem?

kwyrt

Reaction score
I have had this problem on occasion. Realized it was an issue where when I was typing in numbers on the virtual keypad, like for voicemail password, my finger, or hand, or something was getting to close to the sensor that is meant to detect when you have the phone to your ear. Now that I figured that out, as long as I am careful I can USUALLY type my numbers in without the screen turning off.

Sent from my Infekted Droid 4

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
I see where the sensors are at, and no matter how careful I am the screen shuts off everytime. Even if I touch the * key which is as far from the sensor as you can get.
Do you also have the problem with the pull out keyboard back lighting, where its shutting off even in complete darkness?

kwyrt

Reaction score
I see where the sensors are at, and no matter how careful I am the screen shuts off everytime. Even if I touch the * key which is as far from the sensor as you can get.
Do you also have the problem with the pull out keyboard back lighting, where its shutting off even in complete darkness?

Haven't noticed the keyboard light shutting off in the dark. But I rarely use it when it's dark enough that I would notice. The one other thing you could try is the "pocket" setting. There is a setting somewhere that is supposed to allow the phone to turn the screen off when in your pocket. If you haven't already, try turning that setting off. If that doesn't help, maybe it's a faulty sensor? If you're having earpiece speaker problems you might just want to get the phone replaced anyways.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
For the past several weeks Ive been experiencing a rather infuriating problem with my virtual dial pad during phone calls on my Droid 4.
Normally, while in the middle of a call you can remove the phone from your ear, enter numbers via the touch screen dial pad, all the while while keeping the screen functional.
For example when you call your voice mail... dial, listen for prompt, pull phone away from ear to enter PIN, resume listening.
Or when you call your credit card company for whatever reason... dial, listen for prompt, pull phone from ear to enter last 4 digits of credit card #, resume listening to automated menu selections, etc.

But now whenever I try to enter a PIN, or for any reason touch the dial pad in the middle of a call, the screen just turns off immediately at first touch and makes it completely unresponsive.
It acts like I have the phone up to my ear, with the touchscreen disabled. Completely maddening.
I now have to switch to speaker phone every single time I call my voice mail, credit co., bank, etc and then switch back once im done punching in numbers on the virtual dial pad.
(well actually i have to use speaker phone for EVERYTHING at the moment, bu thats another issue:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-speaker-malfunctioning-covered-warranty.html )

Doesnt seem likely, but could the ear speaker and the dial pad possibly be related?
And could the dial pad problem be related to the well known issue with the mechanical keyboard illumination randomly turning off/on even when lighting remains constant and the sensors are NOT blocked? It seems like the sensors in this phone are terribly unreliable.

So a couple questions:
1. How many other people experience this problem?
2. Is there a known fix?
3. Does the ICS update resolve this issue? (im still stuck with GB 2.3.6)

Get a microfiber cloth for cleaning electronics and clean the top bezel where the speaker is and all of the sensors, use a fair amount of pressure but not enough to damage the internals

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2