Droid X2 2.3.4 OTA update does NOT install on my phone

litetaker

Reaction score
Hello,

EDIT: Problem Solved! I SBFed, whatever that means, to 2.3.4.

Today, when I checked for software updates in the settings page of my Motorola Droid X2, it said the 1.3.380.en.US is ready to be applied. I downloaded it and clicked on install once download finished.

The phone reboots, shows the logo and the progress bar for installing the update and then shows an exclamatory mark. The progress bar also stops. Then the stupid phone reboots and when I unlock it, it says the update has failed.

This is unacceptable from a smartphone and I am already **bleep**. Firstly, the phone has 10's of issues (music stutters, etc.) and many people complained about it. And Motorola releases this update that is supposed to fix those issues. And now, the update does NOT even install. Why? Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Or is anyone else facing this issue? Do I have a bad phone and should I replace it?

NOTE: I previously rooted the phone using Pete's Motorola Tools. I did nothing but freeze a few apps using a market app. I then unfroze all the apps. I uninstalled that market app and I unrooted the phone using Pete's Motorola tools. The tool again unfroze some apps, (o_O).. Anyway, currently I am unrooted for all practical purposes. However, did rooting it cause a problem?

Please help!

A very very frustrated Droid X2 owner.

Last edited:

tommyg562000

Reaction score
It's completely possible that root (or anything you did with root access) messed something up. I would just sbf and then install the update. It's going to be a lot less hassle to do that than trying to figure out the problem.

Also, I'm rooted but I've just been ignoring the update as my phone runs great, I must have got one from a good batch :)
Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
Oh, I envy your luck... :)

Could you please tell me (i.e. point to a forum ) that explains how to sbf? I heard that a lot of times and tried to look it up but I never really figured out how to do it, and I'm a total newcomer to android..

Thank you.

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Oh, I envy your luck... :)

Could you please tell me (i.e. point to a forum ) that explains how to sbf? I heard that a lot of times and tried to look it up but I never really figured out how to do it, and I'm a total newcomer to android..

Thank you.

Try out the XDA site: [updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers. I was exactly in your same possition. (not knowing 'how to') This site and other member on this site has helped me alot. Hope this helps! :)

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
@Trip3601211 In the last ditch effort, I am directly upgrading to the SBF 2.3.4 for Droid X2 that is present in the page you mentioned. Is it the same as the OTA update?

I really want this phone to be usable. I love the hardware, but I just hate Motorola's crapware! And it is a brilliant phone that is only let down by Motorola's half baked, bug-ridden updates... :(

I really wished to do the OTA update properly, with a lot of eager anticipation. I hope what I am doing (i.e. SBFing to 2.3.4) is (a) safe and (b) equivalent to updating OTA.

- Worried and frustrated X2 user.

Update: Yeah, I updated to 2.3.4 via the SBF file and it seems to be working fine. The System Updates button under Settings>About Phone is still disabled! :icon_eek: And I have a small triangle next to the phone signal strength in the notification bar that I never had before! Yikes!

Can you please solve these two new problems, i.e. why the System Updates button is disabled and the triangle in the notification bar? And so now that the system update button is disabled, does it mean I can not update any further, say if Motorola releases Ice Cream Sandwich later? :icon_eek:

By the way, what is the full form of SBF and what does it mean?

EDIT: I think I know what the triangle next to the phone signal bars are. I think my 3G data is screwed. I am unable to use 3G now!!! Does anyone know a fix for this?

Nevermind. A factory restore did the trick.

Screw you motorola, you shouldn't make life so miserable to an ordinary customer like this...

Thanks @Trip3601211 AND @tommyg562000for your valuable help!!! dancedroid:)

Last edited:

03civicdx

Reaction score
@Trip3601211 In the last ditch effort, I am directly upgrading to the SBF 2.3.4 for Droid X2 that is present in the page you mentioned. Is it the same as the OTA update?

I really want this phone to be usable. I love the hardware, but I just hate Motorola's crapware! And it is a brilliant phone that is only let down by Motorola's half baked, bug-ridden updates... :(

I really wished to do the OTA update properly, with a lot of eager anticipation. I hope what I am doing (i.e. SBFing to 2.3.4) is (a) safe and (b) equivalent to updating OTA.

- Worried and frustrated X2 user.

Update: Yeah, I updated to 2.3.4 via the SBF file and it seems to be working fine. The System Updates button under Settings>About Phone is still disabled! :icon_eek: And I have a small triangle next to the phone signal strength in the notification bar that I never had before! Yikes!

Can you please solve these two new problems, i.e. why the System Updates button is disabled and the triangle in the notification bar? And so now that the system update button is disabled, does it mean I can not update any further, say if Motorola releases Ice Cream Sandwich later? :icon_eek:

By the way, what is the full form of SBF and what does it mean?

EDIT: I think I know what the triangle next to the phone signal bars are. I think my 3G data is screwed. I am unable to use 3G now!!! Does anyone know a fix for this?

Nevermind. A factory restore did the trick.

Screw you motorola, you shouldn't make life so miserable to an ordinary customer like this...

Thanks @Trip3601211 for your valuable help!!! dancedroid:)

Did you do *228 to reactivate? This is probably why the system update is disabled because it can't get online.

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
Did you do *228 to reactivate? This is probably why the system update is disabled because it can't get online.

Yes, I did a factory restore that activated my phone. Thanks for the help.

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Sorry I didnt get on here earlier to answere any questions, thanks for elaborating civic. Yes the SBF is quite a different process then just a regular OTA. Now that you, me and others are able to flash...its one step higher and closer to modifying your phone to your liking. Hope you all got what you needed and if you still have ANY questions at all, I'm awake lol and Ill be on all day to help anyone that needs it. Let's get this ball rolling! Thanks again for everyones input and questions, it helps more then ourselves, others like to know this information as well.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
All of the new gingerbread ota updates have been designed to fail if you are rooted rather than removing root. In most instances, if you rooted you have to sbf, as you did in order to take the ota. It's easier to just wait for a rooted leaked version and flash that if you are currently rooted.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Trimmer87

Reaction score
I bought my phone used and am unsure if it was rooted I did the factory reset and am having the same issue what do I do?