Droid Display > Incredible Display

R1Lover

Reaction score
I have both phones and can't tell a difference with the naked eye, other then the incredible is much better for viewing and can be seen in durect sunlight whereas the droid can't.

GodDriven

Reaction score
I have both phones and can't tell a difference with the naked eye, other then the incredible is much better for viewing and can be seen in durect sunlight whereas the droid can't.

hey R1.. I see you ALOT.. I have been trying to finish root on this device for a while (2weeks).. Can you assist.. I see you can get to Koush.. Can you ask? I spoke with Paul and he needs a RUU.. A test one at that.. Also, the .iso format made for the Desire and the Legend works, but, cannot be applied to the SPL since it's not a Test Keys release..

Let me know..

BTW.. now that I am here.. I also want to say that after the time checking and working with the device.. R1 is right.. Droid-Droid Incredible .. Same thing.. Screen wise that is.. Besides the crisp and clear of AMOLED..

Mercutio

Reaction score
I also own both phones.

The INC has some pretty intense and distracting screen door effect going on with the screen. The INC screen is far inferior to the Droid screen, especially when it comes to reading text.

We're all excited to have our new phones, but let's try to keep things at least remotely honest here.

Last edited:

cuskit

Reaction score
hey R1..I see you can get to Koush.. Can you ask? I spoke with Paul and he needs a RUU.. A test one at that.. Also, the .iso format made for the Desire and the Legend works, but, cannot be applied to the SPL since it's not a Test Keys release.. Besides the crisp and clear of AMOLED..

I speak and understand the English language very well, but could someone PLEASE tell me what language is being used here? :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: mikey :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have no idea. GodDriven, you can contact koush yourself? He isn't restricted, he has an irc channel and email ;)

rushmore

Reaction score
Droid and Inc screens are like comparing LCD to plasma screens. Plasma (like Inc in picture traits) is more vivid and better contrast, but has slight screen door effect and you can see the darker dots around pixels. LCD on Droid is far smoother. The dots visible on Inc display are actually the color separation issue mentioned earlier, hence the Inc has almost 1/3 less active pixels displaying the images.

I have been comparing both devices, and will probably keep the Droid for a few reasons:

1. Droid screen looks a lot more sharper, for reasons noted above.
2. Phone reception on Droid is better than Inc. dB signal levels are about 30% better than Inc (as per the 1X Engineer page on the devices). Signal is more stable as well.
3. Game emulators are not very playable, even with Inc's very good touch sensors.
4. Flash game content will work fine with Droid, since the d-pad is mapped as arrow keys. I have 253 Flash games on my N900 and far more than not, require the arrow keys, or some hardware keys. Not many touch-only games.

added:

Though the second issue above could be an issue for some that live in low-coverage areas, the Inc is still a better device than the Droid, IF gaming is not an issue and you do not mind the less sharp display. Most will not notice, since they have not seen the Droid screen.

Last edited:

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Droid and Inc screens are like comparing LCD to plasma screens. Plasma (like Inc in picture traits) is more vivid and better contrast, but has slight screen door effect and you can see the darker dots around pixels. LCD on Droid is far smoother. The dots visible on Inc display are actually the color separation issue mentioned earlier, hence the Inc has almost 1/3 less active pixels displaying the images.

I have been comparing both devices, and will probably keep the Droid for a few reasons:

1. Droid screen looks a lot more sharper, for reasons noted above. WRONG
2. Phone reception on Droid is better than Inc. dB signal levels are about 30% better than Inc (as per the 1X Engineer page on the devices). Signal is more stable as well. WRONG

Though the second issue above could be an issue for some that live in low-coverage areas, the Inc is still a better device than the Droid, IF gaming is not an issue and you do not mind the less sharp display. Most will not notice, since they have not seen the Droid screen.

I have owned a Droid since 11/28 and i got to say i like the OLED display better. It looks better to me and many other people. Statistics aren't always the way you review things. Get some hands on experience.

Droid doesn't have any better signal than the Incredible and this does not matter on your coverage area. They both have the same signal (tested a lot) but the Incredible's bars are a little lower (which doesn't mean nothing) so there is no difference in signal and if there is its maybe by 1 db.

OP
G

gatorbait

Reaction score

I have owned a Droid since 11/28 and i got to say i like the OLED display better. It looks better to me and many other people. Statistics aren't always the way you review things. Get some hands on experience.

The Droid's screen is sharper. It's better at rendering text, has sharper edges, and the Incredible can have a bit of a screen door effect when displaying certain colors.

I've owned the Droid since 11/20. I have both of them in front of me right now. The points I've listed aren't merely opinion, they are factual and have been addressed by the CEO of the company that makes the pixel rendering matrix for the Incredible. Whether or not you like the Droid screen or Incredible screen better is a personal preference, but that doesn't discredit the fact that the Droid renders sharper text and edges.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
See, when testing & trying out these phones, do some real world tests, like what gatorbait & cplus is doing. I for one appreciate it. Like for me I can test a phone's signal/reception by trying to use it at my job. That whole area is a bad reception area.

If the Incredible's screen doesnt bother u, then u good to go. All I can say is if its like the LCD TV vs Plasma TV debates.....more fun times ahead for us Droid users....LOL!!!

Ppl do these type of tests all the time with ANY product. I like it cuz what it does it help ppl make choices based on what they are looking for. Some ppl might not care that much about the screen, some do.

Last edited:

cplus

Reaction score
here it is..

Ok here is the DROID water droplet image I finally made. This was the best I could come up with. I tried yesterday and decided I just couldn't do it with my camera... but then got up this morning more determined.

..hope this works.... ... edit: cool, it worked.

edit2: doing this was my pleasure..

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank u very much cplus. Appreciate it.

Just looking at the water drops, the Incredible should have better colors. And the pixels look uniform on the Droid. I can see that making it look sharper. They look offset/staggered on the Incredible, like how some ppl put down wood floors.

And please no one ask me any waaay techy questions, I'm no techy. :)

Last edited:

rushmore

Reaction score

2. Phone reception on Droid is better than Inc. dB signal levels are about 30% better than Inc (as per the 1X Engineer page on the devices). Signal is more stable as well. WRONG

Droid doesn't have any better signal than the Incredible and this does not matter on your coverage area. They both have the same signal (tested a lot) but the Incredible's bars are a little lower (which doesn't mean nothing) so there is no difference in signal and if there is its maybe by 1 db.

I think you are the person wrong about the "wrongs". Tech already proven about the Inc's display. Inc more vivid, but Droid is noticeably more sharp (both great displays, just depends if you prefer more vivid over more sharp). Compare them both reading text in small fonts.

Radio signal is not just me stating it and the dB level supports my view, with the very data that the refuters say to use. Bar fluctuation correlates with dB fluctuation. Ability to stream video with Youtube (same vids in same location) also correlates.

Incredible reception still blows away anything I have had with Tmo (Dash, G1 and N900-but Tmo, so apples to oranges) and is not a bad radio. Droid just has a great radio system.

BTW, I have a Droid. Droid on a new number and Inc is on the number my beloved G1 was on (transferred over). I also had a Droid in November, but had to give it back, since Tmo would not release me from $400 of contracts.

added:

Great device would be the Inc with a keyboard. I would even accept the less sharp display and less strong radio reception :) Then again, the Droid with more ram and a card slot not blocked by the battery would be great too :) :) Throw a Snappy 1ghz in it as well :)

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I don't know , to my naked eye they are both equally sharp and bright , but the colors on the incredible and especially those contrast levels and the black on a black theme is simply , well ... magical .

tliebeck

Reaction score
I don't own an Incredible yet, but do have a Droid (my daily-use phone with a plan) and Nexus One (bought only for testing Android software). I believe the Nexus One/Incredible displays are essentially the same item.

I don't personally like the pen-tile matrix. I can barely see the stippling effect on the display, but it's still present. It appears like a grain on the display. Perhaps this is just because I'm staring pretty close at a phone during development tasks, e.g., making sure things are properly lined up on screen.

As many reviewers have pointed out, the colors are over-vivid/saturated on the N1. This actually has a "neat" aspect to it, but at the same time everything looks like an episode of CSI. The Droid is much more drab by comparison, but the colors are more accurate. I've established a "rule" of sorts for my own development: never choose colors for an app based on how they appear on the AMOLED display. :)

All that said, one probably won't be disappointed with either. HTC's AMOLED's are not the best choice for direct sunlight though.