FINALLY! GSM on DROID 4!!! IT WORKS!

vmu

Reaction score
FINALLY! GSM on DROID 4 !!! IT WORKS !

It took me a lot of effort, reading, testing, translating and flashing, but FINALLY! My droid 4 is GSM Enabled. Thanks to the help of the folks at XDA and Angeeks.
Because the info to do it is scattered over several forums and threads, here's a How-to. Before you continue I need to say this: Do this at your own risk! I am not responsible for your actions, bricking/destroying your phone.

EDIT: Ok, this is the newest and easiest step by step way to enable gsm on your droid 4.
***PRECAUTIONS***
[/COLOR]THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON ANDROID 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD DEVICES.
DO NOT FLASH IF YOU HAVE UPGRADED TO ANDROID 4.0 ICS.
YOUR DEVICE MUST BE FULLY CHARGED PRIOR TO FLASHING.
[/B]
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1: Download the official ICS4.04 rom from this site: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php or the leaked version from this site: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5YH1w-_H3yCanhWZ18wQ1UtQUU/edit
2: Download and install RSDLite 5.7 from this site http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76950573/RSDLite5.7.msi
3: Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers from this site http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...al_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.1.40_Driver_5.5.0.exe
4: Power off your phone
5: Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
6: Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it
7: When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together
8: Select "wipe data/factory reset" and on the next screen select "Yes -- delete all user data"
9: Once it's finished, select "reboot system now" then immediately press both volume buttons until you see the bootloader menu
10: Connect your phone to your PC via USB
11: Use the volume down button to navigate to "AP Fastboot" then use the volume up button to select it
12: Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the fastboot image .zip file (The one you downloaded in step one)
13: Select "Decompress And Start Flashing" and wait for the process to finish (it will take around 20-30 minutes)
14: Insert your foreign sim card, the system simply asks to switch to global mode. Choose yes and you're done.
15: Sometimes, the "This sim is from an unknown source" message appears, you can skip this message with the back button.

WARNING!!! ONCE YOU INSTALL THIS UPDATE, YOU CANNOT REVERT TO 6.13.219 OR 6.13.215 VIA FASTBOOT. ATTEMPTING TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN A BRICK. YOU MAY ALSO BE TAKEN OFF THE OFFICIAL VERIZON UPGRADE PATH. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I Only tested my D4 with the leaked rom!

That's it. You can ignore all the old info below. It's only here for archiving reasons.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Great news: Cellzealot from Xda created "update/patch" zip files which writes the radiocomm values directly to your phone without actually having to use Radiocomm. Radiocomm is no longer needed! "These files will make it easier and safer to perform the NV edits for users who don't want to mess with a complicated and dangerous serviceware app like RadioComm.

They must be run from Droid 4 Bootstrap recovery on a rooted D4 because Safestrap recovery disables NV writes.
Just place the zips on the root of your sdcard-ext directory and boot into recovery from the D4 Bootstrap app and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the TBH_Band_Config_Unlock.zip and install it.
It takes about 2-3 secs to run and then reboot and you should be all set. "

Download this zip file to apply the radiocomm patch without radiocomm: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1048524&d=1336485537
Download this zip file to undo the radiocomm patch and reset the value to its original state: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1048525&d=1336485537

I will leave the original radiocomm info here (in italic) for archiving purposes and for people who still want to experiment with radiocomm values.

First: Download Radiocomm, install it on your pc and connect your Droid 4.
Download Radiocomm here: RadioComm v11.3.2.zip

1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
2. In Radiocomm go to MA->COMMON->MDM 6x00
3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple or green.
4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
5. Read the value from the device
6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
This will enable GSM/UMTS bands... thanks to Fragulina

Today we discovered that the GSM patch is not needed. GSM works with every rom after changing the Radiocomm string, however, the (voice) problems we occurred are a 3G problem. If you switch to 2g GSM, everything works perfectly. No need for gsm patches or modified Buid.prop files. We still need to find out why the 3G mode gives us these voice problems. To be continued.

Special thanks to: Poursinet, Fragulina, (XDA) Disablewong (ANGEEKS/XDA) And many more!

Finally, the droid 4 on GSM Couldn't wish for a better birthday :D

--------------------------------------------------------------
Wait... there's more! The leaked Droid 4 ics fixes all the voice problems. If you insert your foreign sim card, the system simply asks to switch to global mode. Choose yes and you're done. Thanks to SGMD1 from XDA

Here are instructions on how to upgrade from Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread (build 6.13.219) to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (build 6.16.206). This is an official build pulled from a Motorola server.

WARNING!!! ONCE YOU INSTALL THIS UPDATE, YOU CANNOT REVERT TO 6.13.219 OR 6.13.215 VIA FASTBOOT. ATTEMPTING TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN A BRICK. YOU MAY ALSO BE TAKEN OFF THE OFFICIAL VERIZON UPGRADE PATH. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.206
Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip (354.9 MB)
Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.crc (10 bytes)
DOWNLOAD

Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.200
Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip (354.6 MB)
Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.crc (8 bytes)
DOWNLOAD (MIRRORS: 1)

INSTRUCTIONS:

If you have an external SD card:
  1. Flash the 6.13.219 fastboot file (instructions here) and (for root access) use the Droid 4 Utility to obtain root (instructions here)
  2. Extract one of the .zip files above and copy only Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip to your phone's external SD card
  3. (For root access) Install OTA RootKeeper, select "Protect root", then "Temp. un-root", then "Restore root"
  4. Power off your phone, then hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
  5. Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it
  6. When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together
  7. Select "apply update from sdcard" then press the power button
  8. Select the zip file and wait for the installation to finish
  9. Reboot
  10. (For root access) Open OTA RootKeeper and select "Restore root"

If you do not have an external SD card (root required):
  1. Flash the 6.13.219 fastboot file (instructions here) and use the Droid 4 Utility to obtain root (instructions here)
  2. Extract one of the .zip files above and copy the enclosed zip and crc files to your phone's internal storage (do not change the file names)
  3. Install ROM Manager
  4. Install ES File Explorer, go to Settings, and check "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System"
  5. Move the zip and crc files from internal storage to the /cache folder
  6. (For root access) Install OTA RootKeeper, select "Protect root", then "Temp. un-root", then "Restore root"
  7. Open ES File Explorer again, navigate to the /cache folder, click on the zip file, and open with ROM Manager
  8. Select "OK" when you see the Reboot and Install message and wait for the installation to finish
  9. Reboot
  10. (For root access) Open OTA RootKeeper and select "Restore root"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR? Here's the short version:

Flash/update your D4 to the leaked ICS Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
Done.

If you want to use another rom or you want to use the stock rom, no problem. But keep in mind that the 3g voice problem still exists with these roms.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy your Global droid 4!

Last edited:

ikari

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you are referring to the Radiocomm 11.3.2, as linked? ;)
The closest to step 2 as I get is: Main -> MA -> CDMA1X -> MSM 6100 Chipset Base
The closes tto step 3/4 is tab FTM2, it has the NVAccess thingy.

I just can't read the value... (trying under XP Mode in W7, since Radiocomm doesn't work in W7 at all)

Edit: do I need the patch for it to work at all? If so, do I need to flash stock ROM after installing safestrap and switching to safe ROM? (I switched and then installed the patch, and this one is now bricked. The unsafe rom still works)

Last edited:
OP
vmu

vmu

Reaction score
Yep. I used the Linked Radiocomm on windows 7. Did you install the official Motorola USB driver? Don't forget to switch your connected D4 to PC tools mode. If you don't, the value cannot be read (Had the same problem the first time)

I tested it all on safestrap with stock. You don't necessarily need the patch. I found one user on XDA who didn't have to patch his phone in order to get it working. I needed to patch mine for data to work.

I'm almost there, still having some voice issues, but that seems to be provider dependant.

ikari

Reaction score
[RADIOCOMM ISSUE SOLVED] UPDATE
Following the URL at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1138072 i have downloaded RadioComm 11.12.2 which works (and has the drivers) exactly like you guided us, having the same options as you gave. And it works on Windows 7. So probably you DID use a newer one ;-)

I have managed to write the new value to the device now and rebooted it!

[GSM SOLVED]
After failing to get the GSM under stock ROM, I decided to switch to safe and flash a Gummy CM9 ICS. There (after a little *#*#4636#*#* trick, which does not work on stock ROM) I got the GSM working! ... Although trying to actually use the phone (make a call) causes com.android.phone to get in a crash loop (which forces me to restart the phone).

After failing to get it working under CM9, I booted back into unsafe stock ROM (219)... and got the PIN prompt!
It still says that the SIM is from an unknown source, but it does connect to network.
I could dial a number without crashing the system, and send an SMS too!

I will be able to test data and voice after I get a proper microSIM card (for now I have a foreign one).

Last edited:

CellZealot

Reaction score
Well, despite a lot of testing and tweaking, I have not had complete success yet with my D4 using a prepaid T Mobile SIM here in the US, so I think there is considerable work still to be done on this. But it's very exciting and TBH made zip files for all of the devices including D4, Razr/Maxx and Bionic that can perform the NV edit required without RadioComm and also separate zips to undo the edit and return to default configuration of the NV. This will make the hack safer and more convenient and accessible to average users who might shy away from RadioComm. The tradeoff is that you then must be rooted and running the Droid 4 Bootstrap recovery and not Safestrap, because Hashcode disabled NV writes in his recovery to make it safer. Unfortunately it also prevents these files from working. I posted the Bionic version on XDA and we will post them again along with a more fleshed out guide once all the details for successfully getting it to work on the other devices is complete. There are definite issues with compatibility of various types of SIM cards and that has a major impact on whether it will work for any given user. It seems much easier for many non US users on GSM networks to get it working, although it works flawlessly for me on T Mobile with by Bionic. Congratulations to all involved and to fragulina for isolating the NV string and posting it.

erfannf2

Reaction score
Hi Guys

You've done a great job but there are some questions for me:

1. Is GSM on D4 reliable enough to use it for daily use in a Middle eastern country?
2. Does phone needs UNLOCK CODE for using GSM or not?
3. On D2G, we have certain problems with GSM like USSD and SMS delivery reports. Are those exist here on D4 on GSM?
4. Regarding changing RADIO info by means of that software, could it be done on D2G to make it unlock on GSM or not?

Thanks

ikari

Reaction score
1. Didn't really test yet. AFAIR people are having problems with audio on outgoing (but not incoming) calls when on 3G, have to switch to 3G for faster data and to 2G for making a call. I cannot confirm this yet.
2. It does not :D Just worked for me.

OP
vmu

vmu

Reaction score
Hi Guys

You've done a great job but there are some questions for me:

1. Is GSM on D4 reliable enough to use it for daily use in a Middle eastern country?
2. Does phone needs UNLOCK CODE for using GSM or not?
3. On D2G, we have certain problems with GSM like USSD and SMS delivery reports. Are those exist here on D4 on GSM?
4. Regarding changing RADIO info by means of that software, could it be done on D2G to make it unlock on GSM or not?

Thanks

1: I don't know, but I think you can. I'm using mine on a daily basis in Western Europe.
2: NO :icon_ lala: :biggrin:
3: No, All USSD codes work perfectly (the ones I tested at least)
4: I don't know. I Think the D2G uses another chipset.

@Ikari, I'm sorry :p I thought this was the one. I'll update the link in the main post.

@cellzealot. Lots of people seem to have problems with T-Mobile sims. I think Verizon locked them out on purpose.

There a still a few small issues to iron out (3g voice) Working on it.

erfannf2

Reaction score
1. Didn't really test yet. AFAIR people are having problems with audio on outgoing (but not incoming) calls when on 3G, have to switch to 3G for faster data and to 2G for making a call. I cannot confirm this yet.
2. It does not :D Just worked for me.

2G is enough and that's great D4 works on it. Does GPRS and EDGE are OK on 2G mode?

erfannf2

Reaction score
1: I don't know, but I think you can. I'm using mine on a daily basis in Western Europe.
2: NO :icon_ lala: :biggrin:
3: No, All USSD codes work perfectly (the ones I tested at least)
4: I don't know. I Think the D2G uses another chipset.

@Ikari, I'm sorry :p I thought this was the one. I'll update the link in the main post.

@cellzealot. Lots of people seem to have problems with T-Mobile sims. I think Verizon locked them out on purpose.

There a still a few small issues to iron out (3g voice) Working on it.

Good news!!!! :icon_ lala:
Thank you all of you! :hail:
I've been obsessed about D4 and CDMA only option and now, I'm going to purchase one dancedroid:icon_ banana:!!!

As I understood, RADIO COMM is used to change values on RADIO chipset of D4 and maybe there is one software for D2G chipset too! Is that changing NV Item somewhere has a definition so could be mapped to D2G chip???? I'm interested in more research as many people including myself want their D2Gs unlocked!!!!

ikari

Reaction score
I now confirm perfect sound on 2G, but no sound at all when making a call under 3G.

pronoun149

Reaction score
Does CM9 work?

Were you able to have it work in CM9?
If so did you have to radiocomm in stock and then add cm9?

After failing to get it working under CM9, I booted back into unsafe stock ROM (219)... and got the PIN prompt!
It still says that the SIM is from an unknown source, but it does connect to network.
I could dial a number without crashing the system, and send an SMS too!

KnightAR

Reaction score
I just changed the values on my Droid 4, and it booted up fine and I'm still using a Verizon SIM. Would anything change in the OS to show me that GSM was enabled without having a GSM sim?

I will be going to France in 2 weeks and I need to figure out if I can use my phone while I'm there or if I have to purchase a cell phone for the trip.

Thanks!

Germanguy

Reaction score
Any downsides to installing this hack? I assume this hack will be overwritten by the official ICS upgrade which has GSM enabled as part of the ICS ROM? Does anybody know whether the official droid 4 ICS Rom will force a SIM lock to only use verizon branded SIMs or can we still use other SiMS?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2