ESN Swap Help between Thunderbolt \ CDMA Device. Ready to give up.

dot4f

First my questions:
If I wanted to shelve my Thunderbolt until Verizon finishes an OS update, and ESN swap another (3G CDMA) device in place...
1) how would I swap back to an LTE device (My Thunderbolt)
2) would I lose my "unlimited" LTE data plan, and end up with a capped plan?
3) can the swap be done via the website? (it looks like I can swap to a CDMA device on the site, but not sure about swaping back to an LTE device)
4) should I expect any difference in billing\contract terms\bla bla. New to Verizon, not sure what crap they'll pull for something so simple.

Why:
- you can stop reading here if you just want to answer the above :)

I've had two Thunderbolts since launch, both with issues.
When LTE works, it works amazingly well (36MBs down\16MBs up in my appt in San Francisco (Market & 14th St). Generally calls work fine here at home.
BUT Data, GPS are highly unreliable. I use google voice for SMS, so it really bugs me when I pull the device out of my pocket to find out, I've not had data service for hours.
Problems:

Data
The major issue I have is, I loose ALL data service very frequently.
Here is a perfect example of the problem, go into subway, loose all service (ok) come up to ground level, get 4 bars of service, but no data. Should have LTE. Fire up browser, magically I have 3G, then LTE sometimes - sometimes I need to reboot before I get anything at all.

Voice\Audio
I've had a few dropped calls in areas that I wouldn't expect them, which I feel is kinda nit-picking but with full reception at off peak hours, while not moving? Come on. I use less than 250 min a month, so for this to happen... seems more than a fluke, but whatever.
Generally, coverage has been less than I expected. I see others talking on their VZW devices in areas where I have no service. Coverage is no better than my work phone on AT&T (and I'm in San Francisco, where ATT is pretty poor)

Tethering - if I have anything less than 3-4 bars, tethering kicks on\off, on\off, on\off, and then I get annoyed and give up. The device continues to act funky- have to reboot. Annoyed.
If I have full service (4 bars) Tethering works amazingly well.
Tried tethering in a 3G only area, and had the same issues. Doesn't seem specific to LTE. Tried with CDMA Only turned on - same problems.

GPS
Sometimes works great, other times can't get a fix. Annoyed.
While using Navigation with Google Maps I can't get screen to STAY off. I could on my Nexus One. On TB I start navigation, hit power button and the screen briefly goes black, then comes right back on. This of course leeds to a dead battery in really short order. Why?

What I've done so far:
  • Wiped the phone (many times)
  • Changed eHPRD (now instead of 1x I have 3G occasionally, but more often no data at all.)
  • Changed Preferred Network Type to CDMA Auto PRL, still have same no data issues though.
  • Data roaming is enabled, as is mobile network.
  • Tried PRL updates (ineffective I believe with this type of device)
  • Reset GPS Cache with GPS Status App (useless - did NOTHING)
  • Replaced the device (same issues)
  • No weird apps installed, not very many apps at all (save for the crapware)
  • Opened trouble ticket with VZW, waiting on response (very nice phone support, but we'll see the result.
  • Have NOT rooted\installed the unofficial update circulating around. I'm a purist. It needs to just work with stock, carrier tested & approved software, without me waiting endlessly for them to release a patch.

Have had issues in the following cities: San Francisco, Phoenix, Chicago Metro, DC, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, LA, San Jose. Worked fine (3G worked well in Honolulu, issues with GPS though- Doubt they have LTE coverage yet).

Device Specs:

Android version: 2.2.1
Baseband version: 1.16.00.0223r
Software number: 1.12.605.6
PRL version: 15011

Summary
When it works, it works really well, mostly at home where I don't care about data service. When traveling, I can't count on it, and that really frustrates me. I would rather have a reliable, slow device than this, hence the questions.

Thanks for listening to my whines, sorry for the length.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
First my questions:
If I wanted to shelve my Thunderbolt until Verizon finishes an OS update, and ESN swap another (3G CDMA) device in place...
3) can the swap be done via the website? (it looks like I can swap to a CDMA device on the site, but not sure about swaping back to an LTE device)
4) should I expect any difference in billing\contract terms\bla bla. New to Verizon, not sure what crap they'll pull for something so simple.
Answers:
1. The same way you did it when you added the device.
2. Since VZW hasn't switched to capped data, why do you think this would be an issue? (Unless you are waiting several months when it does happen)
3. You might want to call VZW directly to activate the device, but I don't see why you couldn't swap ESN's online.
4. If you're going to a non-smartphone, depending on your current plan, you will not need the $29.99 data plan, so it would pro-rate that off. I think you're over-thinking all of this and welcome to VZW.

MrKleen

It will not pro rate off the data plan unless you paid full price for the phone and are not contracted. You signed a two year contract so even if you switch to an old phone you will still be paying for your thunderbolt. So you don't have to worry about losing your unlimited since you will continue to pay for it anyway. That or an early termination fee.

It will not pro rate off the data plan unless you paid full price for the phone and are not contracted. You signed a two year contract so even if you switch to an old phone you will still be paying for your thunderbolt. So you don't have to worry about losing your unlimited since you will continue to pay for it anyway. That or an early termination fee.

Hmm??
when u switch to a non-smartphone the 29.99 data plan comes off automatically and u have to choose a data option or it will default to nothing aka pay per use. I am tempted to do the same thing but I would switch to another android phone but also wonder about the unlimited data thing because when u remove a 4G device all the 4G features go off your account and that is what worries me.. I would say ask a VZW csr but that would be hit or miss as they are likely not to know either.

sent from my unlocatable rebootin' Tbolt

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member

Hmm??
when u switch to a non-smartphone the 29.99 data plan comes off automatically and u have to choose a data option or it will default to nothing aka pay per use. I am tempted to do the same thing but I would switch to another android phone but also wonder about the unlimited data thing because when u remove a 4G device all the 4G features go off your account and that is what worries me.. I would say ask a VZW csr but that would be hit or miss as they are likely not to know either.

You are absolutely right. The O.P. would NOT be paying for data if switching to a non-smartphone. And if it is switched out in the middle of the billing cycle, yes it will be pro rated off.

ionide

First my questions:
Answers:
1. The same way you did it when you added the device.
2. Since VZW hasn't switched to capped data, why do you think this would be an issue? (Unless you are waiting several months when it does happen)
3. You might want to call VZW directly to activate the device, but I don't see why you couldn't swap ESN's online.
4. If you're going to a non-smartphone, depending on your current plan, you will not need the $29.99 data plan, so it would pro-rate that off. I think you're over-thinking all of this and welcome to VZW.

You will need a new sim card if you switch to an old phone and switch back. They're free at stores. I don't know if you can change to 4g phone online, better off going to a store, or calling customer service and having them send you a sim card, then call again when you get it to have it provisioned on your line.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
D

dot4f

Like I said, swapping away does not worry me, it's swapping back to the Thunderbolt. Will the swap back be painless online, or is it going to be a mess because the device has a sim card and it's already been activated before? It's only tied to my account, so I expect not, but seems uncharted territory here so just trying to be sure.

It would definitely be a smartphone, possibly a Pre 2, not sure if it requires a special (different) data plan. For example, would an iPhone require a special (different) data plan from what I have currently?

The Thunderbolt is my first VZW Phone (subsidized, under contract).
I would be swapping to something I bought off craiglist and owned outright.

Plan Info:
  • MOBILE HOTSPOT PROMO (don't wanna lose this, but oh well, can deal with it)
  • 4G INTERNET ACCESS(will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • 4G APPLICATION ACCESS (will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • 4G DATA TRANSPORT (will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • Unlimited Data (don't wanna lose this)

OP
D

dot4f

You will need a new sim card if you switch to an old phone and switch back. They're free at stores. I don't know if you can change to 4g phone online, better off going to a store, or calling customer service and having them send you a sim card, then call again when you get it to have it provisioned on your line.

I'm inclined to believe you. This is sort of the hastle I was expecting. If there were other LTE devices out, I asume it would be as easy as moving my SIM from device to device?

MrKleen

Hmm??

Oops you guys are right, I messed that up.

The data plan (unlimited data) is the same for any smartphone... So that won't go anywhere its just that when you reactivate the TB *if they have change to tierd data plans then that might give them reason to change u to a new tierd plan when adding back the 4g but I don't think anyone really knows....
If u go over 90 days u will have to get a new sim card otherwise it should be easy re-activation over the internet or over the phone

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Like I said, swapping away does not worry me, it's swapping back to the Thunderbolt. Will the swap back be painless online, or is it going to be a mess because the device has a sim card and it's already been activated before? It's only tied to my account, so I expect not, but seems uncharted territory here so just trying to be sure.

It would definitely be a smartphone, possibly a Pre 2, not sure if it requires a special (different) data plan. For example, would an iPhone require a special (different) data plan from what I have currently?

The Thunderbolt is my first VZW Phone (subsidized, under contract).
I would be swapping to something I bought off craiglist and owned outright.

Plan Info:
  • MOBILE HOTSPOT PROMO (don't wanna lose this, but oh well, can deal with it)
  • 4G INTERNET ACCESS(will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • 4G APPLICATION ACCESS (will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • 4G DATA TRANSPORT (will this just magically come back with an LTE device?)
  • Unlimited Data (don't wanna lose this)
I think the answers are that you would need another sim card (free) to reactivate the TB. You're right, unchartered territory. If you have a VZW iPhone then it would be the same data plan pricing as you currently have on your TB. You mention using a Pre 2. If that's a Sprint phone, it will not work on VZW at all.

Please let me know what you find out about needing a new SIM card if you deactivate the TB then reactivate it again.

ionide

The data plan (unlimited data) is the same for any smartphone... So that won't go anywhere its just that when you reactivate the TB *if they have change to tierd data plans then that might give them reason to change u to a new tierd plan when adding back the 4g but I don't think anyone really knows....
If u go over 90 days u will have to get a new sim card otherwise it should be easy re-activation over the internet or over the phone

No new sim if less than 90 days? Where did you get this info?

I read/heard it somewhere I think was oh these forums but best bet is to contact vzw they should at least know that... I know u can't move a sim card from acct to another

ionide

I read/heard it somewhere I think was oh these forums but best bet is to contact vzw they should at least know that... I know u can't move a sim card from acct to another

Ok, well I checked and got confirmation today that its immediate.

Joshw0000

I buy/sell/trade Verizon phone for a hobby (and extra cash). I can say from experience that Verizon CAN activate your Thunderbolt with the SAME sim card that was once linked to your phone and account. I have done this. Most verizon reps do not fully understand the sim card situation just like most of us. Some reps have given me new sims when transferring back and fourth but the most recent rep used my existing sim card.

The problem I've had most recently is I sold a used Thunderbolt that I bought used. I checked the MEID and knew that it was a clean phone but the old sim had been removed. The guy at Verizon said he could not activate it on the guy's existing line because he did not have an old sim to cancel out. After an hour and a half, and a call to the main Verizon, we learned that Verizon had to first link the phone to his account, then they would be allowed to issue a new sim card.