External Speaker quiet

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
So I know uve all probably read reviews one after another and saw the same issue always getting brought up about the low volume on the external speaker. To some it may not be a big deal but to me this is a huge deal. After reading the comments in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1363690 it really has me worried.

My question is do u guys think this will get fixed in updates or is this something we might have to live with? This might be a deal breaker for me if something can't get resolved. What's the sense of having a phone when u can't hear anybody calling or texting you. I love this phone and I'm hoping there can be a fixed but can any of you give me ur thoughts, a lil bit of hope? Lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
I use vibrate, so no problem for me. I find ringtones annoying, people leave phones laying around in my office ringing and it irritates me.

Last edited:

mightybrick

Reaction score
So I know uve all probably read reviews one after another and saw the same issue always getting brought up about the low volume on the external speaker. To some it may not be a big deal but to me this is a huge deal. After reading the comments in this thread [Q] Audio quality - xda-developers it really has me worried.

My question is do u guys think this will get fixed in updates or is this something we might have to live with? This might be a deal breaker for me if something can't get resolved. What's the sense of having a phone when u can't hear anybody calling or texting you. I love this phone and I'm hoping there can be a fixed but can any of you give me ur thoughts, a lil bit of hope? Lol.

A poster in that thread said a kernel was made that boosted the audio of the external speaker on the nexus one. I suppose the same could be done for the GNex.

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replys guys, I'm just worried and any positive thoughts helps lol. I'm sure I will manage regardless, I just use to have a BB and the speaker was unbearable, I told myself never again.

Tas

Reaction score
This is my only concern for the Nexus as well. I use the speakerphone alot for calls and videos and would really be bummed if it was low. The D1 was good. My blackberry for work has the worst speakerphone I have ever dealt with.

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
This is my only concern for the Nexus as well. I use the speakerphone alot for calls and videos and would really be bummed if it was low. The D1 was good. My blackberry for work has the worst speakerphone I have ever dealt with.

Yeah ur about in the same boat as me it sounds like. My D1 rocks, moto has always been on top of this, I had a BB 8830 or something like that, it was a global phone and had the worse speaker imaginable. It would sit it my pocket and ring and I could hardly notice it. I know there are ways to maybe fix this when rooting it, but idk how fast I wanna root it. Either way its still a bummer.

Tas

Reaction score
I hear you INCREMENTAL. Thing is, I have no interest in rooting this phone right off the bat. Heck, I didn't root my D1 until just a few months ago. I'm happy with stock android and that's it. I don't wanna tinker with the phone if I don't want to. Only reason I finally rooted the D1 was because it started acting weird and quite frankly I was getting bored and wanted to see what it can do. Hopefully if it is software, an ota patch will fix it.

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I hear you INCREMENTAL. Thing is, I have no interest in rooting this phone right off the bat. Heck, I didn't root my D1 until just a few months ago. I'm happy with stock android and that's it. I don't wanna tinker with the phone if I don't want to. Only reason I finally rooted the D1 was because it started acting weird and quite frankly I was getting bored and wanted to see what it can do. Hopefully if it is software, an ota patch will fix it.

Again it sounds like we think alike. I have no interest to root it off the bat either, I just rooted my D1 on black Friday cause mine started acting weird and just got really slow plus the wait for this phone has been unbearable. Root is nice but not something I must have, a new phone would outweigh that for me. I hope its software to, that one guy said he downloaded that volume+ app and it sounds a lot better so if that's what it takes then ill be fine, one way or the other it needs to be heard but OTA would be nicer.

pushdrops

Reaction score
The epic touch has a decent speaker, i haven't tried other galaxy s2 variants. I was surpised that the ET speaker ended up being decent as the Charge and Nexus S seem to have super low volume, weak speakers from testing them at BB over the past year using the same YouTube video as a comparison.
The Thunderbolt also seems to have a very weak soaked as did the original Incredible from what i recall.

I use my phone to watch YouTube videos and listen to podcasts an it's grateful to have a decent speaker which u can carry around the phone playing back podcasts and able to hear them without being tied to headphones while walking around.

I so wish Verizon would offer a galaxy two as I'm tired of waiting and first the GNexus has the lo quality camera issue and now seems the speaker will be very weak plus it keep getting pushed back, who knows when will be teleassed but with the camera and a crappy speaker, I'm not ready to sign up for another two years plus put up $299 for the GNexus.

If only Verizon would've released the galaxy two!!! I have a ET and love it but Sprint is horrible here so it wasn't useful off of Wi-Fi, canceled the trial, still have the phone. Desperate to maybev even activate out ET's and deal with the slow network as Verizon is a letdown in phone choices.

First Sprint gets the Evo, Verizon the Thunderbolt almost a year later. Sprint the Photon, months later vzw the Bionic. September other US carriers get a gs2 variant, AT&T now also the sktrocket and Verizon, waiting on the GNexus with a weak camera and speaker. Give me a galaxy two that will upgrade to ICS and can use NOW with a loud speaker and great camera.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got to test the speaker today, I found it fairly loud. I've been using the OG for 2 years, so I know how loud a speaker can be and it was I'd say 75-80% as loud as the OG. I think the speaker sounded better, it didn't crackle at max like my OG does sometimes with bass ect...

Badbird2000

Reaction score
I use vibrate, so no problem for me. I find ringtones annoying, people leave phones laying around in my office ringing and it irritates me.

Same here. I hate it when they lay there phone down walk away and get three phone calls. Either take it with you or put it on silent..preferably both

pushdrops

Reaction score
I found they're nexus s to.be maybe 40% if the original droid's volume, comparing my Droid to the nexus s recently at best buy, playing the same music video on each within YouTube.
If the GNexus is 80% volume level of the original Droid that would be OK.

Hope that's correct.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Glad more people are speaking up about this. It's literally my only gripe with the phone. It's strange; the loud's seem loud, and the quiet's seem really quiet, as if it was rounding off the volume level or something. I knew when I listened to some metal songs vs. more quiet songs that this had to be a software issue, which is good because that means it's fixable.

Hopefully we get what we paid for, a pure Google device with some good support and little things like this get resolved quickly. My OG Droid cranks like it's got a 12" sub attached to it compared to the Nexus. The screen lock sound sounds like a pin hitting the floor at maximum volume; what gives Google? You telling us you didn't notice this in your testing??

Jung136

Reaction score
well if I recall correctly, when my first purchased my Droid X, the speaker was pretty quiet and a lot of people complained about it so a few months later, they increased the speaker volume in an update.. I hope Google does that as well :)