Duplicate Contacts

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello, Sounds like your gmail might be syncing your contacts along with backup assistant. Might want to check Menu>settings>accounts&sync>Click your gmail account>uncheck sync contacts. Hope this can help out

lerit50

Reaction score
Thanks! Gmail isn't checked. I only sync with backup assistant. It's very strange.

Weird. I suggest just transfering everything via a computer to your google account. I just logged into gmail when I first got my droid and manually typed in my 250 or so contacts. Now they're in the cloud and easily accessible.

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Backup assistant is really somethin that VZW thinks is neccesary so you wont loose your contacts but with Android and its ability to backup everything through Google the backup app really isnt needed. However any other phones that arent Google based like Android is would for sure need the app (gotta love Android tho right?). I am Rooted running Liberty Rom and i havent had Backup assistant in almost a lil over 6 months. Your Gmail account is able to backup all contacts. Aslo when you create a new contact then it should give you an option to back it up through Gmail or it will do it Automatically. Cant imagine why backup assitant is duplicating your contacts tho. Hope this problem will get resolved tho.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO syncing through Gmail is def better because Google is simple and you can access everything through your computer along with through your phone.

lerit50

Reaction score
Do you think it's better to sync via gmail than backup assistant?

Yes. If you plan on being on a smartphone from here on out it is better because even blackberrys and iphones have the ability to sync everything via google (mail, calender, contacts etc)

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android Dev's have done an amazing making android reliable and simple by incorporating Google in its design

OP
N

NJnewdroider

Reaction score
Okay, I'll give it a try. Is there a way to turn backup assistant off or do I have to have both things happen; sync via gmail and backup assistant?

OP
N

NJnewdroider

Reaction score
I checked "sync" with gmail contacts and then chose "sync" now. Went into google contacts and noting's there. I feel foolish, but did I do something wrong? Thanks again for all of your help!

lerit50

Reaction score
I checked "sync" with gmail contacts and then chose "sync" now. Went into google contacts and noting's there. I feel foolish, but did I do something wrong? Thanks again for all of your help!

You also have to wait for it to sync.

Are all your contacts synced with google?

lerit50

Reaction score
On my phone, it says the contacts were synched. In google, it's empty.

that's because all your contacts would need to be manually transferred over. backup assistant won't sync contacts to google, so you need to do that part yourself, but it is worth it in my opinion.