Droid Razr Maxx HD vs Droid Turbo

SNSdroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Twitter
@SNS7
Is the only difference between Droid Razr Maxx HD and the Droid Turbo the battery usage or are there more heavy duty differences as well? I am thinking about trading in my Maxx HD for a Turbo. I got three contracts up in my family and three upgrades with contracts. I haven't been on this site for a while and have had problems with my logon. I'm up and running and need some professional advice on the differences. I also use my droid for surfing the internet more than in the past as well as the camera. My Droid Razr Maxx HD has been outstanding. But if there are some serious advantages for a change, please let me know. Thank you most gratefully for your time and effort! :D

turbodave

Reaction score
I have the same dilemma. Although I'm torn on which to upgrade to. My choices are the Droid Turbo, or Iphone 6.

The only reason I'm thinking of the Iphone 6 is because everybody else in my family are on Iphones and Ipads.

Help!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There are a bunch of new phones coming down the pike. If you have time, wait to see what March brings.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is the only difference between Droid Razr Maxx HD and the Droid Turbo the battery usage or are there more heavy duty differences as well? I am thinking about trading in my Maxx HD for a Turbo. I got three contracts up in my family and three upgrades with contracts. I haven't been on this site for a while and have had problems with my logon. I'm up and running and need some professional advice on the differences. I also use my droid for surfing the internet more than in the past as well as the camera. My Droid Razr Maxx HD has been outstanding. But if there are some serious advantages for a change, please let me know. Thank you most gratefully for your time and effort! :D

Since I didn't experience the RAZR Maxx HD specifically I can't give you a direct comparison. I did own the RAZR Maxx a while ago, and then the Droid Maxx just prior to getting the Turbo. Given the significant upgrade from the RAZR Maxx that the Droid Maxx was, and then the substantial upgrade that the Turbo was from the Droid Maxx I'd say in all likelihood you'll find the Droid Turbo to be a major to monumental improvement in performance, responsiveness image quality, battery longevity, speed of recharge, and with Active Display an impressive overall increase in the user experience.

I've only played with the iPhone 6 briefly and although it is beautiful and performance was flawless and responsiveness immediate, it was virtually no improvement in user experience for me from the 5 and 4. The major differences between the two would have to be the incredible flexibility in customization that you've grown to know with Android, or perhaps better said the limited and regimented GUI that iPhone provides.

This alone is enough for me to not want an iPhone, but add to that the lack of need to use iTunes and there is no comparison. ITunes feels to me like being in solitary confinement. The Apple app store is another major difference. That portal is designed with one primary purpose in mind...revenue. The Google Play Store, although also a retail app portal is however far less about revenue and far more about freedom to develop. There is nearly every possible software app you could ask for in both free and paid variations. Free being my first choice makes the Play Store a far more inviting portal that the Apple App Store.

I'm sure others will have an opinion here but if only between the iPhone 6 and Droid Turbo, IMHO there is no battle. The Turbo can do anything the iPhone can do at least as good, plus has another completely exclusive realm when compared to iPhone... Individual choice. My Turbo is MY Turbo, completely different from every other Turbo out there and I can make it a new phone any time if I want to. The iPhone 6 in his hand is the same iPhone 6 in hers and his and his and hers and theirs, etc.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

turbodave

Reaction score
The only reason I've considered the iPhone 6 is because the rest of my family use I phones, and like to use face time all the time. Face time is like Skype but better.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The only reason I've considered the iPhone 6 is because the rest of my family use I phones, and like to use face time all the time. Face time is like Skype but better.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.
@turbodave , I hear you and that is an unfortunate shortfall of the entire genre of Apple...engineered exclusivity. I'm sure that if facetime were available for Android it would carve out a significant portion of the Apple iPhone marketplace. Same holds true ironically if iTunes could run on Android. In fact, if Android could run iOS as a shell or at least a runtime it would have IMHO a dramatic impact on the iPhone market share.

It is this engineered exclusivity that I despise the most. I can't stand the fact that you have countless tens of thousands of accessories for iPhone that are engineered to work only with iPhone simply because iPhone used and still uses a custom interface where the entire rest of the cellular world and tablet world (except for book store tablets), use the industry standard MicroUSB.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

JDH

Reaction score
My iTunes work just fine on my turbo as it did on the RAZR maxx. The music and the graphics. No issues.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have looked and yes, there are android apps that will play nicely with itunes, but I don't see Apple's very own iTunes app in the Google Play Store. Perhaps I'm just not seeing it. Can you provide a link?

JDH

Reaction score
All I do is copy all my iTunes and load them on phone. Play them with google music. But all the album info and graphics ate displayed
Have never tried to buy through phone but have on my laptop win 7 premium.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't say that Turbo couldn't play MP3s or AAC files from iTunes, but what I was saying is that Apple's entire genre and architecture is designed to be exclusive to all other forms. Apple doesn't have an iTunes app for Android. In other words, they could care less if Android phones can communicate nicely with Apple - the issue with FaceTime being the case in point but iTunes was another angle I was drawing comparison with.

JDH

Reaction score
Remember when Sony had that same old "we don't play well with others attitude" ?
The are eager to play with any and everyone now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, Betamax is gone, even though it was actually the better format. It did hang on for quite a while among the professional videographers but eventually succumbed to the pressures. On the other hand, I think that Apple has such a stronghold on the cellphone/tablet market that they're being allowed to continue down that path simply because they're held in such high regard by so many. In other words, I don't see Apple going the way of Sony any time soon.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
My experiance I went back to the G3 from the Turbo, but the Turbo was a big upgrade from the Razr Maxx HD. (You are talking Razr Maxx HD and not Droid Maxx, right? Razr Maxx HD came out in 2012.) BIG difference between the two devices! My Razr Maxx HD was laggy and I kept having to perform an FDR once a month. The Turbo ran fast and worked well, but I found that I missed the G3 also I had problems surfing and talking the same time on the Turbo, so I went back to the G3 and I'm back to being happy.

I also tried the iPhone 6 for a time, but had the same problems talking and surfing and also had problems connecting to the iPHone's hotspot with a none iOS device.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
yeah, the ITunes thing (and copy limits they have, or used to) was a path I made a point to avoid so I wouldn't get locked into an ecosystem.

OP
SNSdroid

SNSdroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Twitter
@SNS7
I have a Droid Turbo coming Monday with 64 GB. I appreciate and respect all of your posts. The iPhone 6 is great for people who want simplicity. Like my wife. Never tried a galaxy so I cannot judge them. I like the android because it seems you can have a variety of apps and it's open for code manipulation. I am a retired Systems/Bus.Application Programmer. My platform dealt with IBM mainframe and iSeries. I have MS Studio Professional. I suppose this is useless regarding droid programming? I did java from the I series to PC retrieving datasets. It seemed simple to me. Can I do anything with MS Studio Professional or do I have to download Suns Java user interface? I really don't know much about Droid Application development. Could somebody tell me the tools and language for application development? I thank you for your time and advice most gratefully.