Droid gps- real or fake?

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I"ve been doing research and i can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Does the droid use a real satilite gps or a cell signal like VZ nav?

I know that google maps nav is enhanced by the internet for searches but is it dependent on the internet?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Uses both....you need cell service to dl maps. Unless you cache them.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. You get a VERY accurate GPS tracking when you have GPS enabled, but if you're Data Roaming, the phone won't be able to reroute. [This setting CAN be changed, but then you pay data roaming charges. Best advice, check the path before heading out if you're going on a long trip, and then stick to it unless you KNOW you'll have coverage.]

mikes

Reaction score
It uses aGPS and "real" GPS. Settings/location: If "Use wireless networks" is checked, it will use aGPS (and other methods); if "Use GPS satellites" is checked, it will use standalone GPS (which provides better accuracy).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It uses aGPS and "real" GPS. Settings/location: If "Use wireless networks" is checked, it will use aGPS (and other methods); if "Use GPS satellites" is checked, it will use standalone GPS (which provides better accuracy).

Thanks for adding details to my response! I personally don't have "Use GPS satellites" enabled unless I'm using Navigation or one of a very few apps that I have that require it to function best. As I'm pretty sure it states in the settings menu, it conserves battery to turn this off when not using it.

To add to YOUR response, aGPS is what the Alltell/VZW nav phones tend to use, if that helps clarify anything to the OP.

Big Cam

Reaction score
GPS is accurate to about 3-6 meters, standing outside my house with gps on it is accurate to 6.5 feet.

With it off, it places me about a mile away from my home.

it is definetaly real GPS.

mikes

Reaction score
\aGPS is what the Alltell/VZW nav phones tend to use
All US cell phones have been required by the FCC to be location capable since 2005. Sprint and T-Mobile 3G also use aGPS.

I'm pretty sure that, even when standalone GPS is turned on, the Droid makes use of aGPS when it can. By doing so, it can get almanac and ephemeris data from the local cell site, reducing time to first fix to a couple of seconds (vs. a minimum mean of 45 seconds for GPS without aGPS support).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

I know that google maps nav is enhanced by the internet for searches but is it dependent on the internet?
I'm guessing you didn't check the Droid's technical specs page first?
DROID by Motorola - Android phone - Motorola USA

sGPS is what you're asking about and it's listed under the Connectivity section. Keep in mind that the sGPS receiver and Google Maps are 2 separate things. The sGPS receiver does not need data. Google Maps does need data.

If you want to navigate without data coverage then you need to use a suitable GPS nav app.

Last edited:

Sleeve

Reaction score
BTW, GPS is only actually in use and consuming battery when the GPS icon is visible in the right group of status icons at the top of the screen. There is no real need to shut off and turn on GPS all the time unless you have certain apps that will activate the GPS on their own regardless of whether you're actively using the app, such as Locale. I use WeatherBug, and when I unlock, its widget checks where I am if it's been a few hours since it last checked my location. It doesn't activate the GPS every time I unlock. If I use a GPS-capable app, the icon appears when I start it, then disappears when I switch to another app. For a day or so, there was some buzz about the new Dolphin browser turning on GPS and leaving it on, but that seems to have been pinned down to using Google as the start page. The fact that people reacted strongly to any app that left GPS on says that we've become accustomed to apps making sparing use of the GPS ability.

Certainly, anyone who wants to shut off their GPS for any reason can do so, my comments are only to reassure the OP that this is not a requirement.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
This setting CAN be changed, but then you pay data roaming charges.

Dear blahblah,

Thank you for your email. My name is Ebony and I welcome the opportunity to assist you with your data roaming inquiry.

If data services are available to you while traveling in an Extended Network in the United States, then there are no additional charges for data usage, as it is covered under your existing data plan. The same also applies with voice calls made in the Extended Network. No additional charges will apply based on your current Nationwide calling plan.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. I hope you continue to find the “Contact Us” section of verizonwireless.com a helpful option to resolve any issue you may experience the first time you email us. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Verizon Wireless customer.

Sincerely,

Ebony
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Roaming charges only apply if you are outside the US.

Big Cam

Reaction score
BTW, GPS is only actually in use and consuming battery when the GPS icon is visible in the right group of status icons at the top of the screen. There is no real need to shut off and turn on GPS all the time unless you have certain apps that will activate the GPS on their own regardless of whether you're actively using the app, such as Locale. I use WeatherBug, and when I unlock, its widget checks where I am if it's been a few hours since it last checked my location. It doesn't activate the GPS every time I unlock. If I use a GPS-capable app, the icon appears when I start it, then disappears when I switch to another app. For a day or so, there was some buzz about the new Dolphin browser turning on GPS and leaving it on, but that seems to have been pinned down to using Google as the start page. The fact that people reacted strongly to any app that left GPS on says that we've become accustomed to apps making sparing use of the GPS ability.

Certainly, anyone who wants to shut off their GPS for any reason can do so, my comments are only to reassure the OP that this is not a requirement.
That sounds like great news, but I thought there were cases where people left it on and aftera few hours the phone said the GPS was using the majority of the battery?

I'm going to turn mine on and try today.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

sGPS is what you're asking about and it's listed under the Connectivity section. Keep in mind that the sGPS receiver and Google Maps are 2 separate things. The sGPS receiver does not need data. Google Maps does need data.

If you want to navigate without data coverage then you need to use a suitable GPS nav app.

No, you just need to cache your maps and you won't need data.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score

I do check the Droid specs. the problem is cell company's frequently want to sell theIr "fake gps" cell/ internet product as a true alternative to STANDALONE gps units.

VZ Nav and software like it are great until you're not in cell range

True story- i took a trip to the Great Lakes with VZ nav on a voyager and lost my cell/ gps signal for 2 hours near lake Michigan- NO FUN!!!!!

Last edited:

mikes

Reaction score

sGPS is what you're asking about and it's listed under the Connectivity section.
I'm guessing you haven't checked on what sGPS really is, because it's not what you think it is.

sGPS is just basically sharing one antenna between the phone and the GPS, which improves the operation of both. sGPS is not the method by which location is determined.

More here.