Droid hot on the ear: thermal or radiation?

dhinged

Reaction score
I don't like talking on my Droid for more than a few minutes at a time because my ear gets uncomfortably hot. However, I'm not sure if this is purely a thermal issue or if there is radiation involved. I've heard different things on phone radiation, but is the Droid giving off dangerous radiation to the side of my head or is it purely thermal?

UNC

Reaction score
Heat, the radiation a phone puts off is less than the amount of radiation in marble or pickled foods. Hold a pickle or some marble up to your head and see if you can "feel" the radiation.

FYI Heat is thermal radiation, but not a carcinogen.

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
Heat, the radiation a phone puts off is less than the amount of radiation in marble or pickled foods. Hold a pickle or some marble up to your head and see if you can "feel" the radiation.

FYI Heat is thermal radiation, but not a carcinogen.

What I'm asking is if the heat I'm feeling in my ear is only from thermal or if it is also from other radiation. Does anyone know?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like a personal heat issue with your ear.

I never had a problem with the phone being uncomfortably warm or hot next to my ear. Even if I use the phone for a long time it's the back of the phone that gets warm, not the earpiece or front of the phone.

UNC

Reaction score
What I'm asking is if the heat I'm feeling in my ear is only from thermal or if it is also from other radiation. Does anyone know?

I already answered you. The first thing I said was "heat".............

Heat is thermal radiation, but not a carcinogen.

mblair90

Reaction score
Technically yes there is radiation coming off the phone. There is thermal radiation coming off of everything that has mass. That combined with the conduction of heat from the phone to your ear makes your ear hot. As for the "dangerous radiation", the non-thermal radiation, I assume it's completely negligible. People find things wrong with everything nowadays, just another step in the pussification of America.