DVD Catalyst

D

dvdcatalyst

I've searched and searched incessantly for the last...30 seconds or so;

I like to rip or download tv shows and watch them on my lunch hour. When i used dvdcatalyst to rip psych recently (my first attempt at tv and not movies with the software) i ended up with doubles and triples of the same show. With a disk that had 5 episodes on it, i ended up with 12 ripped episodes, all exactly the same. used the same settings as i would use for a movie. My question is: is there any way to avoid multiples? I have not tried it again so i don't know if my results are atypical.

ps. great product, and with anydvd it's just about perfect.

You probably added devices

have a look here:

DVD Catalyst 3 Multi-Device Conversions | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

just use delete device rather than add device.

Spyte

Reaction score
rechecked my settings, no multiple devices. rechecked the output files; out of 11 total ripped files:

1,2,3 are the same show
4 is unique
5 is unique
6 is 4&5 combined one after the other
7,8 are the same show
9 is 7&10 combined one after the other
10,11 are the same show.

D

dvdcatalyst

rechecked my settings, no multiple devices. rechecked the output files; out of 11 total ripped files:

1,2,3 are the same show
4 is unique
5 is unique
6 is 4&5 combined one after the other
7,8 are the same show
9 is 7&10 combined one after the other
10,11 are the same show.

It's not something DVD Catalyst does by itself. DVD Catalyst just finds tracks reported by the DVD, and makes them available for conversion. Unlike similar programs, in which it will just pick the longest track, DVD Catalyst is designed to pick TV episodes as well as movies, so you can convert all the episodes on a tv DVD with a single click. Some movies (like the one you have here I guess) have a bunch of additional tracks for special features or have additional tracks to trick the converter. I can tell you that the DVD you have here is one of very few that has such a structure.

For most movies, just the movie track shows up, and maybe a special feature.
for TV DVDs, all the episodes show up.

rebel43

Reaction score
DVD Ejecting

I purchased DVDCatalyst on Sunday but when I tried to convert "A River Runs Through It" the program would get to the point where it stated conversion started and then the DVD would eject and the screen would be on the directory where the file was supposed to be saved. The second DVD I tried did the same thing. I finally got it to convert by trying it over and over. The finished product was great but has anyone else experienced this problem?

D

dvdcatalyst

I purchased DVDCatalyst on Sunday but when I tried to convert "A River Runs Through It" the program would get to the point where it stated conversion started and then the DVD would eject and the screen would be on the directory where the file was supposed to be saved. The second DVD I tried did the same thing. I finally got it to convert by trying it over and over. The finished product was great but has anyone else experienced this problem?

From what it sounds like, especially with that after a couple of times you did manage to get it converted, is that something is conflicting with the conversion. It could be some DVD software or burning software running in the background that tries to "help" whenever a DVD is inserted.

Try booting your computer in safe-mode and see if the conversion runs easier then. If it does, some program in your startup (next to your clock) is causing some issues.

A river.. should convert without any issues.

rebel43

Reaction score
DVD Ejecting TY

Thank you for the fast reply. Windows Media Player starts automatically when I insert the DVD but I am pretty sure I closed that out. I will keep working with it when I get back home. I will say that I had tried a few other program when I had my BB Curve and they were all difficult to use. As long as I can solve this eject problem I will be very happy with your program. Kingdom of Heaven converted in about 25 minutes so I am ready for the next NC to California flight. Should I be using the Droid or Droid HD conversion settings?

D

dvdcatalyst

Thank you for the fast reply. Windows Media Player starts automatically when I insert the DVD but I am pretty sure I closed that out. I will keep working with it when I get back home. I will say that I had tried a few other program when I had my BB Curve and they were all difficult to use. As long as I can solve this eject problem I will be very happy with your program. Kingdom of Heaven converted in about 25 minutes so I am ready for the next NC to California flight. Should I be using the Droid or Droid HD conversion settings?

You are welcome,
Sending me an email is easier, but I have a few threads that I am subscribed to that notify me, and of course I check the forums (when I am awake) every other hour or so.

Anyway, there are a few things that could cause the behavior, but those usually result in partial conversions, so it is something else that could be causing it.
You can try turning off cropping (global settings > borders) and see if that helps. I ran into an issue today when I was making a step by step video for youtube ( link )
I was converting Return of the Jedi, and after the black bar removal it did the same as what you experienced. I restarted 5 more times, but I could not replicate the problem again. the 5 times worked fine. I will look into it a bit more.

pilot25

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to rip a TV show DVD?

I tried ripping The Office which has 6 episodes on it. DVD Catalyst shows 11 tracks and records only records the first 5 minutes of the first couple episodes then the other "tracks" are unreadable by any media player.

D

dvdcatalyst

While I don't mind answering questions on these forums, please keep in mind that this is a DROID forum, not a DVD CATALYST forum. I am very responsive on these forums as well as by email, but if there are questions specific to DVD Catalyst, I think they are better asked by email.

Has anyone tried to rip a TV show DVD?

I tried ripping The Office which has 6 episodes on it. DVD Catalyst shows 11 tracks and records only records the first 5 minutes of the first couple episodes then the other "tracks" are unreadable by any media player.

DVD Catalyst reports the tracks that it finds on the DVD. While there are 6 episodes on the DVD you mention, certain special features can show up as well, or the DVD could have episodes listed double. This is explained in detail in the FAQ
Q: Why does DVD Catalyst list more than just the movie?
A: DVD Catalyst looks for all the content on a DVD, and then shows anything that is longer than 10 minutes (Adjustable in Global Settings > DVD) It filters out trailers and most special features, however, if there are special features that are longer than the 10 minutes, it will show them. The reason for this is to make it easier to convert TV DVDs. Most conversion tools force you to convert one item at a time, so for a TV DVD, you have to start the conversion 4-6 times on the same DVD. With DVD Catalyst all the episodes get converted with 1 click. You can enable “Movie/Episode recognition in Global Settings > DVD which tells DVD Catalyst to enable/disable certain DVD tracks for you (you can always enable them again after scanning).

The problem with the short conversions could be due to the DVD protection being more severe than others, or based on software conflicting with the conversion, or storage issues, scratches on the DVD etc.
Did you try any other DVDs, from the same series as well as maybe a movie DVD, and did that work successfully?
Did you change any settings, quality, screensize, what profile did you use?
All this information makes it easier for me to assist you.

xxcalibur

Reaction score
just got dvd catalyst and my first two conversions BOTH are out of sync..any reasons why? i've used the droid HQ and HQ2 presets. if this is covered in this topic please forgive..i didnt want to read 23 pages of posts

D

dvdcatalyst

just got dvd catalyst and my first two conversions BOTH are out of sync..any reasons why? i've used the droid HQ and HQ2 presets. if this is covered in this topic please forgive..i didnt want to read 23 pages of posts

thank you for getting DVD Catalyst.

As mentioned in the faq, as well as a few other posts in this thread, do the files play in sync when you play them on your computer using Quicktime or VLC (not Windows Media Player, that does have sync issues)

xxcalibur

Reaction score

As mentioned in the faq, as well as a few other posts in this thread, do the files play in sync when you play them on your computer using Quicktime or VLC (not Windows Media Player, that does have sync issues)

actually no..i tried an avi file first which went out of sync coverting it. i tr4ied an mkv file next, that seemed to work ok

D

dvdcatalyst

actually no..i tried an avi file first which went out of sync coverting it. i tr4ied an mkv file next, that seemed to work ok

Can you please provide more information about your AVI file?

There are hundreds of different combinations of video and audio that can be used in an AVI file. The framerate of the avi can play a big issue as well.

In general most AVI files convert just fine, but if for some reason the AVI is low-quality, low framerate or has issues already, of course this will end up in the converted file as well.

If the file plays fine on your computer, but has sync issues on the Droid, try a soft-reset of your Droid (battery pull). This usually fixes sync issues.