False notification sounds after ICS upgrade

MunkieNub

Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping to find definitive information on this issue. Yesterday this exact problem started for me so I tried tracking my phone looking for patterns of conditions: battery level, WiFi, apps running, apps installed, signal strength and type (4G/3G) and I have found nothing. While charging it seems to sound off at every 10% increment but while discharging, no patterns are showing. I suppose I'll do a factory reset and get back to you on the result kadidle. Damn all ghosts in the machine!!!!!:icon_evil:

I forgot to add the most crucial information: known changes. I spent a few minutes looking at the apps I have no use for and tried to uninstall some of the factory mandatory (<---which is b.s.) apps. Before, I was constantly bothered to update these so eventually I caved because the notifications were pissing me off. Maybe, the phone is trying to tell me "updates available" but due to my deleting, the text is failing just as someone mentioned their apps were doing while the device was plugged in. I went to Play Store and selected Slacker Radio, since I knew for a fact I tried to delete that app from the Settings->Apps menu. When I uninstalled in from Play Store, I rebooted and the first thing that happened was I got a text from Gold's Gym (membership cancelled 16 months ago during the 4 year membership never received a single text) and Slacker Radio started updating itself automatically. This was roughly 10-15 minutes ago and I have yet to see a phantom notification. I shall whine more if it happens again, but I recommend trying this before a factory reset. If you're anything like me, it takes some time to modify factory settings back to my settings, not to mention re-downloading the apps I frequently use.

Btw I am fully aware of the mandatory apps workaround through rooting. No wise guys please.

Last edited:

kadidle

Reaction score
I noticed mine does it a lot when connect and disconnect from Wifi.... its getting really annoying though and like you said I dont want to do a factory reset and re-download everything, unless it permanently fixes the problem.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
I have update notifications turned off. I know that isn't the problem because it started immediately after the ics upgrade.
I've been troubleshooting and noticed the following:
The false notifications only occur when wifi of on AND the phone signal is weak. I've watched the display and there seemed to be notifications when "signal is lost" and again when "signal is regained." Here again, the wifi has to be on and connected for this to happen. The wifi signal is strong.

When I get the notifications, there are usually 2 or 3 within 30 seconds or so. I have been through the menu dozens of times making sure I haven't missed a setting. This is driving me nuts.

epim

Reaction score
bkirk22 - I have the exact same problems.
Crap signal, Notification LED blinks green, Random notifications that drive me up the wall, and my phone screen periodically turns out without any reason.

Random notifications seem to happen more often when wifi is turned on. It seems to be i'm getting notifications whenever it juggles between 1x, 3g, and 4g. Which it does an awful lot.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
Hi epim,

I am seeing the exact same thing. Please let me know if you figure it out. I am thinking of doing a factory reset. Don't want to deal with the hassle though.

Resonance

Reaction score
epim said:
bkirk22 - I have the exact same problems.
Crap signal, Notification LED blinks green, Random notifications that drive me up the wall, and my phone screen periodically turns out without any reason.

Random notifications seem to happen more often when wifi is turned on. It seems to be i'm getting notifications whenever it juggles between 1x, 3g, and 4g. Which it does an awful lot.

I have the same experiences but they only started in the last few days. I notice that my cell reception is frequently going from 4g to 3g and back when im at home, but before ICS it was solid 4g. Sometimes I lose all reception for a moment as well.

epim

Reaction score
I haven't done a factory reset yet.. Haven't wanted to deal with it yet.

67cuda

Reaction score
Have you guys figured this out yet? I'm having the exact same problem, everything you described. did the factory reset work? This is driving me absolutely nuts!

67cuda

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is that I downloaded youmail but uninstalled it because I didn't like it, it seems to be only after that?

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
I'm still having the problem. I started having the problem immediately after the ics upgrade. Didn't install any apps. Haven't bothered to call tech support because they have proven worthless in the past. I guess someone is gonna have to bite the bullet and try a factory reset.

MunkieNub

Reaction score
Looks like that someone will be me. I've had my sound turned off which helped only when people DIDN'T need to reach me. Goodbye cool unlock and menu designs... Will report 24 hour results in... you guessed it, 24 hours. Wish me luck fellow RAZRs.

67cuda

Reaction score
I kind of worked around it by setting the default notification to silent. Then set all other apps individually. So far so good but it still bugs me not knowing what it is.

MunkieNub

Reaction score
I am happy to report a notification free 14 hour period since my factory reset. The OS didn't downgrade like I hoped but I'm cool with a properly functioning 4.0.4. Will report any developments, but so far the factory reset seems to have fixed the problem. Sometimes technology needs a test run to work out glitches, this one needed a test install. Good luck ladies and gents.

<edit> 24 Hour success. I haven't had a single phantom notification. Problem solved. Factory reset.

Last edited:

computerfixer412

Reaction score
Factory Reset only worked temporarily

Well folks, this was happening to me quite a but so I did a factory reset 48 hours later, it's back.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
Cuda67 has a good idea with silencing the default notification sound. However, I suppose you would still have to deal with the blinking light.