external keyboard

JGH

Reaction score
fold up keyboard...was available for Treo. I used to take copious meeting notes which could be emailed to meeting attendees within minutes of the close of the meeting. Always impressed my fellow attendees. ME WANTS.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
fold up keyboard...was available for Treo. I used to take copious meeting notes which could be emailed to meeting attendees within minutes of the close of the meeting. Always impressed my fellow attendees. ME WANTS.

Miss mine from TREO days, too. I'm frankly surprised that such an accessory hasn't caught on more widely. Seems to be limited to the BB and Windows Mobile devices (as well as the Palm, obviously.)

I suspect it's the business focus of the other manufacturers that prompts it.

Russell

Reaction score
Just an idea but what about a standard bluetooth keyboard? I've seen them before.

dremelts

Reaction score
Just an idea but what about a standard bluetooth keyboard? I've seen them before.

Bluetooth is probably the way to go, but someone still has to write the driver for the droid so that it recognizes the kb. While they are at it, write a mouse driver too. Then I would almost never have to tether my pc.

mike1655

Reaction score
what about an external monitor while we are at it. Really, with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Most of your computing could be done with no computer.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I ran across someone saying that they were using a BT keyboard with the Droid... I'll have to look around again.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what about an external monitor while we are at it. Really, with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Most of your computing could be done with no computer.

Why not just add in a tower? Oh wait... that's a PC :)

hfw10027

Reaction score
Anyone tested the droidKBDriver?

I noticed that a keyboard driver was being tested at the end of December. At least one, called KeyPro, is now available from http://www.mymobilegear.com/AndroidKBDriver.php. It uses the SPP (?) protocol and has a tab listing compatible keyboards. As of my last web search a week or two ago, the HID protocol was still not available for the Droid.

At least one keyboard, the Universal, is advertised as being available and specifically Droid compatible. Info, including a description so hurriedly prepared it refers to Blackberry instead of Droid in the text, may be found at MOTOROLA DROID A855 BLUETOOTH PHONE KEYPAD KEYBOARD [DROID UNIVERSAL KEYPAD] - $99.95 : Cellular Accessories, Unlocked GSM Phone, Bluetooth Wireless and More, | MBHWireless.com!. I assume it is available from other sources as well.

If anyone has any experience with the driver program or the keyboard, I'd appreciate a post. Thanks!

magnes

Reaction score
I tried the KeyPro driver from the Market. My keyboard is listed as compatible. I couldn't get beyond the "Paired but not connected" notice, so uninstalled the driver program.

I'm quite leery of the MBHwireless keyboard. I can't find it offered from any other vendor, which makes me suspicious. Might call on the phone if I thought I could get someone competent to give some assurance of compatibility.

I noticed that a keyboard driver was being tested at the end of December. At least one, called KeyPro, is now available from http://www.mymobilegear.com/AndroidKBDriver.php. It uses the SPP (?) protocol and has a tab listing compatible keyboards. As of my last web search a week or two ago, the HID protocol was still not available for the Droid.

At least one keyboard, the Universal, is advertised as being available and specifically Droid compatible. Info, including a description so hurriedly prepared it refers to Blackberry instead of Droid in the text, may be found at MOTOROLA DROID A855 BLUETOOTH PHONE KEYPAD KEYBOARD [DROID UNIVERSAL KEYPAD] - $99.95 : Cellular Accessories, Unlocked GSM Phone, Bluetooth Wireless and More, | MBHWireless.com!. I assume it is available from other sources as well.

If anyone has any experience with the driver program or the keyboard, I'd appreciate a post. Thanks!