Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

marty45714

Reaction score
4th Update 5/2/2013 - Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't.

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

3rd Update 5/1/2013 - I changed the code that 'finds' the exploit file to make sure it get executed successfully. It's now using the "PATH" environment to do this. This is more reliable than the actual Linux 'find' command I was using before. Also added some additional instructions to clarify some steps based on feedback from users. Finally, added code to detect if the network adapter is not configured correctly. It will alert the user to configure the network adapter properly in the VirtualBox application.

2nd Update 5/1/2013 - I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 46MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.12/VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe

Note: We've had one report that this file also works with VMWare Workstation and VMWare Player. If you don't want to install VirtualBox feel free try the file with VMWare.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file containing the Linux VM from one of the following links:
http://www.knite.net/Bionic/Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fhiAIiSwc0jD1AdVFNY27QdoeKP9ot_7IdDetSvw&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.

Droid 51

Reaction score
Is there a link for the sun virtual box so no one is confused about weather or not they got the right one mainly (me)

ReFlex

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 50 MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

I need some testers. This works for me, but I need to see how it does in the field. Please try it and give me your feedback.

Here are the steps:

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...Bionic_JB.ova?token_hash=AAGSOYfPuDXTur_e9qlY l2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

The download for number 2 keeps failing at about 30 MB. is it supposed to be this instead?

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...fPuDXTur_e9qlYl2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1

ReFlex

Reaction score

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 50 MB.

I need some testers. This works for me, but I need to see how it does in the field. Please try it and give me your feedback.

Here are the steps:

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fPuDXTur_e9qlYl2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1

Ok, so attempting to do it right now. It just sits there on the spot that says:

Missing Required Privileges
Press any hardware button on your phone
don't worry if phone is unresponsive
Device will vibrate once phone is done
press enter once phone vibrates.

Been waiting about 15 minutes and it hasn't vibrated. Should my phone be showing some sign of something happening?

Added screenshot.

Attachments

• Linux Minimal.png
    Linux Minimal.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,255

420inva

Reaction score
Smb

Ive never owned, or even used linux for that matter so I'm a bit lost on what do do right when Linux Minimal starts up. Do i HAVE to fill out the info it asks for in the beginning? If so, with what info?

I leave the info as it is when it starts up, and when I press enter, It tries to see if I'm connected up to SMB share and i'm not so it tells me to connect or follow "the steps above" which there aren't any.

Sorry for being such a noob but Linux isn't my cup of tea :biggrin:

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
ReFlex,

Thanks for the feedback. There was a problem with the script. Looks like it has to be run as root. I believe I've fixed it. Please download, import and try again. I've managed to defrag, and compact the disk file down. The download is now only 46MB.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fPuDXTur_e9qlYl2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1

Ok, so attempting to do it right now. It just sits there on the spot that says:

Missing Required Privileges

Been waiting about 15 minutes and it hasn't vibrated. Should my phone be showing some sign of something happening?

Added screenshot.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
420inva,

The script I've wrote tells you EXACTLY what to do. Even tells you what to click in order to get there. If you can't follow those simple steps, maybe rooting your phone is not for you... LOL!

Ive never owned, or even used linux for that matter so I'm a bit lost on what do do right when Linux Minimal starts up. Do i HAVE to fill out the info it asks for in the beginning? If so, with what info?

I leave the info as it is when it starts up, and when I press enter, It tries to see if I'm connected up to SMB share and i'm not so it tells me to connect or follow "the steps above" which there aren't any.

Sorry for being such a noob but Linux isn't my cup of tea :biggrin:

ReFlex

Reaction score
Now it gets to here:

Getting Root..

and the phone restarts at this point, and vibrates several times after the bionic eye has been up for a few seconds.

After the restart finishes it vibrated one more time so I hit enter to continue, and got

cleaning up.
Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

Everything seemed to have worked that time, however I still don't have root access. Tried Titanium backup and it confirms I cannot get root access.

shhendri

Reaction score
I have gotten to the point where the phone connects, pushes the SU, and the prompt tells me to press any hardware button and wait for the phone to vibrate. Waited for an hour, no vibrate. I pressed enter and it looked like the program finished and cleaned correctly. After reboot I tried root checker, still no root.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Need you to do some investigation. Run the exploit again. Once your phone is connected to the SMB share and the Linux script verifies the connectivity, press Ctrl-C to break out of the script and return to the Linux command prompt. Make sure your phone is connected to USB. From there execute the following commands and share the output with me:

sudo ash

cd /home/guest/share

./adb.linux shell

(if you execute the above command and DO NOT see this prompt: shell@cdma_targa/ $
then you have USB connectivity issues and need to make sure you get your phone successfully connected
to VirtualBox and the Linux VM)

ls -l /storage/rfs0

I want to see the output of the "ls" command to verify that the SMB share is being mounted to /storage/rfs0
This can cause the exploit to fail is it's not.

If you see no output from that command, run this command:
find /storage -name pwn

Now it gets to here:

Getting Root..

and the phone restarts at this point, and vibrates several times after the bionic eye has been up for a few seconds.

After the restart finishes it vibrated one more time so I hit enter to continue, and got

cleaning up.
Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

Everything seemed to have worked that time, however I still don't have root access. Tried Titanium backup and it confirms I cannot get root access.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Can you do the same thing for me that I asked for from Reflex above? Please share the output of the commands.

I have gotten to the point where the phone connects, pushes the SU, and the prompt tells me to press any hardware button and wait for the phone to vibrate. Waited for an hour, no vibrate. I pressed enter and it looked like the program finished and cleaned correctly. After reboot I tried root checker, still no root.

ReFlex

Reaction score
Need you to do some investigation. Run the exploit again. Once your phone is connected to the SMB share and the Linux script verifies the connectivity, press Ctrl-C to break out of the script and return to the Linux command prompt. Make sure your phone is connected to USB. From there execute the following commands and share the output with me:

sudo ash

cd /home/guest/share

./adb.linux shell

(if you execute the above command and DO NOT see this prompt: shell@cdma_targa/ $
then you have USB connectivity issues and need to make sure you get your phone successfully connected
to VirtualBox and the Linux VM)

ls -l /storage/rfs0

I want to see the output of the "ls" command to verify that the SMB share is being mounted to /storage/rfs0
This can cause the exploit to fail is it's not.

If you see no output from that command, run this command:
find /storage -name pwn

Ran those, and everything seemed ok.

Attachments

• Linux Minimal.png
    Linux Minimal.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 893
OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
So you are right, this looks good. Can you type:
su -

and see if you get a root prompt?

The command it runs to root the phone once you get as far as you did is:
/storage/rfso/pwn 1

You can try running that manually and see what happens.

Ran those, and everything seemed ok.